Albums that are physically/mentally/emotionally exhausting, yet highly recommended?
Jun 17, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #46 of 155
It's easy to recommend a lot of extreme metal since I can imagine that stuff is quite demanding and not easy to listen to if you're not used to that kind of music. So I won't! 

I CAN'T BELIEVE NOT A SINGLE PERSON IN THIS THREAD MENTIONED THIS ALBUM:

Utterly haunting, other worldly, strangely autistic and breathtaking. Headphone music! My favourite track is "Red Queen" although all tracks are utterly special in their own way. Give this album a chance on your best rig, go sit down comfortably, kill the lights and thank me afterwards. :)

Also, if you want stuff that will make you feel physically uneasy but is still very proficient, try Diagnose Lebensgefahr, Brighter Death Now, Anenzephalia, Genocide Organ, Diamanda Galas and (this one is amazing) Jarboe & Neurosis' "Within".

Jun 17, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #49 of 155
Porcupine Tree's "Fear of a blank planet" always makes me tired because of all that air drumming.

"In the court of the Crimson King" by King Crimson is beautiful and endlessly varied, but really hard to grasp musically.

Another one for me would be "Streetcleaner" by Godflesh. It's ugly, sharp and heavy, but also very addictive.

Jun 18, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #50 of 155

Quote:
Those are 3 great albums, too.  REALLY love all three.  Never thought I would see them listed together, though!

Yeah, they're not usually listed together, but they are great albums.

Quote:

mewithoutYou - Catch For Us The Foxes

Great pick, and one of my favorites. The lyrics cut right to the heart.

Here are a couple more:
Brand New - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Mogwai - Mr. Beast (listening to this album is like one giant deja-vu, and I can't really explain why)

Jun 19, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #55 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehabitat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

More fun than exhausting imo

You have quite some stamina 
wink_face.gif
. It is a fun album but for me it is also tiring in its sound. Play in when you are in a hurry...

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #60 of 155

Quote:
'Animals' is awesome, it only needs a good listen. 

Another truly great album. Dogs is one of their most brilliantly realised epic songs.  I loved it when Roger played it on his 'In the Flesh' tour.

moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png

^Some of this album is quite emotionally draining, and contains some of Roger's best work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back