Albums that tell a story/have a unifying theme across all tracks
Aug 10, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #31 of 62
What about the Electric Light Orchestra's Eldorado?
I've always liked Can't Get It Out of My Head but is the rest of the album worth picking up?

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #33 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the Electric Light Orchestra's Eldorado?
I've always liked Can't Get It Out of My Head but is the rest of the album worth picking up?

Yes, just yes. My favorite ELO album

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #34 of 62
Queen's Made In Heaven has a unifying theme.

Blue Öyster Cult's Imaginos is a concept album that tells a story. Each song is a chapter in the story and the chapters are presented out of order. You have to resequence the album if you want the story told in correct chapter order.

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #35 of 62
My favorite is The Microphones' series of three albums, It was hot, we stayed in the water, The Glow, pt. 2, and Mt. Eerie. They have some unifying themes lyrically, but sonically, they are one giant journey from beginning to end, feeding off of eachother and growing as they progress.

I have really gotten into Ziggy Stardust recently. Fantastic album.

A more recent favorite would be Drums Not Dead by Liars. Sort of out there, but a fantastic album. It is a conversation of sorts between two characters, Drum and Mt. Heart Attack.

Also, a fun album, but sort of nuts, and not all great by any means, 69 Love Songs by the Magnetic Fields is awesome, hilarious, and weird. It is, as the title suggests, a triple album of 23 songs per disc all discussing love. Haven't listened to it straight thru yet, though.

Also, pretty much every mountain goats album goes on a theme, though not always a story. Tallahassee, for example, is all songs about John Darnielle's relationship with his father in law. Doesn't sound compelling, but it is.

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #36 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, just yes. My favorite ELO album

Thanx for the reply. Will be getting that soon.

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #41 of 62
Google "concept album".

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #42 of 62
future sound of london - dead cities. you could actually place yourself into the decaying urban sprawl of london when hearing this.

biosphere - substrata. on the edge of the arctic circle, like.

Aug 14, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #43 of 62
queensryche_operation_mindcrime_front.jpg

Aug 14, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #44 of 62
^Adab, I can't see the picture you posted (Computer I'm on has parental control that's apparently blocking the host).

Dusty Chalk, I'm familiar with concept albums. I've created this thread to get some recommendations
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back