Aliexpress Cables
Feb 4, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #2,733 of 4,362
Hi @cdacosta tried to piece mill together your use of fo.q tape in this thread, but could you provide a summary of where you've used this with good results?

I got the TA-102 in today, and have read it does well on sides or tops of capacitors, I'm gonna get a hollow hole punch kit to make nice fitting pieces for all my caps.

Feb 4, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #2,734 of 4,362
Hi @cdacosta tried to piece mill together your use of fo.q tape in this thread, but could you provide a summary of where you've used this with good results?

I got the TA-102 in today, and have read it does well on sides or tops of capacitors, I'm gonna get a hollow hole punch kit to make nice fitting pieces for all my caps.
Where will you be using the ta102 tape?

I wouldn't use that one in dacs or amps, its very powerful. The ta32 is better for caps imo because you can always layer on more if needed. The ta102 is quite thick at 1mm and I cut them into quarters after hole punching.

Some examples of how I used the ta102 tape. The dac is the ares II, I got overenthusiastic with the tape and put it on every single cap and it absolutely flattened the sound though it did sound more resolving, detailed and reduced noise. I later tried quarters on them but it was still too much and just decided not to use it on the dac because it was too powerful. Same thing happened on my master 19 amp, I tried varying amounts of the tape but I really did not like that it killed dynamics, stage and bass.

I wasted an entire package of the ta102 tape to learn these things.

Its best used on power devices like a plc or to reinforce thin plastic or metal. It helps the material to mimic a thicker, denser material so theres much less resonance. Like in the 58x, there is some weird grain in the upper mids that I learned was a result of the sound resonating off the plastic. I know this because the tape removed 95% of that grain. I also used in the breaker box.

2021-06-257.jpg
2021-07-13.jpg
207621-06-26.jpg
2021-08-14.jpg
IMG_20210712_155721_hdr.jpg

Feb 4, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #2,735 of 4,362
After hearing about the antics in this thread from the SBAF forum I have ordered an Odin 2 power cord for kicks.

At least it will look good.

Feb 4, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #2,736 of 4,362
After hearing about the antics in this thread from the SBAF forum I have ordered an Odin 2 power cord for kicks.

At least it will look good.
If you're using just a generic power cable right now, it will do alot more than just look good.

Feb 5, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #2,737 of 4,362
If you're using just a generic power cable right now, it will do alot more than just look good.
I bought a Odin 2 (50 cm) from Aliexpress and compared that to the stock power cable on my Ragnarok 2 using Modi 3 and Abyss 1266 PHI TC. The Odin had some distortion in the upper frequencies in female vocals, where as the stock cable had none. It had almost no burn in when I did a comparison, but the stock cable sounded way better as described. I`m a bit suprised that I heard any difference at all, me not being a "cable believer".

Feb 5, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #2,738 of 4,362
I bought a Odin 2 (50 cm) from Aliexpress and compared that to the stock power cable on my Ragnarok 2 using Modi 3 and Abyss 1266 PHI TC. The Odin had some distortion in the upper frequencies in female vocals, where as the stock cable had none. It had almost no burn in when I did a comparison, but the stock cable sounded way better as described. I`m a bit suprised that I heard any difference at all, me not being a "cable believer".
Well I'd recommend checking to see if the cable is properly terminated.

Why'd you buy the cable at all if you're not a "cable believer"?

Feb 5, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #2,739 of 4,362
Well I'd recommend checking to see if the cable is properly terminated.

Why'd you buy the cable at all if you're not a "cable believer"?
Open it up at the terminations and verify?

I wasn`t, but when I tried a different cable on my 1266, I heard a pretty clear difference. So I guess I`m converted now. And the Odin 2 where a bit cheaper when I bought it, so I thought why not.

Feb 5, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #2,740 of 4,362
Open it up at the terminations and verify?

I wasn`t, but when I tried a different cable on my 1266, I heard a pretty clear difference. So I guess I`m converted now. And the Odin 2 where a bit cheaper when I bought it, so I thought why not.
Yes. Its possible it was not properly terminated.

If theres distortion, it could be the ground is not secure.

These aliexpress sellers are not known for their attention to detail.

Feb 5, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #2,742 of 4,362

The way Doug used the tape is correct but too much. On caps you can use a hole punch, like I did or Doug shows in his pics. Apply on top of cap, not the sides. Or you can just cut small squares around 1/8' square. But the dots have to be smaller. like Doug says, they work really well at dampening micro vibrations. Too much and will over dampen them. Best I have used or heard anyone use for micro vibrations. There are as many uses you can come up with. Here are some of the best off the top of my head:

for TA-102:
* On top of caps on all components including inside your PC or source component.
* Across the back strap of AC outlet.
* Between the Mickey Mouse looking ears of an AC outlet and the surface it is mounted to.
* Small dot on the bottom of a speaker driver or subwoofer. Will tighten and make bass more accurate/tuneful.
* small piece on top of Coax cable nut for Cable service
* on top of PC board inside components where there is no signal tracing
* on top of volume pot casing inside component.
* The outer side of speaker bracket bracing
* small piece(s) on top of fuses inside components
* on the circuit breaker switch on AC panel
* Headphones to tame baffle and housing vibrations
* I prefer TA-32 for this, but TA-102 can be used on the outside of any power and signal cable connector housing. This is audio or video.
* On the inside of component, around the edges of the IEC socket housing

Make sure you clean the surface you are applying the TA-102 to with isopropyl alcohol before securing the TA-102 to surface. Like with all audio tweaks, go slow. Apply to caps on one component and listen. About 80% of the effect will be immediate and will take the adhesive approx. 72 hours to fully cure. Then treat a different component and listen. And so forth. The tape can be easily removed, but will not just come off on its own unless it is extremely hot like around audio tubes. I have yet to hear a negative effect from using any foQ dampening product, but if you over do it you might.

Feb 5, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #2,743 of 4,362
The Odin2 needs about 600 hours burn in, that's the catch.

Feb 6, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #2,744 of 4,362
The Odin2 needs about 600 hours burn in, that's the catch.
Yep, same with the Odin Gold power cord. Until about 400 or so of AC power draw through them the system will sound all over the place, and can change day to day. LOL Full burn-in is 600+ hours. Seems a bit out there, but yes I had the same burn-in experience with both power cords.

Feb 6, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #2,745 of 4,362
Here is a heads up and update on using powder or sand sized Tungsten with ground boxes. The Tungsten grade I purchased from Aliexpress in both powder and sand sized was 99.9%. Interesting thing is shortly after ordering, both links disappear and no longer are available on Aliexpress. I did receive both orders placed. Tungsten is the most expensive ingredient by weight I use for ground boxes. Aliexpress by far was the lowest price I could find.

I like what the Tungsten does for Magnetite mixes. But works even better for the Tourmaline mix I currently am using on the Jotunheim 2 amp. I am still experimenting with how much to add, and will adding more increase performance?

For those wondering what Tungsten does for the mixes, especially for the ones I have previously mentioned? With the ground boxes on all my components, sonically the system sounds amazing. It is hard to put into words what adding Tungsten does. When listening to music, feels like it adds a beauty to the presentation. The trailing edge of notes more defined, and improves timbre also. Basically I hear just that little bit more and the system feels more refined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back