Aliexpress Cables
Mar 30, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #3,031 of 4,426
Cheers..Be interesting to hear your impressions,I bought an expensive fuse for my dac not from Aliexpress made a nice difference,be good to try another at a more lower cost for another component.
Cheers, and excuse my delay in responding as these data are usually spent on listening to music.

Attachments

• D9EA29B1-1A9A-4B6C-A472-EB818C2A62AA.jpeg
    D9EA29B1-1A9A-4B6C-A472-EB818C2A62AA.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 0
Mar 30, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #3,032 of 4,426
Agreed.

IMHO EQ allows a headphone‘s frequency response to be tuned to the listeners preferences in a way nothing else can. Assuming the headphone takes well to EQ. For example, the Audeze LCD-XC (2021 model) I use, I love with EQ, will not listen to without EQ. The difference is dramatic when comparing with EQ and without.

Audio system tweaking is more art than science. Good examples of this would be Furutech Nano Liquid (improving mechanical contact and minimizing electrical micro arcing), or fo.Q products (controlling micro vibrations), or minimizing EMI/RFI, or ground boxes (passively filtering signal grounds in gear), or fuses and AC outlets to improving conductivity, etc., etc.. All these sound really far fetched, especially since there is very little science or scientific research devoted to these topics. Once these tweaks are properly applied, sonic performance within same system can reach heights that otherwise it could not. Every level of noise that is removed from the system, equates to a purer signal. The purer the signal, more one can hear being reproduced by the system.

Here is one that most are unaware of… tuning or voicing components by tuning the resonate frequency of a components chassis with exotic wood. Very similar to the way musical instruments are tuned by the wood used to make the instrument. Cardas sells myrtlewood blocks that are designed for this purpose. Personally I do not like what myrtlewood does. If anyone wants to try this out, here is an inexpensive experiment. Go to eBay and purchase Purpleheart wood pen blanks. You want as dark wood as you can find (the darker the older the wood). You do not need much, they will be used to be placed on the top of the chassis or as footers. Purpleheart used as described on one component will add a bit of warmth, body and depth to the mid frequencies. While experimenting, move the wood to contact different areas of the chassis to see what the effect is. Smaller sized wood pieces will offer a different effect than larger sizes.
I have about 40 pen blanks of all different varieties because of you lol.

Mar 30, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #3,033 of 4,426
I have about 40 pen blanks of all different varieties because of you lol.
If experimenting with the wood as I shared with you in the past or in the previous post here, having different exotic wood types are handy. Personally I only like certain ones like the Gaboon Ebony and Purple Heart. What were your findings when experimenting with the exotic wood? I do not think I ever asked you before.

Mar 30, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #3,034 of 4,426
If experimenting with the wood as I shared with you in the past or in the previous post here, having different exotic wood types are handy. Personally I only like certain ones like the Gaboon Ebony and Purple Heart. What were your findings when experimenting with the exotic wood? I do not think I ever asked you before.
The effects are very subtle. Depends where you place them as well.

I think your assessment was right. The purple heart has the most noticeable positive difference.

I tried mahogany, desert ironwood, osage orange, cocobolo, macacauba, gabon ebony, among many others.

The ironwood had an unusual effect, it reduced bass for some reason.

Mar 31, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #3,035 of 4,426
Am I missing something - should this thread not be about Aliexpress CABLES?

Otherwise the title needs to be updated...
I thought the same thing a few days ago. I read the whole thread, searching for cables....but it turned out that cables are less than half the thread represented. I found new stuff I wouldn't consider if they were not here. So I don't mind the content...but I would add in the title something like: Aliexpresss cables (and other stuff).

Let's talk cables again. Does anyone have a cable (4pin XLR) recommendation (a seller) for Sennheiser HD 800s? I found only a few.

1. ATAUDIO
2. TOP-HIFI
3. Audio Accessary
4. TimeLess

Are these worth buying over the original? Which one would you choose? Thank you!

P.S. I am new to tube amps, and for the first time, I experienced a little "hum" in the background when music was not playing. I have two setups connected on the same "power line". One is clean, but the one where are tubes is not. It's really something I could ignore since the hum is not that noticeable. But if it's solvable, I might try to do that if I know why it's there.

Cheers!

Mar 31, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #3,036 of 4,426
P.S. I am new to tube amps, and for the first time, I experienced a little "hum" in the background when music was not playing. I have two setups connected on the same "power line". One is clean, but the one where are tubes is not. It's really something I could ignore since the hum is not that noticeable. But if it's solvable, I might try to do that if I know why it's there.
I am not a tube expert by any stretch of the imagination. My experience would guide me to look at:
1) tube (loose, damaged or aging)
2) ground loop
3) amp power supply picking up noise from the line or another component.
4) amp power supply

If nothing in your system has changed and the noise just started, likely the tube(s).

