Aliexpress Cables
Dec 28, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #2,461 of 4,415
While I already have fair experience with the Furutech nano liquid, is it others experiences also that it tends to make things bright or even overtly clinical? I could redo the silvet tape on my system then more of this liquid and strike a balance, but most of my system already has it and it also seems as if this liquid needs frequent reapplication. Especially if it is a connection that you disconnect on a semi-frequent basis, it doesn't last more than a couple times. Even with connections that don't move, it seems to dissipate within a matter of 2 months tops maybe? This little bottle does get costly also.

One area I haven't done is all my USB connections on my non audio chain and USB bus Bridge. But the connections are so small that it may cause arcing if I'm not careful.
I dont know about clinical but its just maximizing surface contact and conductivity at the connectors. One of the aspects I've noticed is that it does give more energy and detail to the treble but I wouldn't say bright.

Shouldn't need to reapply unless you are constantly plugging and unplugging. Best to use it on connections that won't be removed.

Works well on all terminations, I would say really well on usb. (dont forget to coat the inside of the usb connector, not just the outside).

As I said, I think its best to apply the nano liquid first on all connections then fine tune with the tape. Otherwise its going to be a nightmare to get it exactly where you want it.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #2,462 of 4,415
I have been using these caps and ones like it for more than 20 years. In my systems and components the effect they made were barely audible. With the fo.Q. T-102 on it like the ones in the pic there is a slight improvement if enough of the caps are used. More then anything I used them to keep the RCA or XLR jacks from gathering dust and dirt.
I would agree with the rca and xlr caps but on the aes connector, it made a bigger difference. I don't know why, I'm assuming they were picking up alot of stray EMI as I live in an apt complex. My phone picks up at least 30 wifi broadcasts. Maybe the digital connectors are more prone to picking up EMI?

Its definitely showing the aspects of reduced noise.

Dec 28, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #2,463 of 4,415
While I already have fair experience with the Furutech nano liquid, is it others experiences also that it tends to make things bright or even overtly clinical?
Never encountered with use of Furutech Nano Liquid causing brightness or nudging system toward neutral or clinical. There is a 72 hour or so break-in, but I suspect that is not what you are encountering. The Nano Liquid is improving the mechanical connection by minimizing the electrical micro arcing of that connection.. This will not cause your system to be bright. What Nano Liquid does do is allow you to hear more accurately how that component and or cable combination performs in your system. Nano Liquid does not lose effectiveness in a few months unless you disconnect the connection a few times.

If I would to guestimate, I believe Doug is correct. It is the over use, or where you are using the shielding tape. Shielding whether using this tape, copper or any other material in certain areas of an audio system can cause unwanted side effects. This is why I on more than one occasion warn of going slow and testing one location at a time and let it sit overnight, then re-evaluate. For some odd reason it takes an audio system time to all stabilize to such tweaks in a system. Could never explain it but it happens whenever I use such tweaks.

Dec 28, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #2,464 of 4,415
Wonderful job, Crypt Keeper,

This along with dougms3 having mentioned how the Valhalla PC compares to the Odin Gold has inspired me to buy both | here I was thinking I was finished with the whole cabling thing | yet at their prices I’ve to say why not?, it doesn’t hurt to explore | so onwards and outwards.
Thanks for keeping me interested in said items.

Happier New Year to you | your loved ones | as well as everyone here. Enjoy the
seasons to come.
O_o scar
1672272704989.jpeg
But you have not tried the Dragon & Siltech triple crown yet ... These are the best :)

Dec 28, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #2,465 of 4,415
Dec 29, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #2,466 of 4,415
How do they compare to the gold odin?
I would say , like $8 Ali cord compares to the cheap version of the Odinz … The real Odin2 , or expensive version of Odin2/ Odin2 Gold is close to the Dragon… That Siltech TC is better than Dragon … I would say with better plugs it’s 80 % of the real thing…. That’s how good the TC Cable is… Again just IMHO… Batteries not included and Ur milage may vary…

Cheap Odin2 <-- Wel<--- Expensive Odin2 <--- Dragon <--- Siltech TC

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #2,467 of 4,415
Here is an interesting use for the shielding tape. After reading previously DecentLevi trying the tape around the video plugs I believe, I thought that may do something. I have three 24" monitors that use HDMI cables. First try was at PC. Tried wrapping the cable connector with different width tape. Even at one connection the sound or presentation compressed, no good. Did not look at the video to see if anything changed.

Tried wrapping the IEC power cable connectors at the monitors, that improved video color and separation a bit. Ok this is good, left it. Did nothing to audio. Then tried wrapping the video connectors at monitors, did a bit of the same like the power cord application, again good. Still nothing for audio.

