Alessandro ms-2 vs Grado sr225
Jun 28, 2007 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mrchyles

New Head-Fier
If I liked the Grado sr225s what would I think of the Alessandro ms-2s? What are their similarities and their differences? Would people who enjoy both, recommend the extra cash to get the alessandros? Are the ms-2s as good without an amp as the Grados?

Jun 28, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 10
Bit out of topic...
wink.gif

Get RS2, used around USD 375
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrchyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I liked the Grado sr225s what would I think of the Alessandro ms-2s? What are their similarities and their differences? Would people who enjoy both, recommend the extra cash to get the alessandros? Are the ms-2s as good without an amp as the Grados?

Jun 28, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 10
I haven't heard the SR-225 so I really can't comment on the sound except to say that my understanding from reading bunches of threads is that the MS2i is a little better in SQ. How much better? I dunno. "Some"; I guess.

I can comment on other aspects of the differences though. The differences in workmanship and materials is simply stunning! Is it worth 100 bucks? I dunno 'bout you, but it is for me!

....in other words, in my situation going from MS-1 to MS2i....I'm satisfied with he differences for the price.

Jun 28, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 10
Ive been very vocal lately regarding the Grado/Alessadro. I have owned a good cross section of them. I believe the move through the upper half of the line to be sublte. That being said, the metal Grado/Alessadros are the sweet spot. I like the metal housing, they feel substantial. I also the presentation of the SR 325i and MS2i. I think that either one of those are great. The MS2s are slightly more relaxed to me at this point but I only have about 150 hours on the SR325i.The MS2i's where used with several years on them. The biggest different in sound signature is from pad changing. When I need to feel energized and tap the toes, Grado please.

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 10
I've chosen the MS2is over the SR225 and even SR325i (They sound closer to the SR325i). And that was after weeks of serious listening. Is it worth the price difference? A BIG yes! The Grados are a bit too bright to my taste. And the Alessandros? Perfectly balanced
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xsparc7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And the Alessandros? Perfectly balanced
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a pair of MS2i and I am very happy with them, well balanced, good soundstage.

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 10
I had the 225's and traded them shortly after I received my MS2i. The Alessandros correct the deficiencies of the 225's - the bass is more robust through the lower register without being boomy, the treble is crisp with no edge that the 225's demonstrated, and the mids are silkier. They just seem more mature, overall. The 225's were a significant improvement over the 60/80/125 group, but the MS2i are the same improvement over the 225's. The build quality is much better, too - they seem substantial, like something you will have for years and years. Overall, they are a very even presentation, seemly less colored, more "unfooled around with" in their SQ. It's as if the 225s were engineered to present their strengths well while excusing some deficiencies. Leaving well enough alone, you might be pleased with them. When you give the same critical listening experience to the MS2i, however, you realize that it does everything better than the 225's, but seemingly without trying so hard in the process, and hiding or excusing nothing. Very natural, easy going, detailed, yet fun sound. Sometimes it's breathtaking. I'm very pleased.

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #9 of 10
125 is more for jazz and classical according to ttvj.com's description.. my mistake on the 225s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back