Alienware Sound Blaster Recon 3Di specs?
Jan 5, 2017 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PL4Y3R 0N3

Headphoneus Supremus
So I posted about this forever ago I think, but recently it has been bugging me again. I got an Alienware 17 R3 at the beginning of the summer, and when I checked online for the sound card specs, well they are nonexistent. I've been in contact with Dell, Creative, and pretty much anyone else I could think of trying to get specs on this thing, but it all seems to no avail. Why is it that even Dell doesn't know what the specs of this sound card are?

All I found out is that it is supposedly a Sound Blaster Recon 3Di (which may not even be the sound card, may just be the software) and that it seems to be pretty good, but I am looking for actual specs, especially output impedance. 

Can anyone help me out here? I'm at a loss as to where to look.

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 6
On-board could just be a Realtek audio processor and Realtek software
and on add-on Creative Labs software package.

Guess Alienware does not release the audio specs because there is nothing there worth braging about.

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 6
On-board could just be a Realtek audio processor and Realtek software
and on add-on Creative Labs software package.

Guess Alienware does not release the audio specs because there is nothing there worth braging about.

As far as I can tell the sound card is a Sound Blaster Recon 3Di. When I look at all of the system sound settings they show audio out going to Sound Blaster Recon3Di as if that was the sound card, which is why it strikes me as odd that it would have no specs whatsoever. It's not just Alienware didn't release them, after calling the support line and asking about specs it seems like they don't even have them! The man who helped me (verynice, definitely more patience than I have :D ) couldn't find specs for the current sound card, only previous ones. And Sound Blaster told me that the card could have different specs depending on the laptop it is used in (?) which was also weird.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 6
As far as I can tell the sound card is a Sound Blaster Recon 3Di. When I look at all of the system sound settings they show audio out going to Sound Blaster Recon3Di as if that was the sound card, which is why it strikes me as odd that it would have no specs whatsoever. It's not just Alienware didn't release them, after calling the support line and asking about specs it seems like they don't even have them! The man who helped me (verynice, definitely more patience than I have
biggrin.gif
) couldn't find specs for the current sound card, only previous ones. And Sound Blaster told me that the card could have different specs depending on the laptop it is used in (?) which was also weird.

Could be your laptop comes with the Creative Labs Soundcore3D audio processor.
The Creative Soundcore3D audio processor is used in all of Creative's Recon3D and newer Z series sound cards.

Could be Creative licences the drivers to Aleinware (Dell), as "Recon3Di" software, so as not to seem to compete directly with the newer Z series cards.
Z series cards use Creative's SBX software, which is newer(?) then the Creative THX audio software used on the older Recon3D cards
The Soundcore3D comes with a built in DAC function, so Dell does not have in add a separate DAC chip (keeping costs down).

Guessing Creative Labs will sell their stuff to Dell/Alienware, but guessing Dell/Alienware has to keep the exact specs a secret so as to not compete with Creative's own audio products.

If you looking to improve audio quality and be still be able to use the features of the Recon3Di, you could get an optical DAC (if the latop has an optical output port).
And connect an external headphone amplifer to the external DAC.
Hifimediy optical DAC, $59
Bravo Ocean tube (hybrid) headphone amplifier, $80.

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 6
Not really looking to improve audio quality, and I could use my fiio x5ii, but I wanted to find out what the specs of the sound card are. It seems really good, especially for a laptop. As for the software used, it seems to use SBX Pro Studio. I never use it really, but it has some pretty decent eq software, as well as a few other things that may be useful.

Nov 6, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 6
Seems like Sound Blaster Recon 3Di improves the audio quality by noticeable margin. It improved treble and bass while maintaining good highs and mids, my HD 598 SR sounds sonic clear on my alienware m17x r4 than Samsung S7 edge or Asus Xonar DX sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back