Last I tried and this was interesting. So how about a small 3/4" x 1" piece on top of the HDMI video connector at the PC? The Cardas Clear Light headphone cable I am using is 8' long so I can sit on the floor and apply, remove and move the tape, while listening to see if it does anything. I used a piece of rolled up masking tape to hold the shielding tape in place. Listening for the last 45 mins, this is what I get... on top of one HDMI video cable presentation is a bit more snappy and tiny bit more overall precision. But will edge the presentation a bit more toward neutral. Presentation is not bright, just a bit more top extension and toward neutral. ---> Now with two connectors the effect was doubled the effect of just applying to one connector. Now the presentation is getting bright.

Last attempt is 1/2" x 1/2" to replace the first 3/4" x 1". This toned down the brightness. Then on the other 2 HDMI connectors did the same and used masking tape to place 1/2" x 1/2" square pieces on top of the connectors. This was the best outcome. No brightness and system performance is a bit better than before the tape on the video connectors. And I think the video colors are improved, go figure. If it stays sounding like this tomorrow I will permanently affix the tape.

So lesson for me is if the tape does something at a specific location, try different sizes and placement positions to see if an effect to the system can be adjusted or tuned?

Attachments

• HDMI with shielding tape 1.jpg
    HDMI with shielding tape 1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 0
  • HDMI with shielding tape 2.jpg
    HDMI with shielding tape 2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 0
Dec 29, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #2,468 of 4,415
Hey guys! I owe SO MUCH to you! After leaving my stereo system on for 12 hours with music running, seems the aforementioned clinical brightness is gone. Now all that's left is the same exemplary sound I had tuned it for, with the added (probable?) benefit of the Furutech Nano liquid. Seems I had done right and I don't need to take down / redo my whole system (not for the time being :xf_wink:). I spent a lot of hours last weekend removing and relocating the silver tape to tune my system for a sound that in un-constrained yet smooth and linear.

I also discovered that my external optical HDD sounds better than the music off my laptop's hard drive - even though it goes through a long cable and a 8-way USB hub, then its' own cable. It's been right there all along but I never bothered to compare the same song from one device to another.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #2,469 of 4,415
Here is an interesting use for the shielding tape. After reading previously DecentLevi trying the tape around the video plugs I believe, I thought that may do something. I have three 24" monitors that use HDMI cables. First try was at PC. Tried wrapping the cable connector with different width tape. Even at one connection the sound or presentation compressed, no good. Did not look at the video to see if anything changed.

Tried wrapping the IEC power cable connectors at the monitors, that improved video color and separation a bit. Ok this is good, left it. Did nothing to audio. Then tried wrapping the video connectors at monitors, did a bit of the same like the power cord application, again good. Still nothing for audio.

Last I tried and this was interesting. So how about a small 3/4" x 1" piece on top of the HDMI video connector at the PC? The Cardas Clear Light headphone cable I am using is 8' long so I can sit on the floor and apply, remove and move the tape, while listening to see if it does anything. I used a piece of rolled up masking tape to hold the shielding tape in place. Listening for the last 45 mins, this is what I get... on top of one HDMI video cable presentation is a bit more snappy and tiny bit more overall precision. But will edge the presentation a bit more toward neutral. Presentation is not bright, just a bit more top extension and toward neutral. ---> Now with two connectors the effect was doubled the effect of just applying to one connector. Now the presentation is getting bright.

Last attempt is 1/2" x 1/2" to replace the first 3/4" x 1". This toned down the brightness. Then on the other 2 HDMI connectors did the same and used masking tape to place 1/2" x 1/2" square pieces on top of the connectors. This was the best outcome. No brightness and system performance is a bit better than before the tape on the video connectors. And I think the video colors are improved, go figure. If it stays sounding like this tomorrow I will permanently affix the tape.

So lesson for me is if the tape does something at a specific location, try different sizes and placement positions to see if an effect to the system can be adjusted or tuned?
Wow we're onto something! But for me I always think you need full circle wrap of anything, regardless of size because this is about the faraday effect. I would rather try a 1/8" circular ring than a 2X2" square on top for example, for a round power plug. Otherwise on components I try all sides top and bottom because some sides sound better than others.

Dec 29, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #2,471 of 4,415
Whoa...just wrapped a tape around the HDMI plug going into the computer...bass is deeper and punchier and there are better dynamics! Nice!

20221229_064745.jpg

Dec 29, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #2,472 of 4,415
Whoa...just wrapped a tape around the HDMI plug going into the computer...bass is deeper and punchier and there are better dynamics! Nice!

20221229_064745.jpg
Dammit, now I'm gonna have to try that too.

Btw the tape made a huge difference in my car audio system. I also put on the power distribution block in the trunk.

20221217_134126.JPG

Dec 29, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #2,473 of 4,415
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 29, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #2,475 of 4,415
Does anyone use this type of switch for audio ?

This particular model (pdf) was/is 1650$$ and I bought 1 for 450 that has not arrived yet..

Thanx

Attachments

• esml8ppc2.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221229-020204.png
    Screenshot_20221229-020204.png
    890.5 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back