Albuquerque April 2016 meet impressions
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #16 of 20
BTW,
More details on the Stax setup.
The phones were Stax SR-007 MK1, serial no. 70XXX

The DIY amp is a modification of the Stax SRX DIY circuit published in the 1970s, which can be found on the internet.  Incidentally, the SRX circuit topology is the backbone of the legendary state of the art Stax T2 amp that sent Stax into bankruptcy in the mid-1990s.  This is a cascode cross-coupled differential input stage using 12AT7 tubes, capacitor coupled to a differential output stage which is D/C coupled to the headphones.  The mod consists of cascoded MOSFET current sources on the input and output differential tails, cascoded MOSFET current loads on the output stage, with 6SN7GTA output tubes in place of the 6CG7/6FQ7 tubes in the original circuit.  It also has a simple +/- 325 volt shunt regulated power supply.  I named my version the SRX Plus, to honor the designers of the original circuit, and to indicate that my modifications were basically to optimize its overall function.  

In case anyone is interested, full details of the amp are in the Nov and Dec 2015 issues of AudioXpress magazine, and also on the other website in the DIY section in the SRX revisited thread.

May 1, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #17 of 20
I had a great time at the meet yesterday, lots of friendly people there with great gear. I probably most enjoyed the Ether C and listening to the Stax with the custom made amp. It was great to know that there are a lot of local head-fi people. The setup from Mojo Audio was really nice, I could definitely hear a difference with their latest power supply! It was nice to meet everyone, there was a bigger turnout than I was expecting. We should definitely do something like this again sometime.

May 1, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #18 of 20
A very enjoyable day but frustrating in that I didn't get to listen to half of the things there, as there was way more gear than I was expecting! Special thanks to Benjamin Zwickel from Mojo Audio for showing his amazing prototypes. At one point they did a 3-way cable shootout with 3 sets of HD-800s! Thanks to JimL11's for showing his beautiful hand-built amp for his Stax electrostats. I loved the sound of the SR-007s but I didn't get nearly enough listening time. Another on my bucket list was the Koss ESP-950 which I enjoyed. My favorites of the new 'phones I heard was the Audio Zenith PMx2 and the Beyerdynamic T-1. The Ether-C was also a favorite of pretty much everyone who heard them. CSdread's Project Starlight impressed me much and I may take up the challenge and get the Project Polaris to compare next time.

Thanks to everyone for a great first meet for our area and especially Allanmarcus for setting it all up.

Fostex Shoot-Out

Mojo Audio Station

Jan 2, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #19 of 20
I started a New Mexico Head-Fi'ers group. Many of you may have received an invitation from me. Please join, and when we have another meet, I'll notify the group.

If you didn't receive an invitation, you can join here:
http://www.head-fi.org/groups/show/55/new-mexico-head-fi-ers

pass it on.

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #20 of 20
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back