Aliexpress Cables
Feb 14, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #2,806 of 4,362
@cdacosta & @dougms3 I'd appreciate your input on something I'm contemplating if you don't mind.

I've got a Puritan PSM156 power conditioner en route, along with their reasonably priced but well regarded grounding accessory (the 'Ground Master') that attaches to the ground terminal on the PSM156.

The Ground Master (GM) box has an 'output' connection that is intended to be connected to a dedicated copper ground rod hammered into the earth in the usual manner, Puritan's advice being to locate this ground rod a good distance away from the ground rod used as the safety earth one's house's mains electrical system. The GM contains high pass filtering that passes only frequencies greater than 50/60hz so is not a route for grounding mains AC mains frequency current and is (theoretically) as a result safe. The theory is it effectively grounds not only noise on the ground wire of the PSM156 received from the connected devices but any noise on the ground wire of a building's mains wiring, whatever the source - the grid and/or other devices connected to household mains.

See my post here on the Puritan thread for more info and a Youtube link that clearly demonstrates the audible benefit of grounding vs not.

I'm prepared to try the ground rod route, using good quality cable along the lines of what you described for grounding boxes (and/or what the guy used in the vid - 10 gauge silver-plated copper cable), and potentially 'seasoning' the earth into which I insert the ground rod using some combination of the minerals you have found work well in grounding boxes to enhance its conductivity, not to mention watering it liberally. If I got really carried away I might even use a second ground rod.

Some thoughts occurred to me:
  • that I could potentially just skip the ground rod and use a high capacity ground box - if the latter was easier, though could this have safety implications?
  • assuming no safety issues the downside of using a ground box might be that it would have finite capacity to which the grounds (or at least the >60hz noise on the ground wires) of the six devices connected to the PSM156 would be connected - could this be an issue
  • use of this grounding of the ground pins of connected AC cords would be in addition to my grounding of the signal circuitry of my devices using grounding boxes e.g. to outer ground of RCA connector. Does this create any conflict or adverse consequences or is it purely complementary?
Appreciate any thoughts or guidance you may have on this.
Thats a complicated question.

To be honest, its difficult to theorize which would be more beneficial unless you try both to find out. This is all uncharted territory since your application is very specific.

For me, I'd just go with the ground box because of convenience. Its not practical to connect a grounding rod to the audio system. I always wanted to try adding additional grounding rods to the electrical system to see if it yields any benefits but I live in an apt.

Additional or even excess grounding shouldn't cause any adverse or negative effects to the audio. How much is too much is hard to say, since I've never tried to reach a limit.

Logic says all grounds are connected, so should yield same results. Real world umm no. Thanks for the reply. When I have time I will look into this further. Inexpensive enough to try.
PC case is the ground. You can connect it to one of the bare metal screws on the case.

Feb 14, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #2,807 of 4,362
@cdacosta & @dougms3 I'd appreciate your input on something I'm contemplating if you don't mind.

I've got a Puritan PSM156 power conditioner en route, along with their reasonably priced but well regarded grounding accessory (the 'Ground Master') that attaches to the ground terminal on the PSM156.

The Ground Master (GM) box has an 'output' connection that is intended to be connected to a dedicated copper ground rod hammered into the earth in the usual manner, Puritan's advice being to locate this ground rod a good distance away from the ground rod used as the safety earth one's house's mains electrical system. The GM contains high pass filtering that passes only frequencies greater than 50/60hz so is not a route for grounding mains AC mains frequency current and is (theoretically) as a result safe. The theory is it effectively grounds not only noise on the ground wire of the PSM156 received from the connected devices but any noise on the ground wire of a building's mains wiring, whatever the source - the grid and/or other devices connected to household mains.

See my post here on the Puritan thread for more info and a Youtube link that clearly demonstrates the audible benefit of grounding vs not.

I'm prepared to try the ground rod route, using good quality cable along the lines of what you described for grounding boxes (and/or what the guy used in the vid - 10 gauge silver-plated copper cable), and potentially 'seasoning' the earth into which I insert the ground rod using some combination of the minerals you have found work well in grounding boxes to enhance its conductivity, not to mention watering it liberally. If I got really carried away I might even use a second ground rod.

Some thoughts occurred to me:
  • that I could potentially just skip the ground rod and use a high capacity ground box - if the latter was easier, though could this have safety implications?
  • assuming no safety issues the downside of using a ground box might be that it would have finite capacity to which the grounds (or at least the >60hz noise on the ground wires) of the six devices connected to the PSM156 would be connected - could this be an issue
  • use of this grounding of the ground pins of connected AC cords would be in addition to my grounding of the signal circuitry of my devices using grounding boxes e.g. to outer ground of RCA connector. Does this create any conflict or adverse consequences or is it purely complementary?
Appreciate any thoughts or guidance you may have on this.
The use of a second ground rod is something many audiophiles imploy with dedicated lines, although I have never tried this with my dedicated lines. I would not try or recommend the ground boxes I have been sharing info on for AC grounding. These ground boxes or what Entreq sells are for line level signals like at the RCA inputs or outputs of components/gear.

