Alclair Reference Master Custom IEM Review
Apr 15, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #67 of 100
Quote:
I have Alclairs four months now and I've discovered in last few days that sound from right shell is louder then from left one. Are my CIEMs faulty?

Quote:
Clean the bores and if clean manipulate the fit (tip) to see if your ear is partially blocking a bore. It's pretty common. Also check your connections and try another source.

There are several other things that may be an issue:
- As mentioned by lithrai, there could be wax in the bore.  If you are in a humid climate or sweat a lot while wearing them, that could be an issue.  Did cleaning them help?  Also, using a hearing aid dryer or desiccant pack could help.  
- Your hearing...if you get sinus congestion, that could change your hearing, possibly with only one ear.
- Something is wrong with the cable.  Make sure the cable, if detachable, is plugged in properly.  You can also disconnect and reconnect in case corrosion has built up on the shell pins.
- Driver issue, but typically the seem to go out sooner rather than later, and if it is just an imbalance, it is likely something else.

If there is anything wrong with them, Marc is a great guy and I am sure he will take care of manufacturing defects, if any.

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #68 of 100
I must have this problem from the very first day I have them. I just did not realise it. Last week I tried ODAC/O2 and did balance test. Right side is louder then left. It's not big difference but imbalance is definetely there. Tried others IEMs I own and I did not hear any imbalance like with Alclairs. Bores are clean and I don't have problem with fit. I think drivers are not balanced right.

Apr 18, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #69 of 100
Hi Joe,

I've been lurking for a while on Head-Fi (and my wallet has started to hurt!)...

Been on the lookout for an affordable CIEM - currently using a pair of Shure SE535s with a C&C BH. I used to own a Westone UM3X too. While these are all competent universals in their own right, I really do feel like jumping ship and getting a pair of customs. I've been trawling through your immaculate reviews, and these seem to be the most affordable (and they are going for 399USD right now!)..

Just wondering, do you think it will be a step up from the 535s and/or the UM3X?

I mainly use a rig like this:
Rockboxed 7G iPod Classic -> AudioMinor Copper LOD -> C&C BH -> Shure SE535s

Oh and I'm from Singapore so I got the Stage 93 copper cables at its introductory price.

Thanks!

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #70 of 100
 had the SE535, sold them and got these!

you will not miss the SE535, these are a step up in terms of neutral sound, better extended highs and great detail whilst retaining a fairly lush/warm presentation

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #72 of 100
Quote:
Hi Joe,

I've been lurking for a while on Head-Fi (and my wallet has started to hurt!)...

Been on the lookout for an affordable CIEM - currently using a pair of Shure SE535s with a C&C BH. I used to own a Westone UM3X too. While these are all competent universals in their own right, I really do feel like jumping ship and getting a pair of customs. I've been trawling through your immaculate reviews, and these seem to be the most affordable (and they are going for 399USD right now!)..

Just wondering, do you think it will be a step up from the 535s and/or the UM3X?

I mainly use a rig like this:
Rockboxed 7G iPod Classic -> AudioMinor Copper LOD -> C&C BH -> Shure SE535s

Oh and I'm from Singapore so I got the Stage 93 copper cables at its introductory price.

Thanks!

The Reference does represent a solid value, but the sound signature is quite different than the SE535.  Your source should work well with the Reference.

Quote:
 had the SE535, sold them and got these!

you will not miss the SE535, these are a step up in terms of neutral sound, better extended highs and great detail whilst retaining a fairly lush/warm presentation

Thanks for sharing!

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #73 of 100
[UPDATE - August 2014]

Well It's been over 7 months since I posted this and in that time I've ripped over 1300 CDs to FLAC (though I'm still cleaning up tags, ugh!). I've been listening to all sorts of things since then and my admiration for these Alclair Reference IEMs has only grown. The sound is just fantastic.

Side Note:
This is not the forum for this discussion, but it's relevant to my choice to upgrade. First I should say that I don't think I can really hear the difference between FLAC and 320 MP3 of the same CD source. I did some double-blind testing with the help of some friends and I can't reliably hear the difference between samples until the sample gets to something lower than a 250 mbps MP3. That said, I did back the PONO on Kickstarter because I want to believe that a source with a higher bitrate than CD will yield a difference I can hear. Sadly I've since seen some articles which seem to call into question a lot of the hype over high-resolution audio (http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=3377).  

These articles seem to indicate that people aren't really able to hear improved sound from sources with higher bit rates than the PCM standard. Not sure if that's true, but I could believe it based on my own amateur testing. That said, higher bit rates do appear to improve the signal to noise ratio (SNR), which may allow you to hear a truer representation of the audio signal. Assuming this last bit is true, I'm not sure this means that I will be able to hear the difference. Especially since I can't seem to hear the difference between 320 MP3s and FLAC.

In any case, I still love my Alclairs and I highly recommend them to anyone thinking about IEMs.

THANKS!
Thanks so much for doing this review. I know it's been up a while, but I just pulled the trigger and ordered mine in November 2013. I LOVE THEM!

THE MODEL
I bought the "Reference Custom In-ear Monitor" for $503. This included a spare cable, a few cleaning accessories, and shipping.

THE OLD EARBUDS
I replaced some Sennheiser CX680i earbuds which I bought for their apparent durability more than their sound quality. The audio was just ok and they did last longer than some other earbuds, but not by much.

