ALC892 or Xonar DGX for Sennheiser PC320
Oct 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ayrthon

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

First post here. And as you can see from my title, i'm been trying to figure out what to do. So here is my situation.

- I need a gaming headset.
- I am using my onboard Realtek ALC892 codec.
- I went for the Sennheiser PC320 and not the PC360 because of my budget.
- Now I am thinking about getting the Asus Xonar DGX because I feel like the volume of my headset is to low and that i'm not getting the full potential of a Sennheiser headset.

My question is: "Am I right?" will the Xonar improve the overall performance of my PC320?

I know that an dedicated soundcard will always be better than a onboard. Every audiophile would respond with 'duh' to that question.

I should also mention that I am willing to upgrade my headset in the future with maybe the PC360.

Geez... It started with 'just looking for a gaming headset' and it turned into having to test 5 different headsets and headphones and not being very happy with them. I figured out that I might be an audiophile.

Anyways! I hope you guys can help me! Glad to be part of this forum and I hope to be of any use in the near future.

Oct 1, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 7
It is hard to say if it is worth it to you, but I think it is. Also, don't you want virtual surround?

Oct 1, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 7
It is hard to say if it is worth it to you, but I think it is. Also, don't you want virtual surround?

Thanks so much for your reply.

You think my PC320 can't get any better with a dedicated soundcard?

And yes I have surround right now using razer software. It is ok good but I still feel these cans can do better... I was hoping anybody actually did this already and are able to notify me with their experience

Oct 1, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 7
  First post here. And as you can see from my title, I'm been trying to figure out what to do. So here is my situation.
- I need a gaming headset.
- I am using my on-board Realtek ALC892 codec.
- I went for the Sennheiser PC320 and not the PC360 because of my budget.
- Now I am thinking about getting the Asus Xonar DGX because I feel like the volume of my headset is to low and that I'm not getting the full potential of a Sennheiser headset.
My question is: "Am I right?" will the Xonar improve the overall performance of my PC320?
I know that an dedicated sound card will always be better than a on-board. Every audiophile would respond with 'duh' to that question.
I should also mention that I am willing to upgrade my headset in the future with maybe the PC360.
Geez... It started with 'just looking for a gaming headset' and it turned into having to test 5 different headsets and headphones and not being very happy with them. I figured out that I might be an audiophile.
Anyways! I hope you guys can help me! Glad to be part of this forum and I hope to be of any use in the near future.

What is the make and model of your motherboard?
Go to the Realtek website and try to download the latest Realtek audio drivers.
Your Sennheiser PC320 headphones are only 32-Ohm, really weird that they can't get loud with on-board audio.
Might be the audio drivers are not loaded correctly or there is a volume control somewhere set too low.

I would say to get the Asus Xonar DGX (PCI-E) sound card, at Newegg it's $26.99 and there is a $10 mail in rebate for October.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132052
The DGX can drive headphones up to 150-Ohm.
Just remember to disable on-board audio, when you install any add-on sound card.

Oct 1, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks PurpleAngle!

I downloaded the latest drivers. Everything is set to Highest setting.

I think I will leave it for now. I will upgrade to some decent cans.

I think it hard to find a gaming headset with a very deep bass and clear sound right?

Does anyone know a set?

Oct 1, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks PurpleAngle!
I downloaded the latest drivers. Everything is set to Highest setting.
I think I will leave it for now. I will upgrade to some decent cans.
I think it hard to find a gaming headset with a very deep bass and clear sound right?
Does anyone know a set?

I believe most people on Head-fi would recommend a good stereo headphone (over a "gaming" headset) with a separate device that process surround sound (like a sound card).

Senneheiser HD558, $131.26 (Amazon), then add any add-on mic you like.
Sennheiser PC360, $170 (Amazon), should have the same driver as the Senn HD518/HD558/HD598 and comes with a built in mic.
Get the Xonar DGX (Newegg), comes with a basic head amp and Dolby Headphone Surround Sound.

Oct 2, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #7 of 7
I definitely believe it would be worthwhile to get a sound card, but I don't know how good (bad) your onboard sound is. It can range from decent to tear-inducing bad (like my onboard sound is), and to me, a simple sound card would make a big difference with any decent headphone.

I guess you have looked at MLE's gaming thread already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back