Album released on a single 1.44 floppy!
Oct 11, 2007 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Anarchy965

500+ Head-Fier
link

74 minutes of music supercompressed("GSM 6.10 WAV format, at various bitrates") to fit on a 1.44MB floppy.

I'm confused though:

"if you try to convert it into MP3 or another format, the timbre and structure will be drastically altered - a kind of radical 'copy-protection'!"

"It can be played on any media player, and requires no extra codecs to be installed."

I suppose if something can play WAV it can play any type of WAV?

By the way, I did the math:

74 minutes divide by 19 tracks = average of about 3.9 minutes per song

1.44MB divided by 19 tracks = average of about 77.6 KB per average 3.9 minute song

77.6 KB converts to about 620.9 kb per average 3.9 minute song!

At regular 192 kb/s mp3 that amount of space would of course only hold about 3 seconds worth of music!

Oct 11, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 18
What's a floppy and where can I find one?
tongue.gif

Is it like those coiled things I see come out of the bottom of phones I see on 15 year old movies?

Oct 11, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 18
New Order did the floppy disc thing years ago.

NewOrderBlueMonday.jpg

IF you want to fit a whole bunch of music on a floppy disc, use MIDI tbh.
wink.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 18
Oh incidently, CDs fit very neatly into oen of the old 5 inch floppy cases, and it looks cool as hell.

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #5 of 18
Ummm... did you guys listen to their 'sample' track? Unless I'm missing something because I am using my notebook speakers right now, that sounds pretty terrible (IMHO).

Oct 11, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 18
strange, this happens when 100 GB Blue Ray disc is on the way...
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 18
Nice work.
But I guess it have very little practical use, since the bitrate is extremely low and sound quality just as horrible.

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 18
From a musical standpoint, I think I'll agree with the above posters in saying that as long as the compression screws with the audio, it's useless for listening to.

However, the technical aspects are moderately more exciting. If this similar compression algorithm could be applied to other file types, think about the enormous quantities of data that could be stored on relatively (now) small spaces or could be transmitted back and forth.

Oct 11, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 18
From what I understand they are not using some super new ultra compression technique that doesnt exist. They are just using compression artifacts as part of the music itself, and as part of the composition. So its more a gimmick, and not much use for anything else really.

Oct 11, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 18
Well that's pretty stupid...especially considering computers, most now adays anyhow, don't even have floppy drives....

Oct 11, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 18
Yeah, I know they are trying to make a point in using obsolete media to seem cool en all, but really, I dont see how many ppl have 1.44" floppy drives. And I definitely dont see why anyone would spend on one to listen to this either. They are better off just giving it in a "heavily compressed" zip file, maybe it will just disappear then

Oct 11, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I understand they are not using some super new ultra compression technique that doesnt exist. They are just using compression artifacts as part of the music itself, and as part of the composition. So its more a gimmick, and not much use for anything else really.

Yeah, I caught that on my second read. It does sound rather unnecessary.

Oct 11, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New Order did the floppy disc thing years ago.

IF you want to fit a whole bunch of music on a floppy disc, use MIDI tbh.
wink.gif

yeah, good memory, i have that in the attic, its a vinyl though, t'was never released on an actual floppy disc, just the sleeve imitating one.

i used to love their various sleeves, foil shrink wrapped, mininalist, unnamed etc

Oct 11, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #14 of 18
"floppy" disks were 8" and 5&1/4". They were made of floppy plastic. The 3.5" disk is a "flippy", the drive can read from both sides of the internal magnetic medium.

The "quick disk" was also a 3" disk, but incompatible with most drives (I think it was only used in Japan on Famicoms).

Oct 12, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #15 of 18
oh yeah...those things.
It appears that both my latest computer and laptop neglected to add these into to my chassis. "The times, they are a-changin'"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back