Alien USB DAC!
Apr 12, 2007 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

MASantos

Headphoneus Supremus
Dear Headfellows,

I am now offering Alien USB DAC's. The Alien USB DAC is a small USB DAC designed by members of the DIY community. For more information regarding the developement of this DAC visit this thread.

My version of the DAC has the best components available, but also taking price/performance ratio in consideration. It is housed inside a custom enclosure with a custom made front panel. It features Blackgate NX-High Q output caps and is USB powered.

Full specs below:
Alien DAC v1.1 PCB
PCM2702 DAC
REG101UA-33 and REG101UA-A( adjusted to 4.8 Volts)
Vishay 1% metal film resistors
Panasonic FC and FM capacitors
OS-CON decoupling capacitor
BlackGate Nx-High Q output capacitors
- I choose these because they really do make a difference, I tested various caps and these were giving the best results
USB type B input in the front panel
3.5mm(mini plug) output in the back panel
Green LED in the front panel
Custom Aluminium Enclosure by Hammond Mfg.
Custom front panel made by FrontPanelExpress

Pictures:

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

I will offer 2 years warranty on parts and labor.

The price is 110USD and this includes shipping in the US and a 10USD CONTRIBUTION TO HEAD-FI! Payment can be done by paypal (preferably non CC). Only 24 are available so hurry up if you are interested.

I will be at the Headfest 2007 and will be selling these for 105USD since there are no shipping costs or paypal fees.

Please PM me or post here if you would like to buy one and I will send you a paypal invoice.

Manuel Santos

Jun 8, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 30
Can you tell me if your DAC will work well with my MacG5 tower as source, into a WooAudio 3 Amp and on to AKG 701s? How do you connect to the amp? There is only a 3.5 connector in the back of your DAC, so do you use a 3.5mm plug to two RCA? Please let me know if this is even a good idea with my setup and if so if you have any left for sale. Thanks

Jun 9, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #4 of 30
Dear Manuel,
I am looking for an usb dac that could feed into my Innersound preamp and electrostatic speakers from my macbook (lossless).
The quality is already very good using the headphone output but I want more.
Does your dac do the job for my kind of system?
Do you have a model with rca outputs?
Can you customize?
I am based in Paris, France.
I was looking for a Stello da100...
thks

Jun 11, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 30
I've got M-Audio Transit... How does Alien USB DAC compare to that and to other similar solutions? Is the sound quality notably better?

I guess it's a question it can interest many, since many of us have some sort of solution for listening via computer... So, if it's better than Transit, sure, I'd gladly buy it -- send me your PayPal invoice...
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, are there any drivers or does it work with some general drivers within Windows XP/Vista?

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Artguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you tell me if your DAC will work well with my MacG5 tower as source, into a WooAudio 3 Amp and on to AKG 701s? How do you connect to the amp? There is only a 3.5 connector in the back of your DAC, so do you use a 3.5mm plug to two RCA? Please let me know if this is even a good idea with my setup and if so if you have any left for sale. Thanks

in case this question hasn't been answered...yes, it will work with the system you describe. just get a mini->RCA cable to connect the DAC to your WA3 amp.

i use my alien/pint combo (aka, "poor man's microstack") out of my macbook. i think it's a significant upgrade from the stock DAC/headphone output on the mac.

Jun 17, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #7 of 30
My Alien DAC works flawlessly in Vista. And the Alien DAC is a huge improvement over onboard audio or simply a cheap DAP. Kugino has the exact same rig as me, with the Alien DAC and the PINT-ish amp, and it really is a poor man's microstack.

Jun 19, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 30
I have a pair of Grado SR-80's...considering that these are pretty easy to drive, would I need a headphone amp or could I drive them right out of the Alien DAC?

Also, how would this compare to other options in a similar price range, such as Total Bithead or E-Mu 0202??

Thanks!

Jun 20, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by neil6625 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of Grado SR-80's...considering that these are pretty easy to drive, would I need a headphone amp or could I drive them right out of the Alien DAC?

Also, how would this compare to other options in a similar price range, such as Total Bithead or E-Mu 0202??

Thanks!

I don't know how the sound quality would improve compared to the bithead or 0202, but I wouldn't find the headphone amp necessary unless you wanted even better sound. You will be able to drive them out of the Alien DAC, but a headphone amp would improve your sound. I am somewhat of a novice/amateur still, but I believe what I am saying is correct?

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 30
Manuel, You've got a PM requesting a PayPal Invoice (details in the PM). Thanks.

Jun 25, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by neil6625 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks!

Neil,

The Alien DAC is intended as a line level USB DAC. It really should not be used as a headphone amplifier.

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #13 of 30
Hey MASantos,

I'm new to this scene, wanted to know if I used your DAC when using my Shure E530 with a Xin Reference Amp for use on my computer would work. I don't want to change the sound, hopefully want to improve it, can you help?

I know using an amp in the signal path does improve the sound, but I think I still wanted a good inexpensive DAC (USB) and I see your is topnotch. I would be using it with my computer (X-Fi Extreme Music soundcard)

If it would work and you think it would improve my the sound send me a paypal invoice to ryanwill****s@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks

Jul 8, 2007 at 9:22 AM Post #14 of 30
I would really like to know if you could build one with an optical line-in either in addition to (best) or instead of (OK) the USB imput? That would make it play nice with an iriver!

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #15 of 30
Just wondering a few things:
- Are there any still available?
- Are there any other pictures (the ones above don't appear to work anymore)? and
- Will you ship to Australia, if so, for how much?

Cheers
Josh D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back