Alessandro MS2 vs. Grado SR325 – buy both or just EQ one?
Feb 21, 2015 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

trphandle

New Head-Fier
I have the Alessandro MS2e.  It’s a great headphone, but it’s a tad smoother and less edgy than the traditional Grado house sound, which I have come to like.  I upgraded from the SR60 and was apprehensive of purchasing SR325e because of its reputation of being extremely bright and harsh, particularly because I listen to a lot of music that’s recorded brightly and harshly (a lot of metal).

Just wanted to get people’s opinion – should I get both the SR325e and MS2e, using the MS2e as my “all-rounder” and the SR325 when I want extra edge and energy, or just EQ the MS2e?  I’ve been EQ’ing frequencies < 1.2 KHz by -3db (EQ’ing down rather than up to reduce signal distortion).  The EQ sounds pretty good to me, and SR325e and MS2e are so close that I’d rather not spend another $300 on a headphone that is very similar to what I already have, but I don’t know what I’m missing since I’ve never actually heard SR325e.  I care about purity of sound to some degree but am not a true “audiophile” – first and foremost I want the music to be enjoyable to my ears.

Definitely interested in hearing from anyone who owns or has owned both headphones, in particular.

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 4
In my opinion, It is not possible to archive any house sound by EQ, especially Grado's SR325e and its Reference Series...

Still, I think that you should have a listen to higher models of Grado first (325e and RSXe would be suffice), since these have a tad discrepancy compared to your SR60 and decide whether you will pursue further into Grado territory or not. 

Then, if the answer is yes, you can get the 325e. However, I recommend you to consider the RS too, especially RS1e, because there is a risk that you might not be satisfy with the 325e and end up getting the RS anyway, which is a waste of money. 
^
^
By that, I am not pretty sure about your budget, but since you are into this hobby enough to buy 2 of 300$ phones, I am afraid that you won't be able to stop (this is taken directly from my experience, but ymmv).

...This is just my opinion, so please take it with a grain of salt.

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #4 of 4
The difference between the SR325 models and the lower prestige models is due largely to (a) the different pads in the SR60 and SR80 and (b) the metal cups. The metal cups likely account for the difference in brightness when all of the Prestige series use the same pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back