Alessandro MS-1 mod using HD414 pads..
Dec 7, 2005 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kurt_fire

100+ Head-Fier
I need some help here guys. Today I received 2 pairs of HD414 yellow pads. I want to circle mod one of them, and leave the other stock.

First, how do you even put the HD414 pads onto the MS-1? The "circle" that would wrap around the drivers casing is smaller than the pads the MS-1 came with. I don't think it will stretch and fit.

Regarding the mod, can somebody give me some tips on how to do it so I don't mess anything up? Should I use a quarter and an exacto-knife and cut a hole through the middle of the pad? Can somebody post pictures of this?

Dec 8, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #2 of 12
Please people, I need some help!

Dec 8, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 12
Kurt,
Take the pads and put them on a magazine (or something you dont mind cutting) with the side of the factory hole face up.
Put a quarter through the hole, laying it on the center of the inside of the pad. uUsing your fore-finger, push down with weight on the quarter, while you neatly and slowly cut around the quarter with a razor blade/exacto knife.
No worries here-does not need to be perfect.
This hole you just cut will be the hole you stretch (albeit, with some force) over the driver housing. It will fit quite snugly.
IMO the non-modded version is a complete waste of time-everything gets congested.
Not much of a fan of the modded 414 either...ive tried em all-alwasy go back to the bowls. The bowls get comfy after a while (was them a good 3-4 times with some hair conditioner).
I think I may just go for the headphile c-pads...
Airy, crisp and non-congested...
GL.

Dec 8, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt_fire
First, how do you even put the HD414 pads onto the MS-1? The "circle" that would wrap around the drivers casing is smaller than the pads the MS-1 came with. I don't think it will stretch and fit.

With the HD414 pads, you stretch the holes slightly with your fingers in a pulling action. After that, you will need to take some time and wrap the pad into the driver like helping a little kid wearing his socks. It me took me some time before i got it to wrap around the whole driver since it was smaller. Trust me, it does fit.

Eric

Dec 8, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 12
So you put the modded side with the quarter cut hole around the casing? Then you put the side of the little indention it comes with onto your ear? This seems backwards to me. Shouldn't you put the wider part of the pad onto your head? If that's the case, the side with the quarter mod should be touching your ear.

Also, where can I get some "bowls" for my MS-1s? I'd like to get some of those as well, so I compare all three setups.

So this picture is wrong correct? The hole that should be facing out should be the hole the pads already had in it? I'm confused. Also in this picture, the hole is a lot larger than a quarter. How big of hole is optimal?
P1000251.jpg

Dec 8, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #6 of 12
I also found this picture.
ms11.jpg

Both pictures have the side with the stock hole going around the casing, not the side that you mod. Are both of these pictures wrong?

Also, what sized hole is optimal? A quarter, or slightly larger?

Dec 8, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #7 of 12
It's your choice whether you want to reverse the pads or not. Just pick whichever you think sounds better. Personally, I prefer to cut a hole that exposes the entire driver rather than just the center. Using a quarter as your template will only expose the center, but perhaps a half dollar may do the trick. My favorite method for cutting the hold is by pressing coin up against the foam (press it hard so the foam is practically flattened and won't budge) then tracing around the coin with a sharp blade. This will give a cleaner cut than attempting to freehand it with some scissors.

Dec 8, 2005 at 9:33 AM Post #8 of 12
The cleanest possible circle is made by using a small round cylinder, like either a 1 inch piece of metal pipe or a large socket and placing the pad face down on a piece of wood etc, and giving the pipe a smack with a hammer. Produces a perfectly round hole with no funny edges.

Andrew

Dec 8, 2005 at 12:01 PM Post #10 of 12
grado10.jpg

My ms1s with purple dyed senn pads.

After you mod them, like deaconblues descibed, you can put them on either normal or reversed. For most bass you put them on normal, and pressed down all the way so the lie flat.

Dec 8, 2005 at 12:22 PM Post #11 of 12
I personally prefer the cut hole around the housing.

To me it looks bet, but most of all sounds better to my ears.

Dec 8, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #12 of 12
I prefer them reversed:

reversehd414.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back