Alessandro MS-1s or Grado SR-80s?
Dec 17, 2007 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jayinhk

100+ Head-Fier
Before Head-Fi, I didn't even know 'open' headphones existed. I'm interested in trying Grado-style headphones. I can get the MS-1s or the SR-80s for exactly the same price ($100). I listen to primarily hip-hop and reggae, but I do want good, clear highs too. Which would you pick, and why? I'll be using them with a PA2V2.

Dec 17, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 17
Don't know the SR80, but I know (the theoretically better) SR225 and found it slightly inferior to the MS1 - too dull and midfi-ish IMO, and too expensive. Wouldn't take the Grado. A question of taste though, I tend to dislike fons with unprominent highs.

Dec 17, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 17
The basic rundown is that the SR80 has more bass, while the MS-1 has better highs and is slightly brighter. Depends on your preference, really.

Dec 17, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 17
Thanks fuzydice. I've read through some of the other threads, but it's a difficult decision :p I'm trying to get as much input as possible.

nickchen: thanks, i've heard the sr 225 can be disappointing. The SR-60 and 80, as well as all other Grado phones, aside from the SR-225 (from what I've read on here) are supposed to be outstanding though. Oh, and those iGrados. They don't look like they're all that either.

carlin: some say the sr-60 and sr-80 are too bright, and the alessandro is less so, but still accurate.

Ideally, I'd like to hear from someone who has first-hand experience with both the MS-1 and the SR-80.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm listening to some James Brown on my new 280Pros.

Dec 17, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ranz_blacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why thou shalt not search before posted hereth

I bet that phrase is ununderstandable for wrestling watchers...
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 17
I would get the 80's since you like hip hop and such. The 80's have great bass and the highs are very good too. I would be afraid that the ms1"s may be too bright and not have enough bass for your music. One thing I noticed when I first got my 225's is that they are darker sounding than the 80's. This means they seem to be missing highs when actually they are not. As a matter of fact they have more detail in highs than the 80's. When I listen to my 80's it seems like the top end is chopped off compared to the 225's.when you use an amp with the 225's you can really tell the difference between the 80's and the 225's. I am not disappointed with either of these phones. I have never heard an ms1 to do a comparison against these though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayinhk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before Head-Fi, I didn't even know 'open' headphones existed. I'm interested in trying Grado-style headphones. I can get the MS-1s or the SR-80s for exactly the same price ($100). I listen to primarily hip-hop and reggae, but I do want good, clear highs too. Which would you pick, and why? I'll be using them with a PA2V2.

Dec 17, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #10 of 17
I own both, and prefer the MS1's...but you can't go wrong with either.

Dec 17, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 17
Jive turkey;which has the better bass response the ms1 or sr80?

Dec 18, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #13 of 17
I really don't hear that much difference in the two...Find the MS1's a little smoother.

Dec 18, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #14 of 17
I tried both before settling on the MS-1. To me, the MS-1 is just so much punchier. Also, Grados' and Alessandros' respond very well to pad rolling. Comfies, bowls, bass mod for bowls, reverse quarter mod etc all render the sound differently. My own preference is the reverse quarter mod.

Have fun
rs1smile.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #15 of 17
OK, thanks everyone. I read through almost the entire MS-1 and SR-80 appreciation threads. I'm pretty sure I'll pick up the SR-80s either later today or tomorrow. Going to read the 'differences' thread now before I make my final decision.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back