Alessandro MS-1: Amp necessary?
Nov 1, 2006 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Varcharz

Head-Fier
I've read that these compare with Grado SR125s, I currently use a pair of Grado SR60s, and I have two questions about the Alessandros.

First, do they require an amp in order to not sound murky/muddy?

Second, am I going to notice much of an upgrade from the SR60s? My pair are currently broken (the right ear pad broke off from the head band, but it sticks back in for listening, so it's not a big deal), but I still wish to upgrade at some point anyway, so will I notice an upgrade?

If an amp is absolutely necessary (to notice an upgrade, at least) what are my most economical options? I'm on a super limited budget here.

Thanks for any assistance, and sorry if this kind of stuff gets asked all the time.

Nov 3, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #2 of 9
Well, I'll get my MS-1s and compare them using my LDM+ and going direct to the source in a couple of weeks...if that helps
tongue.gif

Nov 3, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by m3ta1head
Well, I'll get my MS-1s and compare them using my LDM+ and going direct to the source in a couple of weeks...if that helps
tongue.gif

LDM+?

I don't need like, intensive testing, just general opinions.

Nov 3, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 9
the MS1 don't need an amp to sound good. The amp is optional if you are on a budget. Do a search in the headphone forum on MS1 and you will be able to verify this.

Nov 3, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 9
Oh **** sorry, am I in the wrong place?

Nov 3, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 9
kind of. You should be looking in the Category equipment. All kind of threads on the MS1.

Nov 4, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #7 of 9
The cool thing about Grados (and Alessandros since they're Grados) is that they don't require an amp to sound really good, but they sound incredible when amped.

For example, my SR225 sounded great unamped when I first got it, but my face looked similar to this when I got my amp/dac setup running:
eggosmile.gif

Nov 21, 2006 at 11:04 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyKarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cool thing about Grados (and Alessandros since they're Grados) is that they don't require an amp to sound really good, but they sound incredible when amped.

I second this. Grados sounds great even straight out of an iPod, but add a really nice amp and they sound REALLY great.

Nov 22, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #9 of 9
LuckyKarma says it all. A Grado headphone sounds great. An amped Grado headphone sounds excellent. Same goes for the Allesandro cans...

Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back