Alessandro MS-1 vs MS-1 2009 improved version
Jun 2, 2009 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

procxi

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I know the same thread has been open before (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ale...estion-414269/) but I couldn't fine any details about a proper comparison or at least what's new on the new version of MS-1. I asked this from Alessandro and they just says some improvements in the drivers etc,. But what exactly these changes are all a mystery.

There seems to be lots of people with the new MS-1 but sadly they are not previous MS-1 owners. Therefore, a comparison it not possible.
frown.gif

I'm pretty mush set my head on buying MS-1 but not sure whether it should be new or the old version... who knows, maybe the old version is more suitable for my style
beyersmile.png

Dose anyone know what type of changes are done on the new version? Has Alessandro given out a official word about this? a comparison would be even better...
beerchug.gif

And thanks in advance for all the information....

Cheers !!!

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 14
I'm confuse... now I don't see the improved version anymore on the Alessandro website... It was there a few days ago... I have also noticed someone else mentioning about the same occurrence in the Alessandro website in another thread... out of stock maybe ???
frown.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #3 of 14
strange... I just checked the website with the following URL and now it shows new version...

Alessandro High-End Products

but if you use this

Alessandro High-End Products: Music Series Headphones

then it doesn't show the new version...

the second urls comes from google search where as the first url comes if you browse the Alessandro website form the home page...

strange... but for those who were confused about this occurence this may be the answer...

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 14
Well they're not completely other headphones. They're still MS-1. Can't go wrong with both versions so pick the one you like.
FWIW though, I thought I read that the new RS1i is better than the RS1. Read it in the Canjam impressions thread.

Jun 2, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 14
As far as 'i' version vs older version, I'll go out on a limb and say this: if you had the 2 phones and A/B'd them, you would probably notice a slight difference between the two. What would be the difference, and which would be better for you??? Only your ears could tell you that. But I will say that after 20 minutes of either on your ears, you would completely forget whatever the difference are between the two!!

Therefore, just go for the newer model -- I have it and I like it alot! Smoother than the SR-80 (the older version
smile_phones.gif
).

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 14
Hi guys long time listener, first time caller.

I just got my pair of MS1 "Improved". I actually ordered the original version without seeing the right link. I emailed them and they changed my order. Took about a week and half from time of purchase.

I've only had them for a few hours and I've never owned high end cans before so I really can't give you any good comparisons.

All I can say is they rock! I mean really, rock music sounds amazing. I haven't had this much fun listening to headphones in a long time. The 2009 ($110) comes with 1/8 inch miniplug and a screw type adapter for 1/4 inch. They come with the comfies. BTW, I can't seem to buy grado bowls anywhere!!

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try here: Grado Bowl Pads - $20.00 : TTVJ, Todd The Vinyl Junkie
If you feel like experimenting, you can get the stuff to make it into the 'MS1000' or basically MS1 + GS1000 pads + a 'spacer'.

brn80, I can see 'MS1000' appearing in a bunch of sigs and confusing the bejeezus out of many Head-Fiers. I want to be the last Head-Fier with a pair of 'original' MS-1s !
k701smile.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
brn80, I can see 'MS1000' appearing in a bunch of sigs and confusing the bejeezus out of many Head-Fiers. I want to be the last Head-Fier with a pair of 'original' MS-1s !
k701smile.gif

I know, heh, I guess I am guilty of doing the same thing I usually don't think new users should be subject to, i.e. spewing down 'random names/mods/you need a new DAC or source' down their throats while they're just starting out
tongue.gif

The MS1000 intrigues me though, just because it involves using circumaural pads with Grado type headphones. I used to own C-pads (beyer pads modded to fit the SR series) but it took away some of the punch that I like. Apparently this mod don't detract too much from that. I used to own a RS-2 and loved them the most from the Grado line, but I can't stand supra-aural cans for long so I've always gotten rid of my Grados. I'm finding that when I listen to certain tracks these days (read: classic rock type) I really wish I had one of these cans on hand. I have yet to sample Alessandro-land, however. I suppose I should have linked the MS1000 mod.

Jul 11, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #10 of 14
Hi all,

After many months of research (many thanks to head-fi) and about 6 weeks of waiting I finally got my MS-1 2009 version.

I was quite existed to listen to the very first song and it didn't disappoint me... Sound/frequency definition was extremely good. I felt like I hear more music with much clarity with little bit of warm touch to it. And in most songs, I managed to hear considerable amount of sound that I haven't heard from my previous phones...

However, I expected a little more bass/depth performance (more impact). Although, there was enough bass produced I felt that with most pop songs mid to higher frequencies dominated more. Maybe with little more burning this will be fixed. But with a song that contain more bass/depth you can clearly notice MS-1's bass performance, it was very good.

Sounds stage was good... But because I don't own a MS-1 old version I don't know the amount of improvement.

For the price tag (US $110), these a very good headphones... I wish if I could listen to Audio Technical AD700 for a comparison... MS-1 may not be the ultimate headphones but without a doubt it is a strong contender in the category, probably the best in the cost to performance category. I'll be hanging on to these for a long time... and then go for the next step up...

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #11 of 14
the improved version ones have a much bigger plastic chamber for each of the headphones than the previous version i think. i have owned a grado sr60 and the new alessandro ms1i. i like the sound of the ms1i better, although they really look dumb on my head as they are much bigger than the sr60. they stick out to the sides a lot. i sound like i dont know english in this post haha sorry.

Jul 25, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #13 of 14
yes MS-1i is the new name

Nov 3, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #14 of 14
I have a pair of MS-i's on the way, these are my first Grado's (always listened to Senns and AKG's.) Should I order bowl pads? What difference to the sound do they make?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back