Alessandro MS-1 Vs. Grado SR80's
Oct 26, 2005 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AllenW

New Head-Fier
Does anyone has opinions, thoughts, anything? Im torn between these two cans and could use some help from the knowledgeable people at headfi to as of which one to purchase, (I know that the ms-1s are just moded grados, but is the there enough of a difference to purchase one over the other?)

Thanks for any help you can provide
etysmile.gif

Oct 26, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #2 of 5
People on this site say the MS1 has a smother (rolled off?, flatter?) treble than the SR80. Apparently the MS1 does classical music as well a rock, making it more of a general purpose headphone. Grados, with their
non-flat frequency curve and forward midrange, are especially good for
rock music."headphone.com " shows the frequency curves of the sr60/sr80.

Oct 26, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 5
If I only had to choose between the 2 unamped, I would take the Alessandro's but get a pair of bowl pads. With a decent amp, I would actually take the SR80s. In reality, I would I take neither and pay slightly more for a used SR125. Though many feel that the MS-1 is better than the SR125, I find the SR125 to be a much more engaging listening experience.

Oct 26, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaOmega
People on this site say the MS1 has a smother (rolled off?, flatter?) treble than the SR80. Apparently the MS1 does classical music as well a rock, making it more of a general purpose headphone.

The MS-1 has flatter treble than the Grados. Classical musical is excellent, but you might want to go higher up the range for better bass and soundstage performance. The frequency graphs are at http://headroom.headphone.com

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back