The high pass filtering are likely AC rated caps that filter out certain frequency bands. I have experimented and prototyped with a designer (he sells these passive devices) such devices and they work. I use two such devices in my home office where the headphone system is located.

Feb 14, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #2,808 of 4,362
Thats a complicated question.

To be honest, its difficult to theorize which would be more beneficial unless you try both to find out. This is all uncharted territory since your application is very specific.
The use of a second ground rod is something many audiophiles imploy with dedicated lines, although I have never tried this with my dedicated lines. I would not try or recommend the ground boxes I have been sharing info on for AC grounding. These ground boxes or what Entreq sells are for line level signals like at the RCA inputs or outputs of components/gear.
Thanks both. Will keep you posted as to how I get on once it arrives and I do some experimentation.

Feb 15, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #2,809 of 4,362
I got my HiFi Audio Speaker Stand Foot Pad Anti-shock Absorber Spike Isolation Feet from Hi IC Store yesterday.. 2nd time ordering this and still have yet to try 'em. I'll bet the guy who stole the first delivery didn't have the foggiest clue what to do with these :o2smile:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832725412366.html

I got the Gold ceramic bead type and it comes with extra steel beads. Can someone remind me what those screws are for?

20230215_115512.jpg

Feb 15, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #2,810 of 4,362
I got my HiFi Audio Speaker Stand Foot Pad Anti-shock Absorber Spike Isolation Feet from Hi IC Store yesterday.. 2nd time ordering this and still have yet to try 'em. I'll bet the guy who stole the first delivery didn't have the foggiest clue what to do with these :o2smile:

I got the Gold ceramic bead type and it comes with extra steel beads. Can someone remind me what those screws are for?

20230215_115512.jpg
Those are for when your speakers or isolation platforms have threaded inserts.

Feb 15, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #2,812 of 4,362
Hi Guys,

It seems quite a few have you’ve been quite busy since my last visit | as I was able to purchase one of the Accuphase 40th Anniversary cords in which Shiraz has praised | I can say both the more costlier Odin Gold and Odin 2 were sold, as I simply found this $34 power cord, which can be found on eBay which ships directly from the USA, so no waiting involved.

Yet I’d like to ask why many of you simply aren’t buying the Entreaq Micro Kit Groundbox Kit | which goes for $260, and be done with the concept of grounding boxes?, as well as the layering of Faraday tape on every items?, because of my admitted anal retentive manners, I’d more than likely place it nearest the opening once again of any given power cord, as well as internally as opposed to wrapping it completely around or along the length of said grounding boxes, being a near 65 year old cat | maybe it’s just me?, but I tend to buy my components based on both sound and overall appearances, if forced to buy used….., I’ve never settled upon anything with dents | dinks | scuffed cabinets | certainly not pushed in drivers, much like home decor, I’ve to be able to live and look at said items with a sense of pride.

Also little devices still exist like the old PS Audio Noise Harvesters or Audioprism QuietLines which offset EMI | RFI noise from entering one’s system can be just as effective as said grounding boxes | as these attack said noises at the source before entering ones system….., the AC Receptacle(s) as I used three of the Add-Powr ElectraClear eau4 ( which can be found on sell for $249 time to time ) as shown here have proven to be very very effective:

https://add-powr.com/shop/ols/products/eau4

I also took Shiraz at his word | have one of the Monosaudio P902 PCs en route….., truth be earlier the majority of said NEARdost cables are gone, with the exception of their amazing sounding ( too me ) USB Cables, of which I also have a Xangsane Pure Silver version coming in as well.

I’d once again like to thank those of you whom were wi to share your insight into said cables, as it has been a wonderful journey indeed.
Until next time, be well | stay safe young men.

Attachments

• F46EC560-E301-4205-817C-86F4B13A04AE.jpeg
    F46EC560-E301-4205-817C-86F4B13A04AE.jpeg
    842.5 KB · Views: 0
  • CF073643-DE91-472D-9F9F-98298355F9B6.jpeg
    CF073643-DE91-472D-9F9F-98298355F9B6.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 0
Feb 15, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #2,813 of 4,362
Hi Guys,

It seems quite a few have you’ve been quite busy since my last visit | as I was able to purchase one of the Accuphase 40th Anniversary cords in which Shiraz has praised | I can say both the more costlier Odin Gold and Odin 2 were sold, as I simply found this $34 power cord, which can be found on eBay which ships directly from the USA, so no waiting involved.

Yet I’d like to ask why many of you simply aren’t buying the Entreaq Micro Kit Groundbox Kit | which goes for $260, and be done with the concept of grounding boxes?, as well as the layering of Faraday tape on every items?, because of my admitted anal retentive manners, I’d more than likely place it nearest the opening once again of any given power cord, as well as internally as opposed to wrapping it completely around or along the length of said grounding boxes, being a near 65 year old cat | maybe it’s just me?, but I tend to buy my components based on both sound and overall appearances, if forced to buy used….., I’ve never settled upon anything with dents | dinks | scuffed cabinets | certainly not pushed in drivers, much like home decor, I’ve to be able to live and look at said items with a sense of pride.

