Alcohol and music?
Dec 31, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 9
A beer or two is fine,any more and I agree with Nordkapp.
Other things can def enhance audio tho....:L3000:

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 9
Can’t say I have seen any study on this. Just have to say for me the more I have the louder it gets. That being said ......

Dec 31, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 9
Liquor does, but not nearly as much as legal psychedelics (such as peyote). I imagine all drugs adjust sensitivites, perhaps perception of spacetime, etc. :p

Jan 1, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #7 of 9
Do you find your listening experience enhanced by a cocktail/beer or does it interfere?

Usually when I have alcohol I have a lot of people around, we're using patio speakers or BT speakers, and laughter gets so loud I can't hear the music. Not to mention I'm paying attention to whatever stupid thing happened and I'm not sitting between two speakers at ear level. Or there's a quartet playing in the room, I'm not sitting right in front of them either, and I'm trying to pay attention to somebody else - like some diplomat or my date.

Other times I have alcohol with music there's a stadium and acoustics really suck, and I'm trying to not get caught in the moshpit that gets the alcohol spilled everywhere. Other times there's a band on stage and acoustics might be somewhat better they don't allow alcohol beyond the concessionaire area.

And then on the rare instance I'm having cocktails with music I'm around people who trip on ecstasy and bass, and basically I'm more concerned about making sure my drunk friends or girlfriends don't get assaulted somewhere because the males by default are presumed to be the designated drivers, and it's usually either the guy who can borrow his mom's van or me driving his van because he was DD last time.

I tried having beer while listening at home, but I have too much condensation on the bottles my attention is to not get that moisture anywhere near my system instead of the music.

Basically I can't recall an instance where alcohol really let me enjoy music as an audiophile in the usual sense rather than as a fan yelling "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! ONE MORE SONG! ONE MORE SONG! ONE MORE SONG! HEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

Jan 2, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 9
Alcohol relaxes the muscles around the tympanic membrane which is why it becomes harder to judge volume. Drunk bands turn up and loose their dynamics. People start talking louder and louder till every one is yelling to hear each other. I never noticed it as much but now being sober it is always an interesting if not annoying process to witness... Seems there is a consensus regarding this. its like fudge. Great for the first few bites but then diminishing returns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back