Mar 31, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #3,037 of 4,426
I am not a tube expert by any stretch of the imagination. My experience would guide me to look at:
1) tube (loose, damaged or aging)
2) ground loop
3) amp power supply picking up noise from the line or another component.
4) amp power supply

If nothing in your system has changed and the noise just started, likely the tube(s).
Thank you. I can give more info. Amp is completely new. It's Auris HA-2SF. I doubt tubes are loose; quite the opposite. Ground loop, I don't know the explanation for that. Is it possible that one set-up has a hum and the other doesn't, even though they are powered on the same line? Or is the one picking hum from another setup? I will try disconnecting one tomorrow and see how it works.
I am waiting for some cables from Aliexpress to come. I ordered a power cord for the amp; I will see when it comes if that changes anything.
Is this worth buying?
Power filter socket

Cheers!

Mar 31, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #3,038 of 4,426
Do you guys recommend the Odin 2 (silver), Odin Gold, or Argento Flow for XLR?

Also, are there any really good pure silver XLR interconnects on AliExpress? Wanting to buy some, but want to make sure I get the right ones.

Thanks! 🙏

Mar 31, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #3,039 of 4,426
I thought the same thing a few days ago. I read the whole thread, searching for cables....but it turned out that cables are less than half the thread represented. I found new stuff I wouldn't consider if they were not here. So I don't mind the content...but I would add in the title something like: Aliexpresss cables (and other stuff).

Let's talk cables again. Does anyone have a cable (4pin XLR) recommendation (a seller) for Sennheiser HD 800s? I found only a few.

1. ATAUDIO
2. TOP-HIFI
3. Audio Accessary
4. TimeLess

Are these worth buying over the original? Which one would you choose? Thank you!

Cheers!
Its just my opinion but if you are looking for cables to enhance the sound quality, I'd choose something like a heavy gauge, pure copper cable for the hd800s.

Just keep in mind that if you see a cable that you like, you can ask the seller to customize the cable for whatever connectors you want. Most of the time they are willing to accommodate.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...5!sea!US!836198439&curPageLogUid=6bFW0yYdzK51

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...7!sea!US!836198439&curPageLogUid=tc5NCwlOfL9c

I really like the hakugei healer cable for my iems but I'm not sure if they will make it to work with the hd800s, you'd have to ask the seller directly.

The hum could be many things. In another thread, I saw that one guy had hum issues and found out that it was picking up stray radio interference. Shielded cables are a good place to start to try and troubleshoot the problem.

Thank you. I can give more info. Amp is completely new. It's Auris HA-2SF. I doubt tubes are loose; quite the opposite. Ground loop, I don't know the explanation for that. Is it possible that one set-up has a hum and the other doesn't, even though they are powered on the same line? Or is the one picking hum from another setup? I will try disconnecting one tomorrow and see how it works.
I am waiting for some cables from Aliexpress to come. I ordered a power cord for the amp; I will see when it comes if that changes anything.
Is this worth buying?
Power filter socket

Cheers!

I don't think any one has tried that PLC in this thread. If you do get it, I'd love to hear your opinion of it.

Mar 31, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #3,040 of 4,426

Also, are there any really good pure silver XLR interconnects on AliExpress? Wanting to buy some, but want to make sure I get the right ones.

Thanks! 🙏
The odin cables are pretty good but as I said before, I think there are better options available.

These are some other options which I think are better.

Gryphon
Monosaudio p902 - if someone has a link to the one with the furutech carbon fiber connectors, please link, thanks.
15 core valhalla

Mar 31, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #3,041 of 4,426

Thanks! 🙏
Hf4e727051f974e2f87dde17578e80a06T.jpg

Anyone looking to upgrade their fuse I bought the Blue for my CD transport from Aliexpress HIFI-STUBE store.This fuse replaced the Aucharm fuse.Have had it burning in now for 48hours.Found it to be a well balanced fuse with a lower noise floor compared to the Aucharm .Bass initially was missing but slowly returns.

Sorry, I merely placed Create Audio T5A fuses into the search box on AliExpress | had a few of their fuses pop up, I’ve also ordered the Brimar | YS HiFi | Gustard fuses as well, which were all shipped two days ago.

Apr 1, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #3,042 of 4,426
Its just my opinion but if you are looking for cables to enhance the sound quality, I'd choose something like a heavy gauge, pure copper cable for the hd800s.

Just keep in mind that if you see a cable that you like, you can ask the seller to customize the cable for whatever connectors you want. Most of the time they are willing to accommodate.
Thank you. That's a good idea. I will ask if they could make one for HD800s.
I really like the hakugei healer cable for my iems but I'm not sure if they will make it to work with the hd800s, you'd have to ask the seller directly.

I don't think any one has tried that PLC in this thread. If you do get it, I'd love to hear your opinion of it.
I'll keep in mind that Hakugei healer. It looks pretty good. There is one possible problem with the HD800th series. People have issues with metal sockets; connectors can be pulled out. And I wish not to remove cables often. I would like to find one good cable and keep it there for as long as possible.

