Aliexpress Cables
Jun 15, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #3,511 of 4,362
Well funnily enough I was thinking similar but maybe foil tape inatead of / in addition to a wire tie. And yes I'm experimenting off-piste with these 2kg and 1kg copper blocks (need to learn my own way, make my own mistakes) but at least I'm using the recommended 6N 14ga x 2 wires!

20230615_185950.jpg

Jun 15, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #3,512 of 4,362
Well funnily enough I was thinking similar but maybe foil tape inatead of / in addition to a wire tie. And yes I'm experimenting off-piste with these 2kg and 1kg copper blocks (need to learn my own way, make my own mistakes) but at least I'm using the recommended 6N 14ga x 2 wires!
what change you heared?

tho i would advice to put this as close as possible to the device its connected to and keep the cable short... otherwise you building probably a good antenna, this is the case with all grounding boxes tho but the mass at the end might be even better in picking up noise

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #3,513 of 4,362
One thing i noticed specially with the few last tweaks i did is that many tweaks seem to "smoothen" out the sound, at times this can be interpreted as losing dynamic/overdampen things but imo this is the "true" improvement, it takes off the "edge" of sounds etc which might be because of noise

with this smooth sound you can also increase volume without it being "painful" or another thing i noticed was if you have quite high volume and you press midsong pause... with a bad tuned system you get a real "harsh" transition from play to pause... if your system is smooth enough there is nearly no difference between play and pause .... its hard to describe, you have to hear it

there are of course bad examples of really "overdamping" (for example ferritechokes on analogue interconnects) but imo ferrite chokes on usb cable can just improve things (unless you get dropouts because of mismatched impedance because of too much ferrite chokes), tho this might be not universal if your dac is also powered over usb
tho specially with usb you are so used to the edgy sound that you think you losing information that way, imo this is not the case, you just need to get used to the "smooth" sound, but ymmv

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #3,514 of 4,362
oh nice idea.. this should work on some chinch plugs too
LOL.. I installed the ground box at the DAC's BNC input. I was using this box to double the mass with one of the other boxes. I have to let it all settle in. But WOW, adding the 4th box at the DAC took timbre, PRaT and micro resolution to the point that is leaving me dumb founded. This is even with well recorded 192K YouTube videos. With higher resolution recordings it is mind blowing. I am soooo happy I decided to experiment with ground boxes. I cannot remember the last time I was this excited about audio.

The pic is the install. Will use Teflon plumbers tape to wrap and cover tomorrow when there is more light. The alligator clip is from the static mat.

Attachments

• Ground box BNC install.jpg
    Ground box BNC install.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 0
Jun 15, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #3,515 of 4,362
what change you heared?

tho i would advice to put this as close as possible to the device its connected to and keep the cable short... otherwise you building probably a good antenna, this is the case with all grounding boxes tho but the mass at the end might be even better in picking up noise

I haven't tried it yet. But I agree re potential for such a solid block that lacks the piezo electric dissipation of a ground box to potentially act as an aerial or become saturated and have backflow to the signal ground. So my plan is actually to connect these to my dedicated ground rod which will act as a drain... The idea being that the block acts as a large mass very local repository the HF noise will flow to quickly and easily, then it will trickle discharge to true earth and never have backflow...

That's the theory I'll test anyway.

Jun 15, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #3,516 of 4,362
You can also get an inline DC power conditioner called iFi audio DC iPurifier2 for about $130, to clean up the voltage for the likes of the USB-optical cable's decoder, and you can even pair it together with other iFi products such as their SPDIF converter. I've had one for about 6 months and it could never do anything but improve the sound, and not adding any harshness at all. As a matter of fact I'm buying my second one right this very moment. You can also add grounding boxes on the outside of barrel plugs, USB connections, RCA cables, DC LPS's, DAC ground, etc.

Thanks, it's nice to read that our accessories work for you :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 15, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #3,517 of 4,362
Is their any concensus on best value cable makers on alieexpress ? One that is willing to customize the connectors ?_? I need a Mini XLR -> 4 Pin XLR in a rather long length

Jun 15, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #3,518 of 4,362
Is their any concensus on best value cable makers on alieexpress ? One that is willing to customize the connectors ?_? I need a Mini XLR -> 4 Pin XLR in a rather long length
Most sellers are willing to customize cables for you if you ask.

