Alessandro MS1 questions
Mar 8, 2007 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

havok2022

New Head-Fier
I have been considering picking up a pair of these for my computer. Plan on listening to music on my PC, and use them for gaming and whatnot but i had a few questions for those users that already own them.

1.) How durable are they? I tend to give my PC headphones quite a beating (thus why i'm looking for a new set). I want good quality, yet something that can withstand being taken on and off and on and off and tossed on the desk on a regular basis.

2.) Comfort - Being the computer nerd that I am I can game in upwards of 8-12 hours at times. I was looking at getting the Sennheiser HD414 pads to put on these. What is the level of comfort these can offer for extended use with these pads? Right now I use the Bose QC2's (don't knock em, they were free) and their level of comfort is pretty darn awesome.

3.) Shipping time - I have heard that the MS1's take a long time to get. Can anyone confirm/deny this? I don't want another Ultimate Ears incident (I am still waiting on my Triple.Fi 10's that I ordered on Jan 3. No ETA.)

Any help on answer these things for me would be great.

Thanks

Mar 8, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 5
1) I also use them with my computer and they can withstand quite a bit of tossing around in that kind of environment. But if you're planning to throw them in your LAN backpack unprotected, they wont stay fit for long. So very durable for your purposes imho.
cool.gif

2) Comfort seems to be pretty personal issue with these. For me they are just fine for few hours. I rarely have time for more. Only problem is that comfies tend to get warm, but those 414s should fix that problem. For others tho, Grados are torture from the very first minute so pretty hard to say. They aren't uncomfortable, but there defo are more comfortable alternatives around.

3) Shipping times are known to vary from 4 days to 3 months. I heard that some guy got them in 5 days just a couple of days ago so they might have them in stock atm. But that can change very fast...

I personally like these cans, but I don't use them for gaming that much. If there are other people in the room, it might get a bit annoying for them since MS-1s leak sound a lot. Have you considered A900?
tongue.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 5
Ah, durability. Glad you asked!

For the better part of four months while the kids were waiting for new cans at Christmas, they were using my MS-1s for computer stuff as well as portable use. I tried to be sure they were careful, but kids are kids. Four of them, ages 5 through 12.

The DAY BEFORE CHRISTMAS one of them left the cans with the cable dangling down and another of them managed to sit in the computer chair and spin it around.

Yup; the phones were dragged under the chair and the cable got tangled in the base and lost a few big chunks of insulation between the "Y" and the housings.

Durability? Yeah! You bet!! They still play beautifully!
smily_headphones1.gif

...and to think....some folks actually complain that Grado cables are TOO heavy!
icon10.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 5
MS1s - not that good with gaming. I just feel like it doesn't have enough "ooomph". Fantastic with music though!

Durability - check - although I never mistreated mine
smily_headphones1.gif

Comfort - check. The headband is bendable. Keep this in mind. Lots of people complain of clamping, but if you can bend it (though lightly) to fit your head - then why not?

Personally - I find my HD497 perfect for gaming. Spacey sound and lots of bass. Good for FPS - because you can tell how far an enemy is. Comfort is an issue though, so definitely audition before purchasing. Might I add that the 497 cables disconnect from the left and right headset. I've tripped on the cord on many occassions - and this has saved my cords from breaking
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back