Alesis iO/2 Express
Oct 16, 2011 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

I<3SQ

100+ Head-Fier
I'm researching my next PC audio setup and pretty much have it all figured out now, aside from something to pick up the low end (40Hz and lower).

So far, this is what i'm going with

Yamaha HS50M monitors

Alesis iO/2 Express USB audio interface w/balanced outputs

Not yet settled on what balanced TRS cables i'm going with but strongly considering these from Monoprice

So my question is this, I notice there is a gain or volume knob for the headphone jack, does that mean this unit also acts as a headphone amp as well? One thing that irks me about that interface is the plastic TRS output connectors in the back, it baffles me because they use metal one's for the 6 other 1/4" jacks on the top. But no worries, I'll likely end up opening it up and replacing the TRS jacks in the back with some Neutric NYS230's. Any other recommendations on TRS cables? I'd like to keep the cost below $20ea as I don't need studiophile grade stuff here, this setup is not for recording/mixing or making music, it's just for music playback.

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 4
Yes, it acts as a headphone amp and it can drive almost any headphone without any problem.

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
Yes, it acts as a headphone amp and it can drive almost any headphone without any problem.

Sweet. Thanks for clearing that up. I wish the interface was a bit smaller, more understated, black, but it is very affordable and seems to have some pretty nice features given it's price point of $99.

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 4
Yeah, it's not a bad audio interface for its price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back