Alien DAC v1.1 Construction Thread
Sep 21, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #391 of 1,562
some noob questions....(if i never ask...i'll never learn!)
tongue.gif

i want to understand the exact function of the regulators for the
specific project...

1) what does "low dropout" means? (sorry i must learn...
rolleyes.gif
)
2) regulators other than regulation of the voltage...do they filter??)

once again sorry the stupid questions! i know the look like very noob for someone who has a working board like mine...
tongue.gif

Sep 21, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #392 of 1,562
For solder bridges, after you clean it, using a pick or razor blade to lightly scratch between joints works wonders to get the ones that are hard to see. Be sure you clean it again after you do this and do not go digging deep.

Sep 22, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #393 of 1,562
Thought I had posted this before, turns out headfi logged me out (again) after I hit submit, and I had already gone to a new tab and forgot about it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by whiz
some noob questions....(if i never ask...i'll never learn!)
tongue.gif

i want to understand the exact function of the regulators for the
specific project...

1) what does "low dropout" means? (sorry i must learn...
rolleyes.gif
)

LDO regs require much less voltage to be dropped across them in order to be able to regulate than standard regulators. The reg101 only have to drop a few hundred mV, instead of a few V for something like a LM317.
Quote:

2) regulators other than regulation of the voltage...do they filter??)

Yup.

Sep 29, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #398 of 1,562
heres my alien dac...

sorry i don't have pictures of the board because i forgot to take some...and the board is glued inside the box! i can assure you it's a fine looking little board!
lambda.gif

[Click on the photos to see them big]
biggrin.gif

also sorry for the quality of the pictures!

Alien Dac is my second DIY i hope you like it...

Sep 29, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #399 of 1,562
Just wanna say my gratitude to Alf that has designed and shipped the boards to me
smily_headphones1.gif

after being delayed for some weeks, due to work and components lead time. yeah finally I've got my alien DAC working with no hiccup whatsoever!
great design makes it 100% chance to get it working at first instance
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #400 of 1,562
Ugh, so pissed! So I sat down this morning to begin working on my 2 DACs only to find that DigiKey shipped me the wrong parts even though the packaging is labeled correctly. Instead of the PCM2702 they sent the PCM1717 which is still a DAC but isn't going to be working in this circuit any time soon
frown.gif
. Looks like I'll be waiting until Monday to call Customer Service and get the part that I paid for.

Sep 30, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #401 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
Ugh, so pissed! So I sat down this morning to begin working on my 2 DACs only to find that DigiKey shipped me the wrong parts even though the packaging is labeled correctly. Instead of the PCM2702 they sent the PCM1717 which is still a DAC but isn't going to be working in this circuit any time soon
frown.gif
. Looks like I'll be waiting until Monday to call Customer Service and get the part that I paid for.

Nate, I have one extra PCM2702, just in case you need it...

wink.gif

Oct 1, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #402 of 1,562
What precautions should you take with this regarding plugging and unplugging things with the power on in this design?

Oct 1, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #403 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozshadow
What precautions should you take with this regarding plugging and unplugging things with the power on in this design?

I did all possible plugging and unplugging with this DAC and never had a problem, using USB power.

Oct 2, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #405 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozshadow

This beast is quite resilient. It survived all my cruel experiments and so did my computer. Mind you, I was very resourceful in torturing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back