THE PRICE
When the cable on my Sennheiser earbuds started to go, I decided to look at the custom IEM option again. When I had looked at custom IEMs in the past, the prices seemed to start at around $1,000 so I was very excited to see that these Alclairs were in my price range (I didn't want to spend more than $500). 

YOUR REVIEW
Your review convinced me to give it a chance and boy am I glad I did. I was just looking for in-ear listening with replaceable cables. Having never owned a pair of custom IEMs, I wasn't sure what to expect. But your review put me at ease. Thanks for that!

SOUND QUALITY
These have vastly improved my in-ear listening experience. I've worn earbuds of one sort or another for over 15 years now. I ride the train to work every day and I work in a noisy office so I wear them nearly all day every day. I expected that the Alclairs would block a lot of the environmental noise and they do. I was skeptical that I would be able to discern a big difference in the quality of sound production (I don't consider myself an audiophile at all) but was hopeful after reading your review. My first reaction was one of shock. I've read so many reviews that talk about equipment that drives you to "re-discover your music collection" and I've bought some of those items, but this is the first time where I can honestly say I am actively pulling out things to listen to just because I want to see how it sounds on these IEMs.

For the record, I listen to a wide range of music: Little Green Cars, David Bowie. Elbow, Bright Eyes, Mahler, Beatles, Buena Vista Social Club, Rasputina, Mozart, Eminem, MC 900 Ft Jesus, Hearts of Space programs, Thelonious Monk, Cafe Del Mar collections, Bon Iver, C418 just to mention a few. I am currently using a SANSA Clip with MP3s that range from 192 to 320 Kbps bitrate. All of these sound amazing on these Alclair IEMs. Of course, now I feel compelled to go ahead and re-rip all my CDs as FLAC. :) 

COST SAVINGS
Lastly, the cost-savings is significant. In the last few years I typically spent $100 on each pair of earbuds and I broke the cable at a rate of about 1 pair per year.
The Alclair cable can be replaced and it only costs $30. Assuming the Alclair cable has the same life span as my old earbuds, I will spend $30/year on replacement cables. 
That means I will save ~$70 per year, which means these IEMs from Alclair pay for themselves in 7 years (less if the cables last longer which is possible since they seem very sturdy).

AWESOME!

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #74 of 100
  THANKS!
Thanks so much for doing this review. I know it's been up a while, but I just pulled the trigger and ordered mine in November 2013. I LOVE THEM!

THE MODEL
I bought the "Reference Custom In-ear Monitor" for $503. This included a spare cable, a few cleaning accessories, and shipping.

THE OLD EARBUDS
I replaced some Sennheiser CX680i earbuds which I bought for their apparent durability more than their sound quality. The audio was just ok and they did last longer than some other earbuds, but not by much.

THE PRICE
When the cable on my Sennheiser earbuds started to go, I decided to look at the custom IEM option again. When I had look at custom IEMs in the past, the prices seemed to start at around $1,000 so I was very excited to see that these Alclairs were in my price range (I didn't want to spend more than $500). 

YOUR REVIEW
Your review convinced me to give it a chance and boy am I glad I did. I was just looking for in-ear listening with replaceable cables. Having never owned a pair of custom IEMs, I wasn't sure what to expect. But your review put me at ease. Thanks for that!

SOUND QUALITY
These have vastly improved my in-ear listening experience. I've worn earbuds of one sort or another for over 15 years now. I ride the train to work every day and I work in a noisy office so I wear them nearly all day every day. I expected that the Alclairs would block a lot of the environmental noise and they do. I was skeptical that I would be able to discern a big difference in the quality of sound production (I don't consider myself an audiophile at all) but was hopeful after reading your review. My first reaction was one of shock. I've read so many reviews that talk about equipment that drives you to "re-discover your music collection" and I've bought some of those items, but this is the first time where I can honestly say I am actively pulling out things to listen to just because I want to see how it sounds on these IEMs.

For the record, I listen to a wide range of music: Little Green Cars, David Bowie. Elbow, Bright Eyes, Mahler, Beatles, Buena Vista Social Club, Rasputina, Mozart, Eminem, MC 900 Ft Jesus, Hearts of Space programs, Thelonious Monk, Cafe Del Mar collections, Bon Iver, C418 just to mention a few. I am currently using a SANSA Clip with MP3s that range from 192 to 320 Kbps bitrate. All of these sound amazing on these Alclair IEMs. Of course, now I feel compelled to go ahead and re-rip all my CDs as FLAC. :) 

COST SAVINGS
Lastly, the cost-savings is significant. In the last few years I typically spent $100 on each pair of earbuds and I broke the cable at a rate of about 1 pair per year.
The Alclair cable can be replaced and it only costs $30. Assuming the Alclair cable has the same life span as my old earbuds, I will spend $30/year on replacement cables. 
That means I will save ~$70 per year, which means these IEMs from Alclair pay for themselves in 7 years (less if the cables last longer which is possible since they seem very sturdy).

AWESOME!

Welcome to the Alclair family and I am glad to hear you are enjoying your big step up!  Keep us updated once you get your music in FLAC :wink:

Jul 5, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #75 of 100
Has anybody ordered the new RSM reference quads?  It looks like mine may be ready next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back