Alessandro MS-2 burn-in
May 18, 2004 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jkim

New Head-Fier
I just have received MS-2 and frankly I cannot tell difference with rs-1 that is burnt-in.
I just have listened and compared it quite a while.
How long it takes for MS-2 to be burnt-in? and what is different in sound after burn-in?
I have to buy it or should return to seller after 7 days and I'm afraid I cannot even listen right sound of this cans.
Please answer. Thanks.

May 18, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 8
As I remember, first 40-50 hours were crucial, I heard very subtle changes in sound even after approx. 200-300 hours....

I guess you can easily sell MS-2's at the Sell/Trade Forums later...

May 18, 2004 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkim
I just have received MS-2 and frankly I cannot tell difference with rs-1 that is burnt-in.

Thanks! Guess I'll put that RS-1 upgrade on the backburner... I feel great about my MS-2's now
tongue.gif

Sorry, sorry. On a more serious note, I found the MS-2's to really need a long burn in period (say, two-three months regular use) to let their true character show through, and finally settle down. A few essentially independent observers (ie mates) made this comment without prompting from me. However, I suspect it would be madness (I left my sense of tact at the office, sorry) to expect better sound from your MS-2 than your RS-1 - which is, by all accounts, an all-round improvement on it's little metallic sibling.

After having some ups and downs in the first months of our relationship, I'm now a firm believer in the MS-2's, which when listening to jazz give me a remarkably addictive experience. On my PPA, the MS-2's really do respond to "live" versus "studio" music much, much better; unlike my Ety ER-4P/S, which will soak up any music style and render it pretty impartially. I think the MS-2's are a little too... revealing? unsympathetic? to a lot of studio-oriented recordings.

Final note: I plan on posting a proper MS-2 review, but want to hold off till I get my hands on a better digital source - EMU 1212M it looks like.

May 18, 2004 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 8
Interesting. I myself have not heard the MS-2s but reading here I would have thought there was some definite difference between them and the MS-pros or RS-1s. Anyone care to comment?

Cheers,

TonyAAA

May 18, 2004 at 1:42 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkim
I just have listened and compared it quite a while.
How long it takes for MS-2 to be burnt-in? and what is different in sound after burn-in?
I have to buy it or should return to seller after 7 days and I'm afraid I cannot even listen right sound of this cans.
Please answer. Thanks.

If you can't hear the differance then maybe the rs-1 is the one you should sell.

May 18, 2004 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chefguru
If you can't hear the differance then maybe the rs-1 is the one you should sell.

I could accomodate him in that.
tongue.gif

May 19, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 8
I listened more carefully and compared with rs-1 in main system after I got home.
It seems that ms-2 have narrower staging than rs-1 and rs-1 sounded more refined.
ms-2's high was not so harshing as sr-325.
I'm wating for grado divide cable to arrive for better comparison.
And it is disappointing that ms-2 need such long burn-in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back