Aliexpress Cables
Feb 8, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #2,761 of 4,456
Where will you be using the ta102 tape?

I wouldn't use that one in dacs or amps, its very powerful. The ta32 is better for caps imo because you can always layer on more if needed. The ta102 is quite thick at 1mm and I cut them into quarters after hole punching.

Some examples of how I used the ta102 tape. The dac is the ares II, I got overenthusiastic with the tape and put it on every single cap and it absolutely flattened the sound though it did sound more resolving, detailed and reduced noise. I later tried quarters on them but it was still too much and just decided not to use it on the dac because it was too powerful. Same thing happened on my master 19 amp, I tried varying amounts of the tape but I really did not like that it killed dynamics, stage and bass.

I wasted an entire package of the ta102 tape to learn these things.

Its best used on power devices like a plc or to reinforce thin plastic or metal. It helps the material to mimic a thicker, denser material so theres much less resonance. Like in the 58x, there is some weird grain in the upper mids that I learned was a result of the sound resonating off the plastic. I know this because the tape removed 95% of that grain. I also used in the breaker box.

2021-06-257.jpg2021-07-13.jpg207621-06-26.jpg2021-08-14.jpgIMG_20210712_155721_hdr.jpg
I'm thinking to get some TA 32 and TA 102. Are those the main two or wasn't there another one, like fQ.A. t-102 or something?
What is a good source / price for shipping to the U.S.?

I'm thinking to use these on the HEDDphone, my DDC, LPS, amp, etc.

Feb 8, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #2,762 of 4,456
Feb 8, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #2,763 of 4,456
Is this a good multi-size hole puncher? I'm not sure if it goes big enough
https://www.jbtools.com/general-tools-72-leather-hole-punch-tool-6-multi-hole-sizes/

@dougms3 you said The ta102 is quite thick at 1mm and I cut them into quarters after hole punching.
May be a stupid question, but did you cut it width-wise to make it thinner? And if so, how could you do that?
You want this...

https://www.amazon.com/Spurtar-Holl...prefix=leather+hole+punch,aps,155&sr=8-6&th=1

Feb 8, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #2,764 of 4,456
So long as you are happy! What is your source component? Should treat your source component also. See those molex plugs in the pic you provided? Cut a small square piece and place on the side of the molex plugs. Small slither of a piece on any glass fuses. While you are inside your gear, if you have Furutech Nano liquid treat all internal mechanical connections also. The fo.Q TA-102 and Furutech Nano Liquid will provide a nice and easy sonic upgrade to any component.

My source is the Innuos Zen. All my FLAC files are stored there, and Qobuz.
Zen->DAC->Preamp-Amp

I'll try the molex next... I've also been wanting to order the Nano liquid, but haven't yet. will do that next.

Feb 8, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #2,765 of 4,456
https://www.jbtools.com/general-tools-72-leather-hole-punch-tool-6-multi-hole-sizes/

@dougms3 you said The ta102 is quite thick at 1mm and I cut them into quarters after hole punching.
May be a stupid question, but did you cut it width-wise to make it thinner? And if so, how could you do that?

I bought the one @cdacosta mentioned. the problem I see with the jbtools one, is since the punch is hollow, how are you going to get them out?
With the hammer set, the pieces get stuck in the end hole, and I had to use a chopstick to push them out.

Feb 8, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #2,766 of 4,456
I'm thinking to get some TA 32 and TA 102. Are those the main two or wasn't there another one, like fQ.A. t-102 or something?
What is a good source / price for shipping to the U.S.?

I'm thinking to use these on the HEDDphone, my DDC, LPS, amp, etc.
There's those two and the phone art tape which is for iems.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/SW01-Porta...=1675880691&sprefix=phone+art,aps,176&sr=8-16

The phone art tape i got from amazon Japan there other two i got from ebay. Price fluctuates but i think you can get them around$50.

Feb 8, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #2,767 of 4,456
The way Doug used the tape is correct but too much. On caps you can use a hole punch, like I did or Doug shows in his pics. Apply on top of cap, not the sides. Or you can just cut small squares around 1/8' square. But the dots have to be smaller. like Doug says, they work really well at dampening micro vibrations. Too much and will over dampen them. Best I have used or heard anyone use for micro vibrations. There are as many uses you can come up with. Here are some of the best off the top of my head:

for TA-102:
* On top of caps on all components including inside your PC or source component.
* Across the back strap of AC outlet.
* Between the Mickey Mouse looking ears of an AC outlet and the surface it is mounted to.
* Small dot on the bottom of a speaker driver or subwoofer. Will tighten and make bass more accurate/tuneful.
* small piece on top of Coax cable nut for Cable service
* on top of PC board inside components where there is no signal tracing
* on top of volume pot casing inside component.
* The outer side of speaker bracket bracing
* small piece(s) on top of fuses inside components
* on the circuit breaker switch on AC panel
* Headphones to tame baffle and housing vibrations
* I prefer TA-32 for this, but TA-102 can be used on the outside of any power and signal cable connector housing. This is audio or video.
* On the inside of component, around the edges of the IEC socket housing

