Alessandro MS-1 vs Shure SRH-840?
Nov 28, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #16 of 19
From my experience, the Alessadro needs to be properly amped so the drums won't sound like plastic barrels. Shure 840? After searching many sites (this one included), it seems like it performs brilliantly without amp, but even better amped.

Nov 28, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #17 of 19
I also own and love both. As so many have said already, for rock go for MS-1, for general use (movies, gaming, electro, etc.) go for Shure.

One thing I have to say tho is that as much as I like them, they both have their shortcomings. MS-1s are a bit awkward in movies and bass-heavy music while Shures just wont provide the raw sound you look for in rock.

So I think the background info is pretty easy to provide. Choosing one over the other, not so much.
wink_face.gif

Nov 28, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my experience, the Alessadro needs to be properly amped so the drums won't sound like plastic barrels. Shure 840? After searching many sites (this one included), it seems like it performs brilliantly without amp, but even better amped.

I think that you may have the two headphones reversed. MS-1(i)'s don't require an amp as much as the Shures do. This is well documented here. For instance, the SRH-440 is often said to be a better 'phone than the SRH-840 if left unamped. The 840 requires extra power to reach its full potential; otherwise, the low-end sounds tinny and lifeless by comparison. It still sounds good out of a cheap DAC of an iPod or laptop, mind you. But not great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back