Alessandro MS-1s for classical and piano music
Sep 24, 2009 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Loud_TIGER

Head-Fier
Would these headphones be well suited for my primary genres of music? I've heard it was a good all-rounder.

If not, what would you recommend for < $100 that's open and drivable by an ipod?

Thanks!

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 9
That's pretty much my number one choice for under $100, period, any headphone. I think you'll really like them, plus they work pretty well out of an iPod!

Sep 24, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 9
I think the MS-1i handles everything well. I'm sure if you had loads of money, you could buy a different phone for every genre some people say a particular phone is best for. IMO, the things that make it great for rock, which most people agree on, also make it good for classical and piano-emphasized music. I think the MS-1i is a great all-rounder.

Sep 24, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 9
While I generally agree with the above praise for the MS1, for me, the AD700 did a better job with classical music by virtue of its larger soundstage. The MS1 has one of the most flat/2-dimensional soundstages I have ever heard, making it not so good for larger classical works. There are some headphones with really immersive soundstages and accurate positioning, but unfortunately the MS1 is just not one of them--you more or less never forget that you are listening to a headphone (i.e. two drivers pumping music directly into your ears). If we are talking solo piano, I guess the MS1 would work fine. However, I do agree that the MS1 is the more versatile of the two headphones as it does rock and pop better than the AD700.

So it's really up to you and how important soundstage is to you. If you are one of those people that think only speakers can achieve a real soundstage and headphones cannot, then MS1 is definitely the way to go, otherwise I would look into the AD700.

P.S. Both run fine unamped.

Sep 24, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 9
The only problem with the MS1s and piano is they have some weird resonance. I think it might be a side effect of the upfront grado sound.

I usually pull out my AD700s for piano and classsical.

Sep 24, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 9
MS-1i's are great.

I listen to classical a lot with them, and I prefer their engaging sound rather than large sound stage. Some may not. But it's much more moving for me.

Sep 24, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 9
Listening to Monteverdi opera on them right now,but am on shuffle so could be ZZtop next.MS-1's were made for 16th century castrated tenors and harpsicords.Will rip and listen to some Martha Argerich piano tomorrow and get back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back