Aliexpress Cables
Dec 21, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #2,403 of 4,359
Going back to this. has anyone tried using the tape applied like these examples? over end of cable, but not the connector?
Yes. For power cables I liked it better over the connector. Anywhere near signal cables, even a small 1/4” wide by 1/2” piece next to the cable shrinks the sound stage and rolls off the HF frequencies. On digital cables “can” be effective. YMMV

Dec 23, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #2,404 of 4,359
Dec 23, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #2,405 of 4,359
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...2PUOANC&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

Its been a while and I totally forgot about it while leaving it to burn in.

I think this 15 core cable is better than the gold odin cable, I moved it my DI20he and theres more impactful bass, body and air in the treble.
Been eagerly waiting for this.. How does it compare to Odin Gold?
I am a big fan of Gold because it was a tad warmer and very musical (as shared in yr initial post).

Dec 23, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #2,406 of 4,359
Been eagerly waiting for this.. How does it compare to Odin Gold?
I am a big fan of Gold because it was a tad warmer and very musical (as shared in yr initial post).
It has more body and bass than the odin gold. Better dynamics, air, stage and depth also.

Perhaps I just prefer it over the gold odin in my setup. The odin gold may be a little more resolving and allows a little less noise to come through.

The 15 core valhalla2 knockoff is definitely warmer.

Dec 23, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #2,407 of 4,359
I use the gold between wall and transformer, then silver Odin everywhere else. I put the gold on the amp as a goof and the notes got too thick. Reminded me of the difference between a copper DAP or a SS one. Didnt like it at all and put the gold back on the wall.

Dec 23, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #2,408 of 4,359
It has more body and bass than the odin gold. Better dynamics, air, stage and depth also.

Perhaps I just prefer it over the gold odin in my setup. The odin gold may be a little more resolving and allows a little less noise to come through.

The 15 core valhalla2 knockoff is definitely warmer.
Inexpensive enough to try. Different gear will react differently to this cable vs Odin Gold. Mainly because the electrical properties will be different between the two cables. I personally like the sweeter tonality and how the Odin Gold fits within my setup.

Dec 23, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #2,409 of 4,359
Going back to this. has anyone tried using the tape applied like these examples? over end of cable, but not the connector?
I did on the usb and some of the xlr but i didnt hear a difference....i thinknthe ali express tape is weaker than the Japanese stuff tho

Dec 24, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #2,410 of 4,359
Today received the Aliexpress shielding tape, 50mm x 20 yards. This is not the same material as the Oyaide EMI tape. The Oyaide is a lot stronger and it seems has a different use. The Oyaide tape absorbs EMI, the Aliexpress tape is a shield.

Cut a 6" long piece and started to place it on and under different components, including the ground boxes. Effect is slight, but seems to dry the presentation and slightly roll off HF. Now where it seems effective is around power cord connectors. Right now I have it only around power cord connectors at amp and DAC and with each application (two total so far) the focus is a bit improved. The tape is held in place with masking tape so I can remove and put back in place to hear for differences if any. Applied like this, does not negatively effect all other aspects of performance. What I "think" is happening is by shielding the connector, is leaking less EMI to interconnects that are close by. In my setup there are 6 power cords. With 6 power cords there are 12 connection points so will have to test one by one and see how that goes.

What I am curious about is if shielding video monitors near by will improve audio performance? For anyone that is going to try this type of tweak, take it slow and apply at one connection or location at a time. Like Doug mentioned previously, there can be a trade off where it may seem background is blacker. But if you do not critically listen you may miss that in that application information is being masked or causing a negative effect somewhere else. If one just starts applying on all power cord ends because in one or two locations seems to improve the system, the next day you may realize the system is off and have no idea how to fix it.

If I find a really cool use for the tape I will mention it. I hope and trust everyone has an amazing Christmas day and Holiday season!

Dec 25, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #2,411 of 4,359
Ok check this out... With the three power cords I have tried the Ali shielding tape on, and that will be mentioned below, all have Oyaide EMI tape wrapped around the connectors at both ends flush to the edge of the connector where the connection is.

* At the amp is a Odin Gold power cord. Wrapped around the whole connector at amp end is a winner, adds a little precision and resolution. See pic. At the PLC wrapped around the whole connector collapses the sound stage, rolls HF and masks information. BUT if the tape is moved toward the back of the connector (toward the cable or away from component) sound stage is a tad more holographic, resolution is slightly increased and bass frequencies around 100hz and down, hits a tad tighter and harder. Bass feels a bit quicker here. See pic.

