Albums that are physically/mentally/emotionally exhausting, yet highly recommended?
Nov 8, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #136 of 155

P
at Metheny Group - The Way Up

If your a fan of long instrumental songs and good production this is the album for you. Its absolutely magical.

I've listened to this thing 20+ times through and I hear new things every time. It would truly take a lifetime to fully absorb everything that is here.

Definately one of my all time favorites.

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #137 of 155
Many favorites have been mentioned here. I'll add:

How to Measure a Planet? and If_Then_Else - The Gathering
Choirs of the Eye and Coyote - Kayo Dot
Last Fair Deal Gone Down and Viva Emptiness - Katatonia
Dead as Dreams - Weakling
Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire and Demise by Emperor
Plastic Ono Band - Lennon
Electric Ladyland - Hendrix
Still Life - Opeth
I - Meshuggah
Francis the Mute - The Mars Volta
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
OK Computer - Radiohead

There's a ton of classical and opera I could list, but it would take too much time. Stuff like Don Giovanni and Les Troyens get me no matter how many times I hear it... Anyone here ever heard Der Ring des Nibelungen in a single sitting? I bet THAT would be exhausting... I recently discovered Messiaen and a lot of his stuff is really absorbing and intense; I especially liked From the Canyon to the Stars and Illuminations on the Beyond.

Nov 9, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #138 of 155
Please everyone do yourself a favor and check out one of my favorite artists "Angus and Julia Stone."

It's a brother and sister from here in Australia and they don't have the international recognition they deserve. Their newest album "Down The Way" is an absolutely beautiful record, very emotional. Check the track "The Devil's Tears" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YemhxC9OpSw) to get an idea of the album.

Nov 13, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #142 of 155
^ Beethoven can actually be a bit TOO exhausting for me. I think it's why I prefer Mozart overall. Mozart can be just as profound, but I think there's greater emotional balance.

Nov 13, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #143 of 155
Sorry if already mentioned, but I'd throw in these fairly recent albums:

The Antlers - Hospice (2009)
Antony and the Johnsons - I Am a Bird Now (2005) -- actually any Antony album...
The Faint - Danse Macabre (2001)
The Microphones - The Glow, Pt. 2 (2002)

Nov 14, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #146 of 155
The Who: Quadrophenia

It takes more than listening to an album to exhaust me, but Quadrophenia is emotionally involving and rewards repeated listening.  It seems to fit the mold of the suggestions I've seen so far.

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #148 of 155
Nov 16, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #149 of 155

Quote:
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Lao Che - Powstanie Warszawskie ("Warsaw Uprising" in english)

1+ Nine Inch Nails, greatness is all there is to be said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back