Alessandro MS1 + Total Bithead or MS2i
Feb 21, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're coming out of a stock laptop card, a bithead or headphonia or maybe echo indigo would IMO be a necessary step before bothering the get the MS-2. If it was a desktop computer, you might get away with a cheaper soundcard and no amp if your headphones are sensitive like a Grado. Why not think long term of getting an MS-1 and bithead now, and then slowly saving up to where you can sell the MS-1 and move up to the MS-2i?

That's what I thought would be best. I will eventually updrade to the MS2i, but why not get a little taste with the MS1 & Bithead, espcially considering I already have the Bithead.

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioJunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS2i. I have a MS1 and it doesn't sound that much better amped.

I beg to differ, my MS1 sound much better in my tube amp then my Go-Vibe. Most people love the warm sounding tube amp with the bowls on the MS1's. Really opens up and sounds wonderful. It really depends on what amp you use with them.

Now, there isnt as much chance in sound with my GoVibe, but its noticeable difference with the MS1's.

Feb 27, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #18 of 28
Hi, had to bump this again

So here's an update on the situation, but I just want a few more opinions!

I've got $195 in my paypal account + a Total Bithead. I really don't want to invest any more cash into the headphones. What would be my best option? Selling the BitHead and then having appx. $350 to spend on a MS2i & and a cheap amp, or buying the MS-1, or SR-225 and having that paired with the BitHead. I listen to FLAC only, mostly Rock & Live Acoustic music.

Feb 27, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #19 of 28
That's more than enough to buy a slightly used MS2i around here...
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I know. But I would have to sell my Bithead to get the MS2i. Is the MS2i worth it unamped?

I have not heard the Alessandro's (any of them), BUT,

I would rather have my sr225 and NO AMP, than to go back to sr60 with an amp.
Main reason: while my Grados have sounded very good with my Head-Five and my portable amps, to my ears (and in my setup) there is not as big a difference in adding the amp as there is moving UP THE LINE in headphones.

IMHO of course
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #23 of 28
Well, i only see a Bithead as your source/amp..however, if you sell that..what would you be using as a source? I mean, if you going to go from a bithead with a MS1 to a MS2i and crappy on board sound, then honestly, you better off keeping the bithead and buying the MS2i's, selling off your MS1's to make up the cost difference.

Now if you have a good source, then buy a cheap CMOY, sell off your Bithead and your MS1's. Then you should go for the MS2i's.

Feb 28, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, i only see a Bithead as your source/amp..however, if you sell that..what would you be using as a source? I mean, if you going to go from a bithead with a MS1 to a MS2i and crappy on board sound, then honestly, you better off keeping the bithead and buying the MS2i's, selling off your MS1's to make up the cost difference.

Now if you have a good source, then buy a cheap CMOY, sell off your Bithead and your MS1's. Then you should go for the MS2i's.

I think you misunderstood me. But I appreciate the advice/comments nonetheless. Right now, in head-fi terms, I have no headphones. I sold my SR-80, thinking that I was going to upgrade to the MS1, but then the MS2i caught my eye, and I was wondering what would be better. Buying an MS1 to use with my Total Bithead, or selling the Bithead to buy the MS2i.

Feb 28, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #26 of 28
Ok, if you sell your bithead...what will be your source you using with the ms2? Will it be crappy on board sound? Will it be from a home stereo setup?

If you have another decent source, then get the MS2...but if you going to move to a on board sound setup (Cause you sold the bithead, remember?) then get the MS1's and keep the bithead..

Feb 28, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #27 of 28
I got my MS-2i's a couple of days ago, and the keeping just making me go...... wow!

Keep your bithead and try to get a used pair, would be my advice.

Feb 28, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I just sold my SR-80, and am looking to upgrade.
I just bought a Total Bithead, but have only used it briefly, but can hear a difference and really liked what it did to my SR-80s while I had them.

What would be better? A MS1 with the Bithead, or a MS2i unamped.?

My reasoning is that I got ~$80 for my SR-80, and the Bithead was ~$150, so if I combined the two, I would have enough for a used MS2, or be close enough to pitch in the rest to make the jump.

I listen to alot of Folk, Acoustic, and Rock music. Any help would be appreciated!

With Grados, I would always go with headphones first. Even the ones that people say "really need an amp to sound their best", like the 225 and up, are very good unamped. Go with the MS2i, then get an amp later.

**EDIT**
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, if you sell your bithead...what will be your source you using with the ms2? Will it be crappy on board sound? Will it be from a home stereo setup?

If you have another decent source, then get the MS2...but if you going to move to a on board sound setup (Cause you sold the bithead, remember?) then get the MS1's and keep the bithead..

^
Very good point. But, I personally think they sound great ouf of an unamped iPod (or any top DAP). They are a little unwieldy when using with a portable source, however (especially if you get a 225 or greater with a 1/4" plug).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back