Also little devices still exist like the old PS Audio Noise Harvesters or Audioprism QuietLines which offset EMI | RFI noise from entering one’s system can be just as effective as said grounding boxes | as these attack said noises at the source before entering ones system….., the AC Receptacle(s) as I used three of the Add-Powr ElectraClear eau4 ( which can be found on sell for $249 time to time ) as shown here have proven to be very very effective:

https://add-powr.com/shop/ols/products/eau4

I also took Shiraz at his word | have one of the Monosaudio P902 PCs en route….., truth be earlier the majority of said NEARdost cables are gone, with the exception of their amazing sounding ( too me ) USB Cables, of which I also have a Xangsane Pure Silver version coming in as well.

I’d once again like to thank those of you whom were wi to share your insight into said cables, as it has been a wonderful journey indeed.
Until next time, be well | stay safe young men.
Reason why I chose to DIY is flexibility, volume of material and to experiment with different mix of material. Was not an original factor but DIY costs less. Ground boxes are to filter line level ground signals, not AC power or ground.

Feb 16, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #2,816 of 4,362

20230215_115512.jpg
Got a chance to try these! I was amazed that these do bass definition (full with desirable heft and body) and treble quality better than any other footers I've tried which includes rubber, sorbothane, pucks, etc. I did still prefer the red pucks under my power conditioner though since these highlighted the treble a bit too much there, but under my solid state amp it's like a dream come true. I've still yet to try it with the ceramic beads on both that it came with.

Feb 16, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #2,817 of 4,362
Got a chance to try these! I was amazed that these do bass definition (full with desirable heft and body) and treble quality better than any other footers I've tried which includes rubber, sorbothane, pucks, etc. I did still prefer the red pucks under my power conditioner though since these highlighted the treble a bit too much there, but under my solid state amp it's like a dream come true. I've still yet to try it with the ceramic beads on both that it came with.
Alright @DecentLevi you’ve sold me - just ordered some black ceramic ones! 😁

Feb 16, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #2,818 of 4,362
It's really amazing how of an effect these footers can influence the sound.

And just like you, i recently discovered that different footers have different effects.

Feb 16, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #2,819 of 4,362
Would love to hear what the basic sonic differences are between those two cables.
Yeah, so would I! it is a huge PITA to swap power cables in my system, too many things on too many shelves, too small of a space and too old of an old man!
But, I will someday soon do this and see what gives, I've got to break it down to put the carbon fiber face plate on the AC outlet someday!

I also have to ask my cat for permission...
cat00003.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #2,820 of 4,362
Yeah, so would I! it is a huge PITA to swap power cables in my system, too many things on too many shelves, too small of a space and too old of an old man!
But, I will someday soon do this and see what gives, I've got to break it down to put the carbon fiber face plate on the AC outlet someday!

I also have to ask my cat for permission...

hwL_qmvv7sZ6O7lY8pLXaI0pncK5Vpr-TNepvfDj97s1xrJ2zIEucCTEwz9IJWXwSQyXO_to0LZ-60NHUNtyHjMJ0q_nehkvsszew5WvUkFhYFjFVreNUAE3QYmaJKFbysYNdi-dVKeQU0B3y9uZBjctjHoRTDEpTtkv_JTc55Ye4Tqn_nN6StU30kdHWxkqXgF5vX_BX25vPIE6VDNT6VQxlCLKxz6ZPTNIGDFs9JIREO7F_--ibdmyqIzseZZl_ItTp4WlrvcfbeGkOJn8eU3cDLLz5dxOSsAPBF2Sl4oWhMd83ADT4Q0eiCJDTmf0bB1p4BYDDuynMzlWGm9AkaXAXMvbWKKalx5PxHRE51ZtNLr5mj7umkl2OAP9HiR2F_0_XNXeuBiFVaaxdd8Vc5GVKFCxKHNpMvlu6cFDqX9s79Q7ahT44IoZ_MFlOHNtQs8rmLIyEFi-_x_VdfFMbSV7VVxTjkbl09tvNuoWpZ6xSJSUhoPmdtDOsBmSfevSJdpjq9lI6dM6ZEvJ8TT0-OHe2n-t-FwnvbZTCeG5CTdzbs5ev5I3xWK-8t-Kqa6qLcp_cGwQforhQ14g1gNY9XEl0LbhgTGBHc4s2vNIuXgqPnlUOgEY_hchASiZxQ3T2c-h0q473tSSji0GNeUqWT14hbKGU52LSkGzsH0oRaRcdctQJjrwJTALAAIs_QVA7ED9hNmA0iVudf2adVwe1ud7fOFz1lYC9tZyuHXdckUYpomjE2Oq9_Mut_ttBPD6drN0PLABZvqGsnGD8PFMkc9Lz-Q9tEWhqWH3vmuRxRQ8CW4QzE62zGad6jjelr60JhtBIKY0LW3ZM4JuL-iLMxQnIN5btYF9AFc8Fj1WIBsLXtyovSpWDjLdO_wAVK3qrkRVOwMATzMiF3McNNPM95Ph908M9qjlshrbp-BoK5XufydYVQ=w482-h855-no
Thats a great photo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back