Alessandro MS2: vwap or flat pads?
Sep 25, 2004 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ReDVsion

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm probably about to make a trade for a pair of MS2s, and I'd like to have a pair of either vwaps or flats for when they arrive. Unfortunately I'm not sure which pad type I'd prefer, especially considering the flats are more expensive and the vwaps are supposedly more comfortable. Has anyone compared these pad types on the MS2?

Sep 25, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 14
I haven't tried the pads with the MS2, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But I did have the MS1, sr-325, and (atm) the RS1 and I liked flats better. They hurt at first, but sound better than the vwaps (senn pads). Even modded and reversed. Bowls are damn good too.

Sep 25, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #5 of 14
Considering that the MS2 come with bowls I would get a pair of Todd Flat pads and be done with it. vwap does or does not make pads anymore. I reckon those are modded senn414 pads but nicely modded without looking crude at all. You can request him - they are pretty cheap $15.00 a pair I think.

Cheers!

Looks like someone already pointed out the review. Sweet
cool.gif

Sep 25, 2004 at 6:08 AM Post #6 of 14
fwiw, afaik no one has 'upgraded' from flats to vwaps, but everyone has done the exact opposite. i think that should answer your question.
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 14
But I have heard of people prefering the vwaps to flats. So it's not quite everyone...

Sep 25, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 14
As a sidenote, should I expect to completely hate the MS2s with one type of pads (bowls) and love them with another (flats)? In other words, will I be able to see the virtues of the MS2s with flats or will I know right off the bat whether they're right for me?

Sep 25, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 14
I guess a huge part of the sound comes from the headphone and pads only changes the sound slightly. Sort of tuning for the headphones.

BTW MS2 sounds great with the gilmore amp.

Sep 25, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 14
Possibly. Bowls and Flats each have distinct sounds. Chances are:

A. You'll like the bowls, hate flats
B. You'll like the flats, hate bowls
C. You'll like both
D. You'll hate both, and then join team sennheiser

As for liking flats or bowls of the bat, you'll need time. When I first tried the flats, I didn't like them. I was always a bowl man. But after a while, the flats grew on me. Both pads seem great for different "presentation". Also, you shouldn't judge by a/b-ing the pads. Spend a lot of time with both. As I as soon I put the bowls on after spending time with the flats, they sounded thin and harsh. When I put the flats on right after listening with the bowls, they sounded compressed and muddy. So, take time with each pad to try judge their qualities.

Sep 25, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
As a sidenote, should I expect to completely hate the MS2s with one type of pads (bowls) and love them with another (flats)? In other words, will I be able to see the virtues of the MS2s with flats or will I know right off the bat whether they're right for me?

It seems that only you'll be able to answer that question. I've seen plenty of threads where members are stil in dispute about the comfort level and sonic benefits of the available pads. The best way for you to know is to try both (flats and bowls). If you aren't ready to shell out $30 on flats, than listen to the bowls and see if there's something you don't like about them. If you're really that curious about both, buy flats and sell the ones you don't want to keep. ~ just some thoughts.

Sep 25, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #12 of 14
i say - get them all

Bowl, vwap, flat, comfies - and have a blast. You will not regret having them all if you are a grado junkie AND you will be able to sell them if you cant bear to listen to them.

I have found a groove for every one of them...a different application
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #13 of 14
I didnt know till i read some older posts that the original grado line shipped with flats. Todd bought out all the grado flats when they changed to the bowls. I think i read Tobb bought like 650 pair or somthing. So using the flats would be the old grado sound?

Sep 25, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #14 of 14
Todd didn't buy out all the flats. Grado stopped using them a whiles back cause john preferred the bowls. After years of constant "pushing" by us head-fi members, todd asked grado labs to make em, granted he'd have to spend quite a bit, and in return, we would as well (so todd wouldn't be at a monetary loss). If you really want old-grado sound, try the joe grado line.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back