All AirHeads and BitHeads now Total, include gain switch
Mar 19, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #31 of 35
Excellent review, thank you.

After all the rumours, I'm happy to hear the Total Bithead has actually been updated. Now I can finally order one
580smile.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #33 of 35
Oh this is painful for my wallet. Why or why did there have to be an update just as I'm wishing for a nice neat solution for my ibook? I was a fan of the old total bithead, warts n all. I only sold it to start saving up money for my Nad c542.

I had said at the time that the TBH was the life of the party, wearing a Hawaian shirt and dancing on the tables, while the Porta Corda was sitting on the couch, martini in hand, pinky finger extended, discussing the merits of the music that TBH was dancing to. It's a good analogy and it's true of the flavor of both of those amps at the time.

Time has marched on though, and I'd love to see a comparison of the party guy and the intellectual, the new tbh to the pcIII now.
smily_headphones1.gif

In the meantime, I think this must go on my list of things to buy when I go back home this summer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 2:37 PM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Time has marched on though, and I'd love to see a comparison of the party guy and the intellectual, the new tbh to the pcIII now.
smily_headphones1.gif

I had avoided the Porta CORDA comparison since my Porta is Series I, but, if it could be helpful, here goes. It's only fair to say that the preproduction Total BitHead I was able to audition is better than my old Porta I powered 24VDC from the mains! Mains powering Porta (up to 32VDC) is the way to get them to blossom and "be all they can be" when driving the higher impedance high-end headphones. I don't know how they do it off of USB 5VDC, but the new Total BitHead has greater depth and breadth of impact, small detail subtlety, better and more solid soundstage imaging, and emotional involvement that my Series I Porta sourced similarly into HD580s. It may be time for Head-Fi (and its positive participants) to receive another pat on the back for improvement of the breed through comparison, suggestion, and dialogue with the various manufacturers. I know that five or ten years ago I would not have believed the rapid improvement in headphone kit that has taken place.

But back to the Total BitHead as a "party animal"; Kim, you are not going to believe what this does for tunes, movies, and games with you laptop. I started referring to my "portable home theater" back with the original Total BitHead, but the new just blows that away. Kick it up!

BTW, Kim, you know far better than I do on this, but I think I prefer Charleston before "malaria season" in the summer. Something right after official Spring Break ends in late March or April; early Spring weather and low country cooking. Damn!
icon10.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #35 of 35
LOL, something's messed up here. June is the most beautiful time in Helsinki. And we're going to Charleston?? But it's the only time we can go really. We have a saying there, that it's not so much the heat, but the humidity that will get you.
wink.gif

Gee, I wonder what I'll be ordering from Headroom when I get home?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back