Communication is sometimes rough though as alot of them use the aliexpress translate function.

Jun 15, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #3,519 of 4,362
You know what, based on your post I just thought of something. Using a wire tie to secure a ground cable like I did to coax connector, one could easily do the same to the ground of a BNC jack on a DAC or DDC. I am going to try it!
That's exactly the connection I've been using for most of my grounding boxes. I haven't even used the nice solderless RCA plugs yet, because I'm able to simply wrap the bare wire around DC barrel plugs, USB cables, etc. and just pinch it between the connection so it never comes out. Sometimes I could even have an alligator clamp over it. Or even try silver Faraday tape over it, but of course that makes it a PITA to remove if you need to disassemble stuff

Jun 15, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #3,520 of 4,362
That's exactly the connection I've been using for most of my grounding boxes. I haven't even used the nice solderless RCA plugs yet, because I'm able to simply wrap the bare wire around DC barrel plugs, USB cables, etc. and just pinch it between the connection so it never comes out. Sometimes I could even have an alligator clamp over it. Or even try silver Faraday tape over it, but of course that makes it a PITA to remove if you need to disassemble stuff
When it comes to disconnecting and reconnecting, which should be a rare occasion, yes not so handy like a solderless RCA plug. But for purity of contact, likely cannot be beat. No metals or solder to effect the mechanical connection.

Not so sure this method would work well with a USB metal housing. I have a Aucham silver plated copper 11ga. USB ground cable that sounds horrible. Will remove the silver plated wire and reuse what looks like gold plated brass housing and try it. Thanks for the idea.

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #3,521 of 4,362
@DecentLevi

Changed my mind. Just ordered two of these for $6.53 shipped. Gold plated copper USB A connectors. Will go and find my soldering station in storage and use Cardas Quad Eutectic or WBT silver solder to secure the cable to ground pin.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...st_main.5.17281802UGCfvZ&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Just tested this, the Aucham cable does not have continuity between the housing and the ground pin. This is probably why this sounds so bad. I am currently using a cheap USB cable with only what looks like 26ga or 24ga. copper ground wire to a box. Works but the effect is very slight, the cable is just sub optimal.

Jun 17, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #3,522 of 4,362
Really enjoying this thread, although my wallet isn’t.

Has anybody tried the Audioquest Thunderbird, Firebird or Dragon interconnects on AliExpress?
I have been tempted to try Dragon .... I have genuine AQ Thunderbird and bought Fire from Ali Express. The Fire quality led me to be tempted to try their Dragon ... especially as I know what genuine TB is like. These cables are either out of the side door of the same factory used by AQ or seconds sold on, surely ? Too close to the real thing. Far to close, apart from the price !

Jun 17, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #3,523 of 4,362
I have been tempted to try Dragon .... I have genuine AQ Thunderbird and bought Fire from Ali Express. The Fire quality led me to be tempted to try their Dragon ... especially as I know what genuine TB is like. These cables are either out of the side door of the same factory used by AQ or seconds sold on, surely ? Too close to the real thing. Far to close, apart from the price !
I am waiting on my Thunderbird rca from the audioson store. Should be here on Monday or Tuesday. I’ll let you know what it’s like. Positive thing is that they only declare 25 dollars, so you won’t pay a lot of fees. Price was 333 euros, only had to pay 275 with the discount, and payed about 25 euros import and taxes.

Jun 17, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #3,524 of 4,362
lol, You guys still plugging away at the tweaks? That's awesome. Recently bought a pair of Arya Stealth headphones and my desktop system with all the tweaks I did sounds stunning! Those Odin 2 power cables are no joke!! :)

20230613_201414.jpg

Jun 17, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #3,525 of 4,362
I am waiting on my Thunderbird rca from the audioson store. Should be here on Monday or Tuesday. I’ll let you know what it’s like. Positive thing is that they only declare 25 dollars, so you won’t pay a lot of fees. Price was 333 euros, only had to pay 275 with the discount, and payed about 25 euros import and taxes.
Be really interested to know your thoughts as my genuine TB is stunning in my system. The ‘fake’ Fire is great but not as good to my ears as the TB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back