Aliexpress Cables
Feb 20, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #2,866 of 4,362
Fwiw Akiko has some products that filter live, neutral & ground -- look at their Corelli or Minelli units. That said, it's not something I would take a diy approach on for safety reasons.
Exactly! 100% agree

Feb 20, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #2,867 of 4,362
@Jake2 You are right, i didnot read through.

@cdacosta i will take my chances with grounding earth. I don't see what wrong could happen. The material in the box is not likely to catch fire IMO. And not likely to prevent safety grounding from doing it's job in case a gear goes bezerk. Not much current will flow to the box logically. All this can be tested. Worst case scenario is if ac is applied, the box could get hot after a while, but the breaker should trip way before that. If not, we have a serious issue anyway.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #2,868 of 4,362
But maybe i miss something. In any case, all the metal enclosures and cable shields are connected to earth. The intent is not to protect you against a lightning strike... Just from a faulty wire inside a gear AFAIK.

Feb 20, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #2,869 of 4,362
Last thing, if a Chinese designer states that his box can be applied to earth, i don't have anymore reasons to doubt his word than the word of an American designer. Are there safety concerns stated by some designers, or is it a matter of effectiveness with sound quality improvement?

Feb 20, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #2,870 of 4,362
A chinese vendor will attach anything to anything if you ask and pay for it.

Just be aware that it doesn't mean its safe just because they're willing to do it.

Feb 21, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #2,871 of 4,362
A chinese vendor will attach anything to anything if you ask and pay for it.

Just be aware that it doesn't mean its safe just because they're willing to do it.
I don't see any reason why it would not be safe. And i have better respect for the Chinese. Any greedy seller of any country would do anything for money. The recent history shows this eloquently. I am sure you did not mean exactly this.

Feb 21, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #2,872 of 4,362
I don't see any reason why it would not be safe. And i have better respect for the Chinese. Any greedy seller of any country would do anything for money. The recent history shows this eloquently. I am sure you did not mean exactly this.
When I think of a word to describe aliexpress sellers, safe is probably the last thing I'd think of.

Screenshot_2021-02-01_US_13_99_Bluetooth_5_0_Handsfree_Wireless_Adapter_Stereo_Audio_Receiver...png

Feb 21, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #2,873 of 4,362
Some are excellent still. I can find you crappy us sellers. Or well regarded cies that sold defective products at some point.

There are crappy sellers on ali, i won't argue against this. But they are a minority. Buyers beware.

And to get back to my topic, grounding the chassis of gears is not exclusively suggested by Chinese makers, if you go through all grounding box makers. Grounding a chassis is equivalent to grounding earth. Designing box specifically for this kind of application has more to do with effectiveness than safety from all i could gather.

Feb 22, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #2,874 of 4,362
Speaking of getting back on topic, one of these guys is an Aliexpress cable I just plugged into my system for the first time this evening, can you pick it? It's very much holding its own in very good company including another just arrived quality new cable, also pictured...
20230222_222857.jpg

Will share impressions once things (incl my 2 days older Puritan) have had a chance to burn in for a week.

Edit - this pic so nicely encapsulates my adventures in clocking, power and cables of late it might just have to become my profile pic.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #2,875 of 4,362
Got this in today. Surprisingly fast, delivered in 8 days.

Alright, you guys are on to something here. I put it under my furutech plc and there is some improvement in the sound. Clipped on the ground of the PLC.

20230222_212411.JPG

20230222_232118.JPG

Feb 23, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #2,876 of 4,362
Got this in today. Surprisingly fast, delivered in 8 days.

Alright, you guys are on to something here. I put it under my furutech plc and there is some improvement in the sound. Clipped on the ground of the PLC.

20230222_212411.JPG
20230222_232118.JPG
I have one on the way. What is the sonic difference before and after?

Feb 23, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #2,877 of 4,362
I have one on the way. What is the sonic difference before and after?

It seems to be mitigating noise.

Sound becomes more transparent, like a light fog being lifted. Microdetails are more prominent, layering, imaging and separation are improved.

Very interesting. Its a pretty noticeable effect, equivalent to something like a fuse upgrade.

Feb 23, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #2,878 of 4,362
It seems to be mitigating noise.

Sound becomes more transparent, like a light fog being lifted. Microdetails are more prominent, layering, imaging and separation are improved.

Very interesting. Its a pretty noticeable effect, equivalent to something like a fuse upgrade.
Interesting because you have the mat on top of a wooden (or laminated wood) table, not on top of the carpet. I will report what experience I with the mat.

Feb 23, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #2,879 of 4,362
Received my Odin 2 1 metre power cord. It's an obvious fake but still a nice looking cable. Works fine and sounds good and very smooth on a TA-ZH1ES. I have had some experience with fine silver interconnects in the past and there is a bit of that essence, but of course I could be just hearing things..

Has anyone torn one of these down to see if it is actually silver plated coper? Or is it just silver paper shrink wrapped in?

Attachments

• nordost.jpg
    nordost.jpg
    657.6 KB · Views: 0
Feb 23, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #2,880 of 4,362
Received my Odin 2 1 metre power cord. It's an obvious fake but still a nice looking cable. Works fine and sounds good and very smooth on a TA-ZH1ES. I have had some experience with fine silver interconnects in the past and there is a bit of that essence, but of course I could be just hearing things..

Has anyone torn one of these down to see if it is actually silver plated coper? Or is it just silver paper shrink wrapped in?
It's some kind of copper/silver alloy. Iwas thinking assuming sterling silver but i think it's a higher% copper than sterling.

When @Crypt Keeper opened one up, the wiring was mostly silver but there was a little bit of copper in the center, indicating it may be something like coin silver which is less than 90% silver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back