Alclair Reference Master Custom IEM Review
Aug 22, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #16 of 100
Hey Joe,

Great review! I am in the process of looking for IEM, since I am a soundguy/monitor engineer for a living. I basically narrowed it down to either Livewires or Alclair. There are plus and minuses for both as far as I can tell from the reviews. I was curious if you had any pictures with them in your ears. I know its pretty standard what they will look like in , but my main thing is how the cord looks and feels while in. Also, I would prob just be springing for the dual of either. Just more cost effective.Thanks.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #17 of 100
Marc from Alclair is no longer making manufacturing Livewires, so I am not sure how the service will be.  What sound signature are you looking for, and are you using any in-ear products currently?

Nov 7, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #18 of 100
HI,

Great review.  Have a question - am thinking of upfrading my highly analytical Fischer Audio DBA-02 (mk2) to the Alclair Reference.  I will use a JDS Labs O2 with both.  Am looking for the right blend of detail and musicality which I don't really get with the DBA-02, though it does reveal a lot of detail which I like.  Would be interested in your views on the DBA-O2 and whether you recommend the Reference.  Or any other in sub $400 range!

Many thanks

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #19 of 100
Quote:
HI,

Great review.  Have a question - am thinking of upfrading my highly analytical Fischer Audio DBA-02 (mk2) to the Alclair Reference.  I will use a JDS Labs O2 with both.  Am looking for the right blend of detail and musicality which I don't really get with the DBA-02, though it does reveal a lot of detail which I like.  Would be interested in your views on the DBA-O2 and whether you recommend the Reference.  Or any other in sub $400 range!

Many thanks

The Reference is warmer and won't be as analytical, although I do think the Reference has a better blend of musicality and detail than the DBA-02.  While the sound will be different with a more robust and powerful sound that is still clean and clear, most people will find the step up to be a significant one.

As far as the $400 and below CIEMs, I don't have much experience, however joker has both the Reference, 1964 V3, and Clear Tunes CTM-200, so you may want to ask him his take on your question as well.  

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #20 of 100
Great review! Please review 1964 V3 as well. I'm trying to decide between those 2.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #21 of 100
Alright. I've been looking into what to get for awhile, and I've decided these will be it! It'll be my first customs, and I haven't been this excited in a long time. The waiting part won't be fun though :T

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #22 of 100
Quote:
Great review! Please review 1964 V3 as well. I'm trying to decide between those 2.

I believe joker compared the two.

Quote:
Alright. I've been looking into what to get for awhile, and I've decided these will be it! It'll be my first customs, and I haven't been this excited in a long time. The waiting part won't be fun though :T

Congrats!  Let us know what you think when you have had a bit of time with them.

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #25 of 100
Alright! My Alclairs arrived today. Had to pay a nasty 57 dollar fee upon arrival, but it was worth it. First impression of the sound is good, but I don't have much to say since I've had'em for less than a day now. I do like what I'm hearing though! The build quality is also great. Feels sturdy and well built. These being my first customs, it took me some time to get these on right, heh.

I do have a minor complaint about the custom art work though. It looks a bit more pixel-y than I would've liked. I provided them with a fairly large image with more than enough ppi, but it ended up looking a bit blurry. It's not a big deal. Other than that, I got no complaints.

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #27 of 100
Is there anyone out there from the UK who has bought these and was asked to pay import tax etc?
If so, may i ask how much it cost, please?
Also, any advise on how best to pack the ear impressions for posting?
  Plus, could someone point me in the direction of a decent, but value, international courier service.

Ta in advance, Marky.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #28 of 100
Quote:
Is there anyone out there from the UK who has bought these and was asked to pay import tax etc?
If so, may i ask how much it cost, please?
Also, any advise on how best to pack the ear impressions for posting?
  Plus, could someone point me in the direction of a decent, but value, international courier service.

Ta in advance, Marky.

I am not sure about the UK customs, but you can check the Dream Earz thread as it has been discussed in there.  

If you pack the impressions in a small cardboard box and put that in a bubble mailer you should be fine.  I actually send mine in a ziplock bag that I overfill with air and then put in a bubble mailer and I haven't had any issues.

What do you need the international courier service for?  Can't you just send them via Royal Mail?

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #29 of 100
Quote:

I am not sure about the UK customs, but you can check the Dream Earz thread as it has been discussed in there.  

If you pack the impressions in a small cardboard box and put that in a bubble mailer you should be fine.  I actually send mine in a ziplock bag that I overfill with air and then put in a bubble mailer and I haven't had any issues.

What do you need the international courier service for?  Can't you just send them via Royal Mail?

Cheers for all the advice A.J. You're a star.

I've had a peek at the Dream earz thread. Geez, going by that, i reckon i could be charged around £60 on top. They'd better be worth it. Haha!! :)

Cool. I'm sure i've got some "unpopped" bubble wrap/mailer knocking around somewhere.

As for the courier, i was just pondering whether there is a quicker/cheaper/more reliable way of sending the impressions. I can always fall back on the Royal Mail, if i can't find a company that would be better.

I'm off to get my impressions doen a Friday afternoon. (£29 pounds from Specsavers, if anyone's interested) Well, that's if i can Otex any wax out of my lug holes first. :)

Once again, thanks for the advice, dude.

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #30 of 100
Quote:
Cheers for all the advice A.J. You're a star.

I've had a peek at the Dream earz thread. Geez, going by that, i reckon i could be charged around £60 on top. They'd better be worth it. Haha!! :)

Cool. I'm sure i've got some "unpopped" bubble wrap/mailer knocking around somewhere.

As for the courier, i was just pondering whether there is a quicker/cheaper/more reliable way of sending the impressions. I can always fall back on the Royal Mail, if i can't find a company that would be better.

I'm off to get my impressions doen a Friday afternoon. (£29 pounds from Specsavers, if anyone's interested) Well, that's if i can Otex any wax out of my lug holes first. :)

Once again, thanks for the advice, dude.

If you do send them by Royal Mail I'd use ISF for about £12-14.00  Gives you a tracking number.  Last time I sent something first class took about a fortnight to get to Sweden instead of Two-Three days by isf!  I also won largest box for a set of impressions as I'd double boxed them just to be on the safe side :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back