Albums written lyrically as Stories
Dec 22, 2007 at 6:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Denver Max

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I thought you guys in here might be able to give me suggestions on other bands to check out, as you have done before. I have been really happy with all of the suggestions I have received.

I cannot say enough good things about David Bazan's lyrics when he was vocalist and frontman for Pedro the Lion. The albums Control and Winners Never Quit are two of my favorite albums. I like them especially because both tell a story lyrically from front to back of the album:

-Control is a story about a man who marries a woman for the wrong reasons, and ruins his life as well as the life of those around him because of his lack of moral values.

-Winners Never Quit is about a corrupt politician who is involved in a scam and is completely blind of how his actions affect the way that the God that he speaks of so much thinks of him, to the point that he would kill another family member if it was for what he saw to be the right reasons.

There are other story-based albums in my musical library, but these are by far my favorite. Bazan is quite satirical in how he presents Christianity, placing huge emphasis on the excess of self-righteousness that exists in the contemporary religion's community, and usually illustrating how close the characters were to the answers they were looking for, but also how much they missed the mark by.

So, anyone have a good album based on a story to share? I would love to check out more music like this...

Dec 22, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #5 of 45
Fancy that, I've always wondered what that phrase means.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have some CD ordering to do...

Dec 22, 2007 at 9:33 AM Post #7 of 45
I've always enjoyed "alices' restaurant"-Arlo Guthrie

concept.....song.

Dec 22, 2007 at 9:38 AM Post #8 of 45
An album this year, from a band called "Rock Plaza Central", called "we are not horses" is a concept album about a group of mechanical horses who are told they aren't real horses, and how they deal with it, I think?
I like it.

Dec 22, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #9 of 45
what about ziggy stardust, that's a wicked album, you know.......spiders from mars.

Dec 22, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #10 of 45
I can't praise Savatage's Wake of Magellan highly enough. Lyrical content, musicality, performance, production, I truly believe this album has it all.

However, my favorite album of all time, Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory, takes the cake.

Both fall in this category and, IMHO, are a must for anyone who looks like they might know someone who once met a metal-head.

Dec 22, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #11 of 45
ISIS's Oceanic roughly tells a story about a man who discovers his love is in an incestuous relationship with her brother, and he ultimately ends up drowning himself in desolation. Charming aint it?
tongue.gif

Dec 22, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #15 of 45
The aforementioned "Ziggy Stardust", "Operation Mindcrime", "The Wall", A Grand Don't Come For Free", plus

The Who - Tommy
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
The Kinks - Lola Versus Powerman And The Moneygoround
Styx - Kilroy Was Here
Nilsson - The Point!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back