* At the DAC is a Electroglide Signature Reference power cord. Covering the whole connector has the same effect as the Odin Gold at the amp side. Have not tried Isolation PLC side yet.

* At PC (source) is a Odin 2 power cable. Exact same as what happened with Odin Gold at PLC, except this is at the PC PS. When fully covering connector collapses the sound stage, rolls HF and masks information. BUT if the tape is moved toward the back of the connector (toward the cable or away from PC) resolution is slightly increased and bass frequencies around 100hz and down hits a tad tighter and harder. Bass feels a bit quicker again. Have not tried at isolation PLC side yet. See pic.

Here is the point, a lot of experimentation is needed to be able to dial in a tweak like this. Takes a lot of time. I am going to leave this alone and see how it sounds tomorrow to make sure system settles like this before experimenting further. So far I like this shielding tape.

Attachments

• Shielding tape at amp.jpg
    Shielding tape at amp.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Shielding tape at PLC for amp.jpg
    Shielding tape at PLC for amp.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 0
  • Shielding tape at PC.jpg
    Shielding tape at PC.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 0
Dec 25, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #2,412 of 4,359
After installing the titanium power supply, I had to remove this elfidelity sata filter until today where I had a chance to rearrange things in my pc and reinstall it.

I use this to connect a samsung 870 SSD which holds all of my music files.

This thing cleans up a good amount of noise from the PC. The sound is a little warmer without it but it is more resolving, more detail, just better clarity overall with it.

Another thing to note is that I use DSD512 upsampling for music and occasionally, there is a pop if I skip to the next track, after reinstalling this, it doesn't happen anymore.
If anyone is using an SSD to store their music, I highly recommend this filter.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #2,413 of 4,359
After installing the titanium power supply, I had to remove this elfidelity sata filter until today where I had a chance to rearrange things in my pc and reinstall it.

I use this to connect a samsung 870 SSD which holds all of my music files.

This thing cleans up a good amount of noise from the PC. The sound is a little warmer without it but it is more resolving, more detail, just better clarity overall with it.

Another thing to note is that I use DSD512 upsampling for music and occasionally, there is a pop if I skip to the next track, after reinstalling this, it doesn't happen anymore.
If anyone is using an SSD to store their music, I highly recommend this filter.
I like this filter also. Got two based on your recommendation. Inexpensive tweak/upgrade for SSD.

Dec 25, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #2,414 of 4,359
I like this filter also. Got two based on your recommendation. Inexpensive tweak/upgrade for SSD.
I installed the fan filters, pci card power filter and this sata filter at the same time so it was impossible to tell which one offered the most improvement but after removing for about a week and reinstalling, I was able to tell the difference it was making.

I'm curious about this thing.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255...00010361966705!sea&curPageLogUid=eGyzc6FCpkTJ

It looks like it does the same thing as the JCAT usb card, probably not the same level of quality as the JCAT but considering every elfidelity item I've installed in my system gave me a nice improvement, I'd bet its more than worth it for the price. If I didn't already have a JCAT usb, I'd get this.

Dec 25, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #2,415 of 4,359
I installed the fan filters, pci card power filter and this sata filter at the same time so it was impossible to tell which one offered the most improvement but after removing for about a week and reinstalling, I was able to tell the difference it was making.

I'm curious about this thing.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800700421074.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.7.568e65a1uy9Myz&algo_pvid=d8c5a4b0-117b-4059-a2ee-6ec56f7365a9&algo_exp_id=d8c5a4b0-117b-4059-a2ee-6ec56f7365a9-3&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"10000010361966705"}&pdp_npi=2@dis!USD!32.5!30.55!!!!!@212279a216719460433873903d074a!10000010361966705!sea&curPageLogUid=eGyzc6FCpkTJ

It looks like it does the same thing as the JCAT usb card, probably not the same level of quality as the JCAT but considering every elfidelity item I've installed in my system gave me a nice improvement, I'd bet its more than worth it for the price. If I didn't already have a JCAT usb, I'd get this.
Have seen these filters. Have considered JCAT and there is one other well known one that slips my mind. But since I do not use USB I dropped the idea. My headphone system sounds so good it literally blows my mind almost every time I listen to it. Not sure how much I want to mess with it. But if someone is interested in state of the art probably worth paying the money for a JCAT and external LPS for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back