Albums you want remastered...
Nov 7, 2003 at 7:46 PM Post #46 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by SumB
The original releases on cd were mastered in analog, that is an irrefutable fact.

from what i know, cds cannot be mastered in analog. an album can be recorded and mixed in analog, but any cd has to be mastered digitally. ask yourself this: at what stage does the recording go from analog to digital, as the cd is obviously a digital copy.

most cds released up to the mid-90's had AAD written on the back, and that's what it stands for: recorded in analog, mixed in analog, mastered in digital. no cd can be AAA, as that is reserved for vinyl.

cdnow (or what used to be cdnow) says that master of puppets was released on cd in 1990. it could have been _reissued_ since then, in 2001, but i would imagine that if they remastered, they would've announced it since it's obvious they're very into getting people to pay for their music.

why anybody would actually want to give them MORE money is beyond me though.

Nov 8, 2003 at 3:50 AM Post #47 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by SumB
The original releases on cd were mastered in analog, that is an irrefutable fact. Non audiophile studios use the same mastering methods for their cd and vinyl releases of the same album. Am I supposed to believe some recording engineer just decided to master these albums to digital without any sound tweaking whatsoever? Sorry, I'm not buying it. Jason Newstead's bass is prominent on this relase of AJFA, for one.

Also interesting in the liner notes of the new cd's you'll see the issue date of 2001+, and the originally released dates above or below it.

And sorry, the Killing Is My Business reissue is a slam dunk remaster. It's sold as such, acknowledged on the official Megadeth website as such, and boldly says so in the liner notes and back of the jewel case. It's also a 2002 release, which debunks your little theory.

Like grinch pointed out, if Metallica actually did do a remaster job on all their albums up to AJFA it would've had been announced in all the music publications to tout a jump in sales as all the idiot fans (me included) would go out and buy the reissues. This has not happened. Those releases that you talk about were done mostly out of to reissue a note regarding their fanclub...which they charge a fee for. None of Metallica's albums have been remastered on CD...NONE. I have a DCC pressing of RTL...it's brighter...that's about it.

By the way, i don't care about Megadeth...sorry
tongue.gif

Nov 8, 2003 at 6:51 PM Post #48 of 60
Grinch is right. I had intended to say "mixed" in place of "mastered" in regards to these new Metallica cd's... and I know better.
redface.gif
I apologize for potentially starting a heated argument with my mistake.

It remains to be seen however why they would to this? Why not recut and re-release what the label already had mixed in both formats?

Nov 8, 2003 at 6:56 PM Post #49 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Helloween

By the way, i don't care about Megadeth...sorry
tongue.gif

Too bad, missing some good music
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2003 at 7:53 PM Post #50 of 60
I just picked up Ozzy - Diary of a Madman.
It said on the outside that it had been 24 bit mastered.
What they didn't say was that it had been remixed. You only learn that upon either A) listening or B) reading the fine print on the back of the booklet.
confused.gif

If I had known they re-recorded the bass guitar and drum tracks I wouldn't have wasted my money. On most of the songs it sounds okay, but on You Can't Kill Rock and Roll the drums overpowers the vocals way too much. As soon as I find my cassette walkman, I'm gonna do a comparison. Just from memory, this song doesn't sound right.

Shouldn't they put a note on the outside of the CD to tell you they mukked up the sound and/or remixed the recording?

Nov 10, 2003 at 6:22 PM Post #51 of 60
Pantera -Vulgar Display of Power and Cowboys from hell

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2003 at 12:31 AM Post #53 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by scottder
Too bad, missing some good music
smily_headphones1.gif

Nah, i was just picking a fight with him, i do own a few cd's and LP's from the band. Rust in peace is quite a solid metal album.

Nov 11, 2003 at 12:33 AM Post #54 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
Shouldn't they put a note on the outside of the CD to tell you they mukked up the sound and/or remixed the recording?

When they re-recorded the tracks over, it was all over the news as the original bandmembers filed a lawsuit...guess you missed it.
frown.gif

Nov 11, 2003 at 3:38 AM Post #55 of 60
Quote:

Yeah, those Ozzy remasters seem to suck. I have the 20-bit masters (which might also be remasters), but the latest 24-bit ones I've read are bad. Plus, I accidentally ruined my 20-bit No More Tears, so I bought the new remaster, and the bass is fubar. There's way too much sloppy mid-bass and hardly any tight low bass (to my ears). Very annoying.
frown.gif

Nov 13, 2003 at 2:47 AM Post #57 of 60
I was lazy and did not read through this thread...so it this is a repeat I apologize...but well, EVERYTHING by the Doors. Seriously, their works must be the most horrid recordings of all time. NASTY NASTY NASTY.

Nov 13, 2003 at 10:52 PM Post #58 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by eyeteeth
the Cure catalog

AMEN!!!!! I get so frustrated listening to Disintegration. I like how in the liner notes they state "this album was mixed to be played loud - SO TURN IT UP!" I.e. the recording sucks

Nov 15, 2003 at 5:51 PM Post #60 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by pennylane
All the Beatles albums...

Ditto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back