I might order that PLC, and when I do, I will definitely post about it. I had a background hum when I connected Topping E50 with the plain phone charger. I solved the hum by changing that adapter with iFi IPower adapter. I guess that PLC does the same thing.

I ordered a few days ago that Valhalla 15-core power cable at your recommendation.

Cheers!

Apr 2, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #3,043 of 4,426
Inspired from another user who also puts fo.Q TA-102 absorption polymer material on the back of his isolation caps, I went ahead with a try too. I have a mix of gold plated brass and rhodium plated brass(<-- link) RCA caps from Amazon which also show as Monosaudio brand. As I gather the concept here is to be a poor conductor in order to isolate or shield said sockets. I found this combination to sound best in my system, both types sounding different, and some plugs sounding better without. I also got a hollow steel hole punch set recommended here, so I can make circular cut-outs of this effective and space quality TA-102 & the thinner TA-32 stuff that's imported from Japan off eBay.

It actually wasn't recommended to use it on these particular caps which have such a small cap cover, but I found it makes a good difference! Sound is more well rounded and organic to me. It sounded better on about 1/2 of the caps but not when overdoing it.
20230402_001618.jpg

not the best photo and just my temporary amp, but it shows the absorption material on about half of the caps, along with the hole punch set I was holding.

Speaking of not overdoing things, I realized that some of the brightness was gradually creeping in after several hours of system usage was caused by excess usage of silver Faraday Fabric Tape on the ends of various cables. Use this sparingly because this along with TA-102 are very effective. I have found another great placement however for the silver tape on the outside of yet another component (long strips of it on my DC LPS, along with DDC, under DAC, all sides of amp, all sides of power conditioner but not on my grounding box).

Apr 3, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #3,044 of 4,426
Inspired from another user who also puts fo.Q TA-102 absorption polymer material on the back of his isolation caps, I went ahead with a try too. I have a mix of gold plated brass and rhodium plated brass(<-- link) RCA caps from Amazon which also show as Monosaudio brand. As I gather the concept here is to be a poor conductor in order to isolate or shield said sockets. I found this combination to sound best in my system, both types sounding different, and some plugs sounding better without. I also got a hollow steel hole punch set recommended here, so I can make circular cut-outs of this effective and space quality TA-102 & the thinner TA-32 stuff that's imported from Japan off eBay.

It actually wasn't recommended to use it on these particular caps which have such a small cap cover, but I found it makes a good difference! Sound is more well rounded and organic to me. It sounded better on about 1/2 of the caps but not when overdoing it.
20230402_001618.jpg
not the best photo and just my temporary amp, but it shows the absorption material on about half of the caps, along with the hole punch set I was holding.

Speaking of not overdoing things, I realized that some of the brightness was gradually creeping in after several hours of system usage was caused by excess usage of silver Faraday Fabric Tape on the ends of various cables. Use this sparingly because this along with TA-102 are very effective. I have found another great placement however for the silver tape on the outside of yet another component (long strips of it on my DC LPS, along with DDC, under DAC, all sides of amp, all sides of power conditioner but not on my grounding box).
I tried a similar thing. fo.q dots on my amp and dac but found it was too powerful on that location and it flattened the sound for me.

Its possible that the dot was too large for the application but I didn't want to spend more time on it.

Recently received this wall outlet cover. Just bought it to test it out, its smaller than I thought it was going to be and it doesn't fit...I guess its going to be a coaster.

20230403_222001.JPG

So since I have some of these odin connectors lying around, I thought I'd replace the cheap hubbell ac plug with one of the odins.

I went over both versions of the odin plugs with a magnet and the body of the connector on the left was slightly magnetic while the one on the right is not magnetic at all. The screws on both were slightly magnetic as well, the screws on the lighter gold connector were super magnetic. This means that the one on the left has some ferrous content in the metal body, the one on the right is probably all aluminum.

So the one on the right goes on the hammond dc choke.

Just an FYI for you guys that have the odin cables, might answer some questions. The darker gold connector is superior in the metal content.

20230404_001052(1).JPG
20230404_002952.JPG

Apr 7, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #3,045 of 4,426
I've just received a power cable and USB (A-B) cable. The power cable seemed to reduce the "Hum" I had in the background. I am not sure if it's completely gone, but it's a good thing that now it's barely heard if it's there.

But unfortunately, I have received a faulty USB cable. Did any of you have a similar issue? Is it possible to fix that? I will contact the seller and report.

Timeless/power cable
Timeless/USB A-B cable

I read that these power cables are rigid and they should be carefully picked, but I didn't know that they are incredibly rigid. They are almost not flexible at all. I could barely install it because I had little space from behind to the wall. So just one more warning to those who will buy this particular one (15 core). I don't know if all power cables are the same. I would not recommend it for small amplifiers, DACs, or anything that doesn't have enough weight to carry it.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back