Alien Dac quality comparison to Onkyo SE-U55 DAC.
Jan 4, 2008 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

strangedaze39

Member of the Trade: HeadCoverage
Does anyone know the quality of the Alien Dac compared to other ones on the market in the 100 dollar area. Specifically this one,

Onkyo SE-U55

ONKYO USB Processor review- Sept. 01 AUDIOPHILE AUDITION

I could pick that onkyo up at a hefty discount but I have a feeling that the Alien Dac might be better in sound quality. That Onkyo has A TON of inputs which is sexy though.

Sorry this is kind of a tough question.

Jan 5, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 4
IIRC the Alien DAC is an NOS (non-over-sampling) type. This will have a different sound signature than an over-sampling DAC (I think this includes the Onkyo).

Jan 7, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_cool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC the Alien DAC is an NOS (non-over-sampling) type. This will have a different sound signature than an over-sampling DAC (I think this includes the Onkyo).

Nope, PCM2702, which is the heart of the Alien DAC, has an internal 8x OS digital filter.

Jan 8, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangedaze39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know the quality of the Alien Dac compared to other ones on the market in the 100 dollar area. Specifically this one,

Onkyo SE-U55

ONKYO USB Processor review- Sept. 01 AUDIOPHILE AUDITION

I could pick that onkyo up at a hefty discount but I have a feeling that the Alien Dac might be better in sound quality. That Onkyo has A TON of inputs which is sexy though.

Sorry this is kind of a tough question.

Are you asking about this because of the Ebay add for one of these? If you are, I'm AudioVoodoo. If you are the winner, shipping's on me. I don't mind helping out a fellow Head-Fier.

If you have any questions, just shoot me an email/PM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back