Album similar to Opeth - Damnation?
May 22, 2008 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ex0du5

500+ Head-Fier
After I listened to this album a few months back, it quickly became my favorite album of all time. Just such a fantastic blending of all the instruments, very melodic stuff. I'm looking for another album with a similar soft jazz/rock/metal blend. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look?

May 22, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 10
I'd be interested too. I love Opeth's harder stuff, but I can listen to Damnation all the time. Through Grados it sounds fantastic!

May 22, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #3 of 10
Try 'Green Carnation - Acoustic Verses'. Excellent album.

May 22, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try 'Green Carnation - Acoustic Verses'. Excellent album.

Do you think it's similar because it's a metal band gone soft, or because the music is similar? I can't get a feel for it from Amazon's 30-second clips.

May 22, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bungle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think it's similar because it's a metal band gone soft, or because the music is similar? I can't get a feel for it from Amazon's 30-second clips.

Both I would say. The style and mood is similar in both albums.

May 23, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Floodedstatue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fellow Scandinavian band Winds has a simlar feel to Damnation:

WINDS music, discography, MP3, videos and reviews

Yeah I totally forgot about their existence, but the feel and tempo are bit faster. A large amount of Opoop/Akerfeldt music is influences from prog rock, so just listen to any prog rock band from scandanavia. There are a lot of music with this feel, but I think the special thing about Damnation is the emphasis on the Akerfeldt's acoustic playing, so if you are specifically looking for this, then it may be more difficult.

Just go to this link: insideout.de. Randomly click on any bands name, you're bound to find something good and related. You'll probably find Paatos to have the most similar feel.

May 24, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #9 of 10
Alright I'm going to check out your recommendations a little later tonight.

I've been listening to the newest Between the Buried And Me album (Colors)...it's awesome. While it is fairly hard most of the time, it has a really delightful Opeth-ish soft solo in the later half of Ants of the Sky.

May 24, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I totally forgot about their existence, but the feel and tempo are bit faster. A large amount of [size=x-large]Opoop/Akerfeldt[/size] music is influences from prog rock, so just listen to any prog rock band from scandanavia. There are a lot of music with this feel, but I think the special thing about Damnation is the emphasis on the Akerfeldt's acoustic playing, so if you are specifically looking for this, then it may be more difficult.

Heh, was that intentional?
wink.gif

I have not heard anything even close to Damnation in tone and atmosphere. I would love Mike to another one though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back