Album noob- watch out
Mar 15, 2005 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Cyclone

Headphoneus Supremus
Im looking into actually buying a couple CD's for a change instead of just jacking it off limewire. I was wondering if there are any Tool, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Nine inch Nails, or The Doors Albums that show off the use of gapless playback. I heard that Tool, NiN, and Pink Floyd all have albums where they have one song morph into another and i really want to buy an album that will do that.

Also where is the best/cheapest place to buy albums? I dont mind if its online or in-store

Mar 15, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 17
Every Pink Floyd album I've listened to uses gapless, it's essential to really appreciating it
smily_headphones1.gif
And for Tool, Lateralus is the biggie to have with gapless, but Ænima could use some gapless lovin' too
cool.gif

Mar 15, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #3 of 17
Sometimes only parts and sections of PF albums have gapless playback. I like to think of PF as more "movements" most of the time. You'll find that on many of their earlier albums there was no such thing as gapless playback. I believe that started on Ummagumma -- 1969.. good year
biggrin.gif

For Pink Floyd:

Obscured By Clouds
Ummagumma
Animals
Dark Side of the Moon
The Wall
Atom Heart Mother

All have gapless playback somewhere or another

Mar 15, 2005 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 17
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile is pretty gapless.....though I am not a fan of that cd.

Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here are your best bets IMO.

Mar 15, 2005 at 8:48 AM Post #6 of 17
Just pick up Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" gapless or not, it is a great album.

I had the luck of listening to it on my dad's Hi-Fi vinyl original setup many times. mmmm I wish I had that same setup.

Mar 15, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #8 of 17
If you guys have any other "gapless" album suggestions i would be more than happy to see what they are. Im pretty open minded about what i listen to except pop, rap, and flat out hard core southern country. everything else is pretty much open season.

Mar 16, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #12 of 17
Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

Mar 16, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #13 of 17
Along with the Pink Floyd theme, Roger Waters solo albums are all gapless on everytrack. Amused to Death, The Pros and Cons of Htchhiking, and Radio K.A.O.S.

Amused to Death is the best out of the three. Alot like the Final Cut album from Pink Floyd

Mar 20, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #14 of 17
Thanks a lot guys, i've been chewing on what you guys have suggested and i went with Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon. Mostly because i have it on vinyl and i really love that record. Next on my hit list of bands to support is either Tool or NiN. Anyone have any opinions on whether to buy Lateralus or Anemia? i dont need gapless i just want to know which one you guys think is better.

Mar 20, 2005 at 9:57 AM Post #15 of 17
If you are interested in a list of gapless albums, this is one that is being compiled at riovolution.com.
http://www.sentex.net/~dgerow/gapless_albums

It's just what people have listed in this thread, though.

A cheap place to get albums is this thing done by bmg , where you get one album a month for $6 including shipping, no yearly fees or anything else to deal with. The only downside is that they don't have the best selection. It's a great deal if you can find albums you like. I'm seriously considering signing up for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back