Album recommendation~
May 23, 2003 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

NewSc2

500+ Head-Fier
Ever since I saw Queens of the Stone Age live in concert, I bought their Songs for the Deaf CD and have been amazed by it.

For lack of a better description, they have a very hard rock feel, but the singer's smooth voice goes very well with every song. It's one of those albums in which every track (14 total) is very enjoyable, and I never find myself skipping through any of the tracks (except 1 and 6 sometimes).

Dave Grohl (of Nirvana and Foo Fighters) is the drummer in this album, and does a very very good job (listen to Song for the Dead all the way through).

Songs (/mp3's) to check out:

No One Knows (1st single, not the best song however)
First it Giveth
Song for the Dead (GREAT live)
The Sky is Falling
Go With the Flow (2nd single)
Do It Again
God is in the Radio
Another Love Song
Song for the Deaf
Mosquito Song (acoustic guitar/violin/piano song)

May 24, 2003 at 5:55 AM Post #2 of 10
Yup, it's a great album, one of my favourites from last year, I'd listen to it more often, if I could find my copy.

May 24, 2003 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by DLP
I really like Songs for the Deaf, and I think their video for Go with the Flow is just freakin awesome. To me, most of the songs on that CD just have an essence of speed/power.

Agreed (speed/power idea). I think that's what makes the album so good though, it's hard to find a good rock band these days that's just good. The whole (white stripes/vines/hives/strokes) thing is kind of dying out, and the new punk bands to replace them suck too (Good Charlotte, etc.)

May 24, 2003 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 10
Skipping the first song? That's blasphemous!! It's the perfect album starter... hell, it's such a cliche opener that they avoid doing that live, heh.

Anyway, there's three singers across the entire length of the album:

Josh Homme
Mark Lanegan (Screaming Trees)
and whoever the hell the bassist is :p (was also in Kyuss)

The bassist sings (read: screams) on both those tracks you dislike
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2003 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 10
He didn't even drum in the studio, AFAIK. It was just for the music video.

May 25, 2003 at 3:48 AM Post #8 of 10
One listen to the album and you can tell it's Grohl all the way through. If you need any further reassurance...

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...=A2zri284i05na

Might be surprised to find out that Dean Ween plays a lot of guitar tracks on the albums as well.

May 25, 2003 at 9:38 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by pikawel
Skipping the first song? That's blasphemous!! It's the perfect album starter... hell, it's such a cliche opener that they avoid doing that live, heh.

Anyway, there's three singers across the entire length of the album:

Josh Homme
Mark Lanegan (Screaming Trees)
and whoever the hell the bassist is :p (was also in Kyuss)

The bassist sings (read: screams) on both those tracks you dislike
smily_headphones1.gif

lol, i didn't particularily like the songs that they played live with him screaming

Users who are viewing this thread

Back