Alessandro ms1 vs ms2
Aug 8, 2008 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pierrot85

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody
This is my first post as an head-fi'er.
I was plannig to buy an alessandro ms1, but some people in the forums says that they prefer the ms2 for the rock and punk music.

Is there somebody who have both to compare them. The ms2 is 200$ more expensive than the ms1, so I would like if that price is justified to jump to the ms2.

thanks a lot

ps : sorry for my bad english I'm french

Aug 8, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #2 of 9
the ms2i and the grado sr225 are supposedly the sweet spots of the grado/alessandro lines. Besides that all the comments you will get on this question will be very mixed so i really suggest trying to audition them if you can. Ive tried the same research you have but could never end up with a clear cut straight answer.

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #3 of 9
For the given music genres I'd choose the SR225's over the MS2i's (don't know the previous MS2 model). If you buy any metal Grados/Alessandros, you'll prevent yourself from bobbing your head while listening and I guess this would be a bad thing for a punk/rock fan.
rs1smile.gif
I heard some people choose MS1 over the SR225's but me - given the MS2i's sound I wouldn't but it might be false to put them in the same row.

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #4 of 9
Hum... I never looked to the 225s before, i thought they were more neutral. apparently I was wrong
smily_headphones1.gif

The issue with the 225s is that they are very difficult to get in europe at a good price.
when you say that I can't bob my head with the ms2i, it's for their weight or their sound?

Aug 8, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by pierrot85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everybody
Is there somebody who have both to compare them. The ms2 is 200$ more expensive than the ms1, so I would like if that price is justified to jump to the ms2.

Hi pierrot85,
Is this headphone worth more than that headphone is of course an extremely subjective question. I have had both (at the same time for some considerable period) and below is my impressions soon after my MS2s arrived.

MS1s were my first real headphone. Listening to them for the first time in comparison to other fons I have owned, was like chalk and cheese. These fons bought the music alive, they involved me, and put emotion into my listening experience. Go team Alesandro.

The question became, if I go up the headphone path (MS2i) how much better are they or does the science of diminishing returns mean I spend a lot of money, on little improvement.

First impression –wow. Same sound signature as my MS1 but more body and extension.

The MS2 is an aggressive headphone, forward, fast, and with plenty of PraT.
The bass is strong and punchy, with more extension than the MS1 and more impact, but certainly not a bassy phone and in no way dark. At the other end of the sound spectrum, highs are extended, but not what I would call dominant, not overly bright or sibilant. The midrange is clear, crisp and with good separation. Not too forward or recessed, there is no emphasis on any particular frequency so I find them well balanced and enjoyable at any volume, but particularly when playing rock loud. I feel the MS2 is more detailed and balanced tonally than the MS1 (which is a great fon in itself and must rank as one of the best bangs for your buck out there) it is a very musical headphone, fun, and involving. They are built like they sound, refined and solid. There is something about crafted aluminum and stitched leather.

I don’t find the extra weight an issue (these are still not heavy phones) and in general I find supraaural comfortable. These are great fons, not fatiguing in any way for my money, (they have become a more fatiguing fon over time and I have since sought a warmer sound signature) very musical, very involving, emotion stirring and enjoyable. Worth the extra money over the MS1? Probably not for your average human, but for a headfier-definitely. I still stand by this review. It is important to point out that although the MS2 is more than twice the price of the MS1, it is no where near twice as good, however this is the case no matter which headphone chain you climb. Diminishing returns, my friend. Therefore the answer to your question is very subjective. Now if you skip the MS1s, you can't be a victim of diminishing returns can you?

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:22 AM Post #7 of 9
From what you say , I think i will take the ms2i, because the point is that if i take the ms1, i will ask myself if the ms2 is not better and buy it to find if it is or not. and i prefer the look of the ms2i

for the price of the grados, they are expensive in france because grado doesn't want to export outside of usa, and the french resellers take advantage of it
sr80 = 100 euros, so the 225 wil be in fact at the same price than the ms2

edit : about 200 euros for ms2 or 225

Aug 8, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #8 of 9
I am a hardcore Alessandro creature and know all models very well.

I personally suggest starting with the well balanced and affordeable MS1, it has the greater musical bandwidth, the better tone and a much better "emotional factor". The MS2i is technically superior, but it has severe fatiguing issues (sound and comfort). IMO only for hardcore metal and rock listeners with exceptional affinity towards agressive sound signature.

It is no coincidence that MS2s tend to get sold after half a year when the 1st raving has settled down.

If you feel like getting something better after the MS1, you better get the MS Pro, that is the real stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back