Alessandro MS-1 Pad Replacement Help
Apr 4, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #16 of 21
TheSoviet, before you do anything I suggest you remove the pads and wash them with liquid soap and lukewarm water. Rinse and repeat. The allow to air dry overnight, you will find the ear-pads will be softer and way more comfortable. Good luck.

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by outlawdon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not true. The sound will change very slightly with the hd414.

A little bit more soundstage with more brightness and a tiny drop in the low end. Very minor but it's a change. I've swapped between comfies vs hd414 many times to compare before.

x2. I wouldn't go as far to say more soundstage, but perhaps that is the way your ears perceive the added bit of brightness/details.

The comfy pads are really the most congested and muffled sounding pads you can possibly have for Grados/Alessandros. The HD414 are thinner and made from another material that will give you a brighter sound which at least I prefer. I also tried modded HD414 pads and I like those even better with the MS-1.
The quarter-modded HD414 pads are less comfortable though than the stock HD414s. What I did was use the circle that you cut out while modding and slide it under the pads. You have the benefit of the unobstructed air but with the comfort of stock pads.
beerchug.gif

If you really want to mod your MS-1s to the max take a look at the link in my sig. It will direct you to nickchen's MS1000 mod which in short is a MS-1 with distancers, GS1000 pads and some damping material.

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. I wouldn't go as far to say more soundstage, but perhaps that is the way your ears perceive the added bit of brightness/details.

The comfy pads are really the most congested and muffled sounding pads you can possibly have for Grados/Alessandros. The HD414 are thinner and made from another material that will give you a brighter sound which at least I prefer. I also tried modded HD414 pads and I like those even better with the MS-1.
The quarter-modded HD414 pads are less comfortable though than the stock HD414s. What I did was use the circle that you cut out while modding and slide it under the pads. You have the benefit of the unobstructed air but with the comfort of stock pads.
beerchug.gif

If you really want to mod your MS-1s to the max take a look at the link in my sig. It will direct you to nickchen's MS1000 mod which in short is a MS-1 with distancers, GS1000 pads and some damping material.

Well, actually, the standard comfies give the sound sig that what I like the most, I don't think make it brighter will be better, it's ok if just tiny brighter though.

Well, looks like I have to give a try to pad HD414 later
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif

True...guess it's not so much more soundstage, but more brightness with more openness.

I like the quarter modded comfies as I get the best comfort but having the hole helps the details to come through. I add PX100 pads underneath for even more comfort.

Of course, it all depends on what Grado model you have and how you want to vary and change the sound signature with the different mixing of pads. Too bright...add more pads and don't do the quarter mods. Not bright enough...quarter mod as needed.

Apr 5, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #20 of 21
I always kept my comfies stock because they were the original pads and I wanted to keep them untouched. I totally like the quarted modded HD414 pads though so I guess the quarter modded comfies should be nice too.
What you did with the PX100 pads I did with the circle I cut from the pads. I could slide it under the pads for increased comfort. In your case though with the added height from the comfies and PX1000 pads means there is more air between your ear and the drivers and possibly more soundstage.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #21 of 21
This is my first post here so hello everybody!
I've recieved my MS-1i just a few days ago, after ~50 hours of burn i must say I love the sound but as they come with comfies I really would like to try other pads. Problem is, as most Alessandro owners I bought them coz Grados are very expensive outside US, sadly so are dedicated pads, so I started thinking how to get bowls/flats without paying 1/3 of my headphones' price. Basically bowls = foam rings and as they are not placed between the driver and the ear theoretically any foam should do. My question is: Has anybody tried cutting out something similar to bowls out of the pizza box fill foam?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back