Make sure you clean the surface you are applying the TA-102 to with isopropyl alcohol before securing the TA-102 to surface. Like with all audio tweaks, go slow. Apply to caps on one component and listen. About 80% of the effect will be immediate and will take the adhesive approx. 72 hours to fully cure. Then treat a different component and listen. And so forth. The tape can be easily removed, but will not just come off on its own unless it is extremely hot like around audio tubes. I have yet to hear a negative effect from using any foQ dampening product, but if you over do it you might.
This is a great guide thanks - we should sticky it! :)

Feb 8, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #2,768 of 4,456

I cut them in quarters, so they look like small 1mm triangles.

Its very powerful stuff and I got fed up with trying to figure out how much to use because I couldn't find a balance between the negative and positive effects.

I just used a regular paper hole punch and I'm ashamed to say I own a set of these.

https://www.amazon.com/BearBoss-Handmade-Scrapbook-Different-Scrapbooking/dp/B081CVJY7H/

Feb 9, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #2,769 of 4,456
Feb 9, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #2,770 of 4,456
This is a great guide thanks - we should sticky it! :)
Ok here is some more uses...

* As mentioned before not necessary to punch dots, can use scissors to cut small squares. Apply small piece of TA-102 to all Molex connectors inside gear or AC power conditioners.
* On the side of AC outlets. AC current flow will generate slight vibrations and this help with that.
* I use to place some on the inside of AC baby protector plugs. Doug went and did it this way, like in the pic provided. When used on the same AC circuit, does help to eliminate vibration within that outlet. Although slight, effect Is audible when listening to system. When a system reaches a specific level, any improvement is welcomed.
* On chassis of SMPS units.
* Inside or outside of components, by line level input and outputs. Use a strip along each side of the input or output.
* Used between rack shelf and rack structure.
* If used in a home system (not headphone system) large dots or squares can be used on window glass corners. Sounds crazy but this works well. TA-32 works well also for this application.
* Excellent for headphones to dampen vibration, which can drastically improve performance. I used TA-102 and TA-32 to drastically improve performance on a pair of Sony z7m2 headphones. I posted how to do this and other mods on that thread.

TA-32 (thinner bendable version of the TA-102):
* Just like the fo.Q website shows:
http://www.foq.jp/foqhp_e/product/ta32.html

Keep in mind when treating a audio system with vibration dampening material like fo.Q, there will be some applications that will be more audible than others. Goal is to overall improve sonic performance. When an entire system is treated you will know it has been improved. Will be obvious that it is not placebo.

Attachments

• FoQ TA-102 on AC baby protector.jpg
    FoQ TA-102 on AC baby protector.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 0
Feb 9, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #2,771 of 4,456
Leather punch set is cheaper, but those pink ones are cute. LOL
I can use them to cut the tape as well as mod my audio gear and also make a scrapbook with all kinds of wicked circles.

Double and triple and quadruple circles even....but I need to get another set for the hearts and stars.

Feb 9, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #2,772 of 4,456
Thanks again. I ordered a couple of packs of TA-102 today, so will join the club whenever I get them in late Feb. Till then I'm still experimenting with the alu-butyl, though I learned a lesson today re its tackiness.. applied it to the rear of my TV of all places but it bonded and quasi liquefied because of the plastic substrate it was on and was very hard to remove and partially pulled off a plasticised info panel. I'm not going near caps or circuit boards with it, will wait for the TA-102.

I did however have success sticking a 5 x 10cm block on the back of a portable Sony FM radio - a medium sized one with really good tone, and sure enough the rattles disappeared and the sound got a bit more solid.

Feb 9, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #2,773 of 4,456
Where did you buy the TA-32, TA-102 tapes?

Feb 9, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #2,774 of 4,456
Where did you buy the TA-32, TA-102 tapes?
eBay, comes shipped from Japan. They are made in Japan. Takes about 10-15 days to get it after ordering. To treat a system I would recommend one pack each TA-102 and TA-32. There are dealers in US that sell the fo.Q products but the price will be about double. On eBay they will be about $60 shipped each. This should be enough to treat an entire system.

Feb 9, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #2,775 of 4,456
Everything looked to be OK. One screw on one of the covers where a bit loose though.
I had a similar experience with the Odin 2 PC, which was bettered slightly by the Odin Gold - they are great for the price and famous for it but easy to improve upon on AliExpress. The Monosaudio P902 is in a different league altogether and brought better dynamics, separation and extension on both ends. I'm one of a few avid converts to that cable here in Sydney.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back