Alessandro MS1 Mods
Feb 13, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 15
SQ: 1/4 mod on comfies, and the MS1000.

The MS1 can be modded the same way as the rest of the Grado's.

Happy modding!
beerchug.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 15
You might want to try searching. Some people here at Head-Fi really insist on newer people to use the search, a lot lol.

Feb 14, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 15
metal air chamber, wooden air chamber, re-cable, MS1000 mod, various different earpads, the 'dollop' mod, replace grills with more open ones...

Feb 14, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #7 of 15
I would recommend you stick with pad mods, as they are (relatively) cheap and reversible. What is the "dollop" mod? I'm afraid I haven't heard of that one.

Feb 14, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #8 of 15
You put a bit of blu-tak on the center of the driver. It is known that most higherend Grado's use this. It apparently tightens up the bass. Also, you can wrap duct tape around the bowls. This is known as the basshead mod. It increases bass, because the bowls stick closer to your ear, letting more bass be heard.

Feb 14, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #9 of 15
What you want is to hit up ebay or whatever and get a set of yellow HD414 pads.

Just search for HD414 quarter mod or something, you'll find what I'm talking about. Basically you just cut a smallish hole (about the size of a US quarter) and fit the hole you cut yourself over the headphones, so the precut hole rests over the driver.

The effect is you have a nice clean looking hole plus the driver is exposed, so the sound doesn't have to travel through any foam to get to your ear. It does make them a tad more fatiguing, but punch, detail and separation are much improved.

For me it was a US$10 upgrade (a lot cheaper than bowls!) that made my MS1's go from a "meh, they're pretty good I guess" headphones, to a "man, these headphones are pretty good!"
smily_headphones1.gif

Check out here & here

Feb 14, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #10 of 15
Mean mod of the minute:

1) Remove the backs with steam.
2) Punch out all the holes in the felt/cloth behind the drivers.
3) Remove the screen from the front.

Believe it or not, this will give you more ample bass and give you a cleaner high end. It's free but it's not as easily reversible.

Feb 14, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #11 of 15
Getting rid of the cloth?

Won't that cause the drivers to dust up?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mean mod of the minute:

1) Remove the backs with steam.
2) Punch out all the holes in the felt/cloth behind the drivers.
3) Remove the screen from the front.

Believe it or not, this will give you more ample bass and give you a cleaner high end. It's free but it's not as easily reversible.

Feb 14, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #12 of 15
Search is your friend, my friend.

Mods I can think of, which repeats many of those above:
1) Pads (comfy, bowl, salad bowl aka GS-1000 pads, Senn 414 pads variations)
2) Ms-1000
3) Basshead mod
4)Recable
5)Woody / Metal cups
6)New gauze/net
7)Headband (Beyer or from Jmoneyaudio v2/v3)
8)Something about placing something behind the driver
9)Bash' em and jump on them till they turn to pieces mod (highly unrecommended)

Feb 14, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #13 of 15
About recabling....

I have been using the Alessandro MS1's for a while, but the thing that really gets me is (gasp) the cable that comes with all Grados.. They just don't seem to stay straight, and whenever I use them for portable use, they're just too stiff and awkward for me to use.

So, I want to recable my MS1's with something slightly thinner, something that will not easily tangle, and with no microphonics... maybe I can mod it so I can get rid of the Y-split as well.

The purpose of me wanting to recable is purely for comfort sake, not to improve the SQ, so I probably will not spend on any cabling over $20.....

with that said, can anyone suggest me with a good, but cheap cabling for this matter?

Feb 15, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by irjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About recabling....

I have been using the Alessandro MS1's for a while, but the thing that really gets me is (gasp) the cable that comes with all Grados.. They just don't seem to stay straight, and whenever I use them for portable use, they're just too stiff and awkward for me to use.

So, I want to recable my MS1's with something slightly thinner, something that will not easily tangle, and with no microphonics... maybe I can mod it so I can get rid of the Y-split as well.

The purpose of me wanting to recable is purely for comfort sake, not to improve the SQ, so I probably will not spend on any cabling over $20.....

with that said, can anyone suggest me with a good, but cheap cabling for this matter?

eBay seller 'navships' sells silver plated copper wire for decent prices, that are pretty popular with DIYers here. Grab a couple of neutrik plugs and maybe some techflex or whatever and you might have yourself a nice cable.

personally using my MS1s for portable use seems crazy: how do you deal with such little isolation!?

Feb 15, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by iHelp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Getting rid of the cloth?

Won't that cause the drivers to dust up?

It won't cause the drivers to dust up but it won't prevent it either. In my experience, dust has a way of getting in there, regardless. It's easier to blow it out when there's nothing in the way. Whatever the case, I like the difference in sound, which is why I did it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back