Alclair 'Reference' In-Ear Monitor Review
Mar 27, 2015 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

NotaLefty

100+ Head-Fier
This is my very first review, and I am only doing so because I am extremely impressed with this small company, Alclair, and believe that more people should be aware of the fantastic work they’re doing. The custom in-ear monitors are the Reference model, starting at $399. They are my first customs, so I only have universals to compare them to.

I'll start with the experience of buying these. I worked with Marc, the owner of Alclair, to get these made for me. I was under somewhat of a time crunch to get them, and they met my needs. I live somewhat locally to their Minnesota location, so I drove over to listen to their universal versions of the custom lineup. I was expecting to be buying the RSM, but the Reference was the best sounding to my ear (which may have been caused by a fit issue). The buying experience was absolutely stellar. Top notch. After deciding on the Reference model, I was presented with a physical version of all the possibilities in terms of color, wood grain, glitter, etc. There was never any pressure, Marc was patient while I decided on what exactly I wanted. They then did free ear-impressions, saving me a good chunk of cash and trip to an audiologist. Since I needed them in a pretty unrealistic time (2-3 days), he offered to loan me their universal model, the Curve while I was on my trip.

I have owned a few entry-level IEM’s, but most notably the Shure SE215. I found them rather uncomfortable, but the sound was pretty good for the price of $130 I bought them at. The Curve’s were supremely comfortable. I wore them for hours at a time without a bit of discomfort, something that cannot be said for the Shure’s. As for the sound, the Curve’s were by far the best I have heard in an IEM. Open, clean, well extended - at this point, I was thinking about cancelling the order for the Reference’s and just sticking with the Curve’s. But let me say, I am so glad that I didn’t.

The Reference pair that I have looks absolutely amazing in person. I am very happy with how they turned out. The pictures from my cellphone below do them no justice. When I first put them in my ears and started listening, I thought “Okay, these sound pretty good, but I’m not quite sure what all the hype is about”. Since I had spent a large amount of time with the Curve’s and had grown fairly accustomed to them, I listened to them again in an A/B test. Holy crap, the difference was astonishing. The Curve’s instantly sounded like something you’d expect to get free with your smartphone. They sounded slow, muddy, grainy, uninvolving, and had an obvious “in your head” feeling.  

The Reference’s have possibly a slight ‘warm’ tone to them, and are very musical headphones whilst still being supremely accurate. They sound just as capable (if not more so) than any full-sized headphones I’ve heard, and I’ve heard most of them. The sound is very fast, but what surprises me most is the separation and imaging. These accomplish what I previously thought was a trait exclusive to full-sized headphones.

I have only two minor complaints, although I wouldn’t really classify them as such. Firstly, the bass extension is average, and I wish it would have slightly more presence. Secondly, everything sounds a bit “rounded”. I prefer a crisper, cleaner sound, with a stronger attack. Note - for the price, these two complaints just aren’t fair. I have heard nothing better at this price point, in full-sized headphones or otherwise.

Well, this is concluding my very first review. It is still very early in the day, so you’ll have to excuse me if something I wrote isn’t clear or needs more clarification. Feel free to ask any questions, and I will answer them to the best of my ability. In summary, my buying experience with Alclair was nothing but stellar, and I am extremely impressed with the fidelity of their products. I wholeheartedly recommend them, which is why I chose to write this review!

Some pictures for your enjoyment. 

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #3 of 5
Wow, these sound so tempting. I'll have to check out the lineup when the new 8 drivers come out.

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 5
This just out...

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/breaking-mold-survey-entry-level-custom-ear-monitors-page-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back