Albu, version/edition/release/print etc source?
Jan 27, 2009 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BloodSugar00

Headphoneus Supremus
As title says, I'm interested in knowing if there are any sources out there (on the Web) that archive, not only the discographies of (most) artists, but also list and describe the various different releases/prints/editions etc of each album, to date?

I'm in the throws of creating a new root directory for an mp3 version of my entire music library, and, as I'm doing it, I'm labelling both my .FLAC and mp3 (artist and/or album) folders more precisely, in the process- mainly, involving identifying, then denoting, as part of the folder titles, the version of an album and/or compilation the contained audio files are ripped from- and a dedicated source of such data would be a great bonus to me in this process! (to date, I've been using Wikipedia but I'm starting to notice it's limitations, inaccuracies and inconsistencies at this point; not only with listing all different releases of an album, but, also, in the reliability of the genres they assign to albums/artists, amoungst other, more tertiary tag data).

Thanks in adavnce,
smily_headphones1.gif

Steve

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 7
rateyourmusic.com for info on print/releases, quite reliable.

Jan 28, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 7
Couple of quick questions of any knowing individual:

'Genre' and 'Style'- is style, as far as the system for detailing album information is concerned, considered a sub-category of genre? Discogs seems to delinierate it the information as such; so genre captures the nature of the music in a broad context e.g. rock, and style is then used to detail a more precise idea of the musical content of the record, e.g. folk-rock; pop-rock; blues-rock; comedy-rock etc.

Using Wikipedia for such album information- prior to now looking at Discogs- I've been used to denoting the styles displayed on a record (as Discogs views it), in the genre section of the ID3 tag of all files belonging to an album, either customising pre-ripping, or the same post-ripping when further editing tags later on and once the files have been created. Is this technically wrong? Do sub-categories of a genre, as far as tagging is concerned, really belong in the 'style' field?

The print of an album- I would imagine it is the case, but, even if the version of a CD, say, you have is the 1990 Remaster Edition/version/release/re-issue, is it possible you could have a copy of that release mix that was printed after 1990 e.g. in 2007? If so, where could you find the year your copy was actually printed?

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good golly molly, obsess much?
tongue_smile.gif

Here's a *bump* for those interesting questions. Personally, I add a separate style field.

Haha! I can be known for it from time to time and the deeper I get into things
tongue.gif
. However, with building up an archive/colllection of something, I do place importance on this being done accurately, detailed and the most thoroughly organised it can be- for future reference and identification it's all there- and, with a copy of a record, there is so much information you can capture and denote about it! I'm just deepening in the amount of details I capture to identify and/or define the content of a release I have.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back