Album vs singles
Feb 28, 2016 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bianchip37

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone.

Do you prefer buy sinle songs or album ?, for example you listen an album and on this album there are only 2 or 3 songs with you like, do you prefer buy single songs or album?

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 15
A bit of both. I like listening to a full album (listening to A Rush of Blood to the Head by Coldplay on vinyl right now) when I can, but singular songs are great when I don't have a lot of time. Often I'll listen to 2-4 songs from a section of an album if I don't have time for all of it.

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 15
Almost always full albums for me.  I much prefer hearing the songs in context of the entire album.  To me, listening to a single song is like reading a random chapter in a book.  I'm probably in the minority on this but that's just my listening preference. 

Mar 12, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 15
Hello everyone.

Do you prefer buy sinle songs or album ?, for example you listen an album and on this album there are only 2 or 3 songs with you like, do you prefer buy single songs or album?

Like.....what are you wondering?  From a money, economic standpoint?, From discovering music?

I'm sort of old school.  I always thought it best to fully embrace the entire album/release.   All of those songs are on there for a reason.  They are the best ones they created over the past couple years.  The radio plays are usually the most basic/catchy songs, not neccesarily the best songs.

Over the decades.....often times the cheesiest songs on the release are the popular top 40 ones.  Happens all the time.  Just off the top of my head I think of an artist like Bruce Hornsby epitomizes this.....  His pop songs are decent but really basic in song structure...which is fine.  But the "OTHER" songs on the releases often have so much more meaning and substance.  Don't get me wrong...his pop tunes have epic signifigance for people that remember that era and the memories they have attached to that music but I think most people have no idea  how accomplished a musician and how respected in jazz circles Bruce is.   Google him and realize what more he has offered to the music industry.   A TON more than a Billy Joel or Elton John.   A TON MORE!! Phenommenal musician....  so versatile..  SO....yes...to the original poster, ALWAYS download the entire release!
Sorry.....off my soapbox now.   hopefully the comments were taken well.

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 15
Okay....apology here.  Sorry if my post was not related to quality of music mindset as that is how I answered the post.  I may have offended some but I stand by the comments.  Just want to re-phrase or say that you may find some outstanding music if you dig a bit deeper beyond the top 40 catalog of music with artists......and some of it may take multiple listens and patience which doesn't exist for most anymore today.   This is living proof that the music from yesteryear was far superior (because of patience)  So what happens?   It stifles artist growth and they crank out basic 3-chord fluff catchy music that people can love right away.  This point is living proof that music of the 70's and 80's is better than music from today.  Seriously...would Pink Floyd's "The Wall" or The Who's "Qaudrophenia" be given a chance today?

Mar 18, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #8 of 15
  I almost always buy full albums, and almost always play on-the-fly playlists containing tracks from all sorts of albums.

Same here pretty much. I find that once I've listened to an album a few times, I like most of the songs because of their contribution to the album as a whole, and I like the first few favorites even more for the same reason.

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 15
  A bit of both. I like listening to a full album (listening to A Rush of Blood to the Head by Coldplay on vinyl right now) when I can, but singular songs are great when I don't have a lot of time. Often I'll listen to 2-4 songs from a section of an album if I don't have time for all of it.

Currently listening to Coldplays A Head Full Of Dreams album on vinyl....best band in the world IMO.

As for album vs singles - well it depends on the artist to me. If it's an artist I like then i'll always listen to their album. I only listen to single songs if it's an artist I'm not particularly fond of but maybe like individual songs off their albums.

Mar 19, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #10 of 15
  Currently listening to Coldplays A Head Full Of Dreams album on vinyl....best band in the world IMO.

As for album vs singles - well it depends on the artist to me. If it's an artist I like then i'll always listen to their album. I only listen to single songs if it's an artist I'm not particularly fond of but maybe like individual songs off their albums.

I haven't been terribly happy with the past two albums; I loved Mylo Xyloto, but Ghost Stories and AHFoD weren't really my style. I'll have to listen to them through again though I haven't in a while.

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #11 of 15
Today it’s a bargain.  I remember back in the 70’s the standard length of an album was 40 minutes versus 50-60 nowadays.
I think the shortest one in my collection was Montrose debut album. About 32 minutes.  (4) four minute songs per side.  But some good ones… “Bad Motor Scooter”  Hurt me!!!

Jul 4, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #13 of 15
I used to be all about the ALBUM when I was younger, but because of file sharing the artists profits have been diminished so they don't work as hard on the albums. 15 years ago albums had 20 tracks now you are lucky to get 10. Look at Adele's album 25 I actually went out and bought it, however I was disappointed in it as a whole.I would be a lot happier if I would have just bought the two songs I like. so Id  say I'm more for singles I can hear everything before I buy it anyway so why not save money and not pay for the throwaway tracks on an album

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #15 of 15
Well again...it's a different day and age..

In the 70's we feverishly waited for "the new album" to come out. Quadrophenia. The Wall, Physical Graffitti, Hemispheres, etc etc....back then it was all about the album.  The main releases and then the deeper cuts and many concept albums.

Nowadays...no such thing.  It's all about making money and ramming out individual releases.  Shamefully there are too many hands in the cookie jar today.  It destroys the quality of music being released and thats a fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back