Albums you regret buying
May 15, 2003 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 79

evil-zen

100+ Head-Fier
There are threads about albums that you bought and liked it. How about listing some that you bought recently but hated it? Reasons too.

For me:

1. Massive Attack vs Mad Professor - No Protection
Having owned all the proper albums of massive attack and liking them, I thought i might as well complete the collection. BUT i was wrong. it sounds all the same all the way. it was gimicky and boring. very little vocals, just weird mixing throughout.

May 15, 2003 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 79
yesterday i picked up a few albums, one of them being the new alkaline trio and that was a rather poor decision. i thought their last album wasn't too great, but this one certainly serpasses it in suckiness.

all my good indie bands are turning to **** and it's very depressing.

May 15, 2003 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 79
Hm, recently? Burt Bacharach and Elvis Costello's collaboration "Painted From Memory". Two big talents, one very dull album. What a disappointment.

May 15, 2003 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch

This I think is the blessing and curse of indie labels and artists. The blessing is that they are not forced to produce cd's that fit into the sterotypical molds as defined by the big record labels. The downside as you have pointed out is that their experimentation and pushing of the envelope can result in crap. I have been lucky the Texas Music Group label has many artists I enjoy and their recent work has been great.

I regret buying a very cheap Classical cd. The music was good just poorly recorded. Forget the label though.

May 15, 2003 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch

that's the usual natural progression of an indie band
wink.gif

the coasters I have had over the years are mostly the ones of good bands that tried to go crazy .... and did. in a bad way.
the pumpkins - adore, machina and radiohead - kid a come to mind.

May 15, 2003 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by veesmak
wink.gif

the coasters I have had over the years are mostly the ones of good bands that tried to go crazy .... and did. in a bad way.

i'm going to have to disagree heartily with you there, as i like both those albums and wouldn't really consider radiohead or smashing pumpkins an indie band.

there are still plenty of indie bands floating around that sound great, but since this explosion of crappy commercial emo (which i still feel is very different from the raw reality it once was) all the bands seem to be going towards this "taking back sunday" ******** that doesn't stand out from anything. listening to this latest alk3 album, i just can't believe what i'm hearing compared to their self-titled and *******it! releases. the getup kids are another failure. after so many great tracks, they tour with weezer and release a **** storm for a latest album. dashboard confessional gets a tour bus and suddenly he's every frathead's favorite player. i'm not a fan, but i've known people to complain about dave matthew band's latest releases as well, especially compared to their earlier work from the mid-to-late 90's.

it's really sad. people wonder where i get my opinion that commercial music is a virus. once bands get a little glory they seem to lose the guts that make independent music great: no overproduction, no marketing team, no executives screaming for a single or for the album to be finished, no ******** ticketmaster charges, no million dollar tour budget. oh well.. i guess as long as the music industry's big boys are around to sign the next latest and greatest, the kid around the block will be learning to play his guitar and trying to get that hendrix solo down.

i apologize to evil-zen for derailing this thread a bit, let's get back to listing more albums that suck.
wink.gif

May 15, 2003 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 79
Nobody's foolin' grinch. These guys suck now.

Alkaline Trio and the Get Up Kids used to be among my favorite bands, and in fact they still are if you pretend that Here To Infirmary and On A Wire never happened. Those two I'd have to say disappointed me more than any other albums. I had recently gotten into the bands and was eating up all of their old stuff then I picked the new ones up and....damn man, what happened?

Alk3's newest wasn't really so much a disappointment as it was an inevitable truth. I fully expected it to suck cow balls. Maybe I'll Catch Fire wasn't bad, just different, although they started to lose their edge a bit. Infirmary though...I don't think I've ever been so disappointed. I lost all hope for them then.

The problem with Alk3 now is that they don't sound different from anybody else and their tracks all sound the same and so totally BORING...going back from "We've Had Enough" off their newest to "Goodbye Forever" off their S/T it's mind boggling how much better and awesome they used to be. Saddening as well what they've become.

All my favorite bands are turning to ****, and it's times like these that I'm thankful grinch showed me the truth path: Modest Mouse
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2003 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 79
i bought an ep of yo la tengo's "nuclear war" (i think it is called) on vinyl, and just didn't get it. maybe i'll give another chance, but i sort of regret buying it, as i have heard they are a decent band and really wanted to like them.

May 15, 2003 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 79
White Stripes' White Blood Cells...it gets worse every time I listen to it.

This is one of those groups that I am supposed to like. It reminds me of when people told me that I was supposed to like Jethro Tull or The Violent Femmes. I hated them too.

mad.gif

May 15, 2003 at 11:57 PM Post #10 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by veesmak
wink.gif

kid-a is awesome dude. their best.

May 16, 2003 at 3:03 AM Post #11 of 79
the latest and really the only one that comes to mind right now is the latest godspeed you black emperor cd, I really like all of their previous stuff but this one just doesn't measure up in my opinion.

May 16, 2003 at 3:15 AM Post #12 of 79
yeah really, kid a is incredible.

i also really really love white blood cells, although i would never, under any shade of the imagination, recommend that album to a dave matthews fan. if you can swallow that garbage, white stripes can't possibly be for you.. especially their albums previous to elephant, very raw and underproduced (just how i like my shady bands).

p.s. modest mouse is the greatest band ever! (but don't even think of buying one of their albums if you like anything on commercial radio)

May 16, 2003 at 3:19 AM Post #13 of 79
Modest Mouse is a good band. I recorded a couple songs thay played live on the radio about 3 years ago. They were on the morning show at KNDD 107.7 Seattle and still sounded asleep. But the songs are still good.

May 16, 2003 at 4:28 AM Post #15 of 79
Carbon Leaf -- it's not so much that they suck (they pretty much don't), it's just that my tastes are changing, and I no longer listen to this style of music.

Also, Phish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back