Alien USB DAC!
Jul 26, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #17 of 30
Great to see good built stuff offered. music for the ppl
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #18 of 30
Fellow sound/music lovers: I received an Alien USB DAC from MASantos about a week ago, and, every day as I use it, my listening experience is taken to an ever-higher level of enjoyment. This small wonder (it's about half the size of the smallest Hammond case) offers the deepest, fullest and largest sound I've ever enjoyed on my work rig. In fact, I'm taking it home every night and using it as the source in my home rig as well - it's THAT enjoyable. Detailed cables and sensitive phones are revealing only beautifully-formed sound coming from this DAC - no artifacts or noise that I can detect using a Grover S cable and ER4S phones. At its price, this is a labor of love and an act of generosity on the part of MASantos toward his fellow music lovers. Thank you, so much, Manuel, for this marvelous instrument to use in reproducing beautiful music for our listening enrichment.

Jul 27, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #19 of 30
Dear headfellows,

I haver been travelling since the 14th of July and only yesterday have returned home in Portugal. Please apologise for not answering your PM and posts sooner.
Here are some updates:

I still have Alien DAC's available.
I will ship internationaly, there is no problem with that at all.

IMPORTANT: I will be leaving on Vacation next tuesday, 31th of July and will probably only be back in the end of August. I will have limited access to head-fi during this period so orders will be slow during this period. If you are interested in buying one, I would suggest that you PM ASAP so I can ship monday morning. After that I will only have maybe one day a week with internet access.

Im sure you understand this.

Below are answers to some questions asked here in the thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeeger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you are the Head-Fi-Head of Head-Fi Portugal, do you also ship to Europe? If yes, I would be interested.
EDIT: Forget that, I just read your location...

I will ship internationaly anywhere. Please PM me for details.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil6625 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of Grado SR-80's...considering that these are pretty easy to drive, would I need a headphone amp or could I drive them right out of the Alien DAC?

Also, how would this compare to other options in a similar price range, such as Total Bithead or E-Mu 0202??

Thanks!

I have never heard the total bithead or the Emu 0202, but according to others who have compared the Alien with these(even though it weren't my builds) the Alien performs very good for its price and size.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know how the sound quality would improve compared to the bithead or 0202, but I wouldn't find the headphone amp necessary unless you wanted even better sound. You will be able to drive them out of the Alien DAC, but a headphone amp would improve your sound. I am somewhat of a novice/amateur still, but I believe what I am saying is correct?

You won't be able to drive them directly from the Alien, you'll always need a separate amplifier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spencexxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would really like to know if you could build one with an optical line-in either in addition to (best) or instead of (OK) the USB imput? That would make it play nice with an iriver!

The Alien DAC is USB input only. THere is no option for an optical input, sorry about that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering a few things:
- Are there any still available?
- Are there any other pictures (the ones above don't appear to work anymore)? and
- Will you ship to Australia, if so, for how much?

You got PM.

Cheers
Josh D

Quote:

Originally Posted by bindibadgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested in the same things Daveze just asked about, so ... bump.

Answering the same questions as Daveze:

I still have them available and will ship international, please PM me for details.

If you can't see the pictures, let me know in your PM and I will send you the direct URL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fellow sound/music lovers: I received an Alien USB DAC from MASantos about a week ago, and, every day as I use it, my listening experience is taken to an ever-higher level of enjoyment. This small wonder (it's about half the size of the smallest Hammond case) offers the deepest, fullest and largest sound I've ever enjoyed on my work rig. In fact, I'm taking it home every night and using it as the source in my home rig as well - it's THAT enjoyable. Detailed cables and sensitive phones are revealing only beautifully-formed sound coming from this DAC - no artifacts or noise that I can detect using a Grover S cable and ER4S phones. At its price, this is a labor of love and an act of generosity on the part of MASantos toward his fellow music lovers. Thank you, so much, Manuel, for this marvelous instrument to use in reproducing beautiful music for our listening enrichment.

Thanks for the kind words, I am happy that you are enjoying the great sound of the Alien DAC.

Aug 3, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #20 of 30
wow im always down for good quality cheap gear like like this but i just purchased a corda move...maby in a couple months if there are still some chillen around.

Aug 12, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jama211 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think its just usb powered, it doesnt acctually use the usb interface for data, does it? if so it wouldn't matter what operating system you had.

The USB cable provides both power and the input signal to the DAC.

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataklystik
Will it work with Linux as well and how much is the price including shipping to Europe?

Amb (Ti Kan) has stated he uses his interchangeably from MS to Linux.

According to the post on the first page, MASantos has moved back to Portugal, so shipping to Europe is shipping in Europe.

Aug 24, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #25 of 30
Dear head-fiers

I'm back at home from my vacation. I wil lstart replying to PM's and messages after the weekend. Thanks once again for all those who already bought an Alien DAC.

Regards

Manuel

Aug 27, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #26 of 30
Dear Headfiers,

I have replied to all PM's I received during my vacation. If for any reason you sent me a PM and I didn't answer let me know, there were a quite a few of them and I might have jumped over one.

Keep the orders coming!!

Manuel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back