Alien DAC- Worth it?
Jan 20, 2008 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dgbiker1

500+ Head-Fier
I've been reading up on the Alien DAC and comparisons to Juli@ and X-Fi external cards, but I'm wondering if it's much better than the built-in sound card on a Macbook (I know it's pretty noisy) or Line-out on iPod? I'd eventually like to build something higher-end, but I'm too poor right now
smily_headphones1.gif

Any other recommendations for <$100, preferably DIY but open to any options? I already have an amp so there's no need for a built-in amp.

Jan 20, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 6
i have an alien dac and compared to my firends laptop out put its in another planet, i use one all the time for so cheap i think its a great piece of kit!

Jan 20, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Normality /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well for $85 + shipping the SUPER Pro DAC 707 from diykits seems absolutely a steal.

Yea, I've been looking at the USB version of that... too bad about that purple color, I'll have to build a new case for that
biggrin.gif

Have you heard one? The 707 looked nice but I haven't heard anything about it.

Jan 20, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by smegger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have an alien dac and compared to my firends laptop out put its in another planet, i use one all the time for so cheap i think its a great piece of kit!

Have you compared it to the Line-out from an ipod? I figure that's probably much cleaner than a laptop HP out.

Jan 20, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 6
is better than i lod on my ipod i think, mainly because when listening with my er4 i can easily hear the whirring of the hard drive when listening to quiet bits of music.

Jan 20, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by smegger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is better than i lod on my ipod i think, mainly because when listening with my er4 i can easily hear the whirring of the hard drive when listening to quiet bits of